Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2021 21:00

Aurora R12, Unacceptable BIOS/Z490 configuration, 11th Gen Intel CPU's (RocketLake)

Dear Dell Team, dear community,

some technical findings with your latest Aurora R12 Rocket Lake rigs with a focus on memory.

Dell RocketLake Ram Issues.jpg

Issues:
1) Memory Controller is fixed to Gear 2 Mode despite memory clock. It should stick to Gear 1 until 3600MT/s memory frequency. Otherwise an option in BIOS has to be provided to change modes manually.

2) Read Value has a consistent and massive penalty applied when any XMP profile is enabled.

3) Memory latency is too high for the trained values. Please compare with Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI, ASUS motherboards with same kit and CPU.

4) CPU cache is all over the place with massive fluctuations that will impact gaming likewise (esp. L3).

It is reasonable to continue using Z490 for Rocket Lake. The choice not to allow for manual memory overclocking is fine IF the above is fixed given you are marketing the product to a certain clientele.

Yet the necessary work to at least deliver an acceptable performance in line with other board manufacturers has to be done.

Unfortunately, in the current state, this system configuration is unacceptable. Please check with the ODM of the board and make necessary adjustments.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 27th, 2021 20:00

This is my user bench score for the complete machine: Userbench 

Mostly UFO, lol.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 27th, 2021 20:00

Intel and Microsoft are collaborating on this upcoming release.  Alder lake is designed to work better and faster with Windows 11 than other operating systems.  Also, z690 and 12th gen Intel benchmark leaks have already surfaced.  Windows 11 is slated for October, with the official release date coming in the next couple days.  Highly likely Alder lake will launch with Windows 11.   

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 27th, 2021 22:00

That one actually sounds useful compared to the typical Intel CVE patch update.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Unless you need the updates because you are experiencing issues related to the items listed below, no, it does not do anything.

Fixes:
- Fixed the issue where the XMP Memory profile selected as XMP1 or XMP2 in the BIOS setup menu automatically changes to Disabled after system reboot.
- Fixed the issue where the system displays memory failure error code 2000-0122 in Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment (ePSA) diagnostics.
- Fixed the issue where the system displays a black screen after the Alienware logo is displayed while booting on 4 K monitors.
- Fixed the issue where an error message is displayed while running high-load applications on systems with 11th generation Intel processors (Rocket Lake-S).

Enhancements:
- Added Dell SupportAssist | Pre-Boot System Performance Check warning message that is displayed while booting after Real Time Clock (RTC) reset.

6 Posts

there is a new bios firmware 1.1.1.5 does that do anything..?

i am not tech savvy.. and a lot of the terms on this thread is confusing. but i got an r12 i7-11700KF 

6 Posts

August 27th, 2021 23:00

so after reading more basically we are stuck with this bottleneck.. 

seems finding and replacing other ram idoesnwork…from the previous post in the thread

xmp1 and xmp2 which should I be setting this? 
I tried both seems doesn’t make a difference? 

sorry this is like my first gaming pc shifting from consoles.. I donno much about this stuff..

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 28th, 2021 10:00

The bottleneck resulting in increased latency as described by some owners, has nothing to do with the type of ram used. In other words, swapping out the ram with other ram will not fix the latency issue.

The issue is with the memory controller settings (gear1/2 mode), a feature that is not supported on the R12 by design and therefore not available. This is not something that can be fixed by the user.

As for what XMP profile to select in your bios, you should select the profile that matches your advertised memory speed.

You can check your memory speed by opening up task manager and the performance tab, and the memory section of that tab, it should show you your memory speed. Should show 3200 Mhz if you purchased your system with DDR 3200 Mhz.

5 Posts

August 30th, 2021 05:00

Does changing out your motherboard fix this issue? It seems like a design flaw to cut your ram speed in half.

6 Posts

August 30th, 2021 07:00

I wish there’s something that can be done as I doubt being in Hong Kong they would give me a refund.. from what I’ve read most motherboards won’t fit lol

509 Posts

August 30th, 2021 08:00

No motherboard will Fit. The IO shield is part of the case and is not removable and the power button/reset button are a proprietary plug on the board

45 Posts

August 30th, 2021 09:00

So they are unable to fix it, since they are limited by the poor choice of motherboard

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 30th, 2021 11:00

This is what happens when the CPU manufacturer allows older generation chipsets to support newer CPU's.

Some boards will be able to support all the functions, some will not.

The same thing happened with the R10. The R10  Ryzen 3000 version does not allow upgrading to a Ryzen 5000 CPU, because it does not support it.

If both AMD and Intel would require new chipsets for each new generation of CPU, none of these issues would exist since OEM's would not be able to use previous generation motherboards.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 30th, 2021 13:00

To be clear:

- The latest R10 uses the previous generation motherboard and chipset. 

- The latest R12 uses the previous generation motherboard and chipset.

Initially the idea of upgrading a CPU while being able to update your BIOS on your "old" motherboard to allow support for the new CPU sounded great, but we have seen compromises having to be made with such solutions.

There are exceptions, usually higher end motherboards have less issues. But the average motherboard makes compromises.

509 Posts

August 30th, 2021 15:00

R10 v1 can infact use the 5000 CPUs, it was locked out because of the ROM size they couldn't fit the 5000 series update on it, chipset is fine they just used a small rom storage

5 Posts

August 30th, 2021 16:00

Is that shield your talking about a must have? Would some careful Dremel work and cutout along with a well placed fan not be sufficient?

No Events found!