Alienware Desktops

Last reply by 08-16-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Aurora R12, help with upgrading PSU

Alienware Aurora R12

So I'll try to keep this brief. I'm looking to upgrade an Aurora R12, starting with the PSU. I've done some research myself but nobody seems to give anything too concrete on which PSU would be compatible with the system due to it using specific sizes. I'm told that the recommended part has the numbers "0WTGN" and that "D1000EGM-00" is the PSU used, but unless I'm missing something I'm having trouble finding a PSU that really matches these.

My searches primarily lead me to the Corsair RM1000x, but nobody can 100% tell me if that'll work, so I'm going to ask here and see if anyone else has experience.

Thanks to everyone who reads this.

Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
3 Zinc

The Aurora R12 PSU is standard ATX format  . . . which means 86mm wide x 150mm tall; and the lengths will vary. The R12 OEM PSU is 140mm long. You should try to find a PSU that is 140mm long, because anything longer will start to take up your cable management space. The Corsair RM 1000X is a good PSU, but it is 180mm long. It will fit, but you will have less room for cable management.

You should also consider a fully modular PSU so the cables that you do not need can stay in the box. The 3rd party PSUs need to be able to fit a wide variety of case sizes, hence . . . the cables are long when you put them in the Aurora nano chassis. Be sure to have some zip ties.

Here are some fully modular, 1000 watt, 140mm PSUs from pcpartpicker 

(click photos to embiggen)

This is what my 140mm PSU looks like

IMG_3858.JPG

This is the Doghouse's 200mm PSU

Aurora R9 200mm PSU.JPG

View solution in original post

Yes, and for that you have to know these systems are OEM and very picky when it comes to aftermarket memory support.

It's a good idea to read up on the threads on this board about the experience others have had with memory upgrades.

The only memory to work guaranteed is the OEM memory.

Aurora R12 FAQ 

The TDP of your CPU is 65 Watts, which means low power draw. That is likely why they put a 550 Watt PSU in your system.

View solution in original post

Replies (24)
3 Argentum

First of all, why should you upgrade a psu for a R 12? second, why look at Corsair? You maybe want a 800  from Alienware, why need another? It depend on your graphic chard to improve the psu or not, so is that worth it? 

[Edit] That Corsair RM 1000 will sure work 100%, i ca ntell you that now, but why?

Currently I have a 550w. Is there a reason why I shouldn't upgrade it?

Yes, you are a factory user, and you aint want to mess with that...only when you change a RTX or whatever you migh be consider to change your standard psu , but again, you have a 550, why should you improve that?

3 Zinc

The Aurora R12 PSU is standard ATX format  . . . which means 86mm wide x 150mm tall; and the lengths will vary. The R12 OEM PSU is 140mm long. You should try to find a PSU that is 140mm long, because anything longer will start to take up your cable management space. The Corsair RM 1000X is a good PSU, but it is 180mm long. It will fit, but you will have less room for cable management.

You should also consider a fully modular PSU so the cables that you do not need can stay in the box. The 3rd party PSUs need to be able to fit a wide variety of case sizes, hence . . . the cables are long when you put them in the Aurora nano chassis. Be sure to have some zip ties.

Here are some fully modular, 1000 watt, 140mm PSUs from pcpartpicker 

(click photos to embiggen)

This is what my 140mm PSU looks like

IMG_3858.JPG

This is the Doghouse's 200mm PSU

Aurora R9 200mm PSU.JPG

I guess it's just been a while so I thought I'd upgrade it a little over time.

Thanks I'll look into this!

5 Iridium

So you mention you want to start upgrading the R12. I am assuming you have more upgrades in mind.

If that is the case, be aware these systems are OEM and do not conform to any ATX or other standard. They are therefore difficult to upgrade in terms of motherboard, cooling, etc...

If you are looking at multiple upgrades it is more cost effective to use a retail case, a retail motherboard and a retail CPU/cooler, and salvage the CPU, GPU, memory and SSD/HDD from your R12 as opposed to upgrade the R12 in stages using the original case and motherboard.

3 Argentum

Maybe interesting for Dell to create a RTX with liquid cooling, that would be amazing. Why not look what Dell provide?

The Aurora R13 and the XPS 8940 is where Dell jumped the proprietary shark. The R12, XPS 8930, and prior models conform 'mostly' to standard ATX format and can be easily modified. The motherboard front and rear I/O is the most proprietary, and the source of most difficulties.

XPS 8930

19.JPG

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor