Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2021 15:00

Aurora R13, WHEA Event ID 17 errors, black screen, shutdown

I got the Aurora R13 a couple weeks ago.  

12900KF, RTX 3080, 64GB DDR-5 4800Mhz (runs at 4400Mhz), 1TB m.2 drive.

I constantly get WHEA 17 errors and the PC will eventually black screen out and I have to power cycle the system with Kernal Processor power errors.

They sent a replacement 3080, but that didn't solve the issue. Also, I've turned off the link state PCIe option in power, and that didn't fix the issue. Here's a few things I've done.

I took the 3080 out, put a 980ti in the Aurora R13, no errors at all doing the same tasks and games I did with the 3080 that was getting the errors.

I took the 3080 and put it in another system, evga 850 PSU, 4790K, 32GB DDR3, S'Sung 860 ssd, no errors after two days of hard gaming and full load on the gpu.

Adding to that, I get a LOT of Kernel Processor Power errors warnings. Even id 37.

After using the 3080 without fault in the other system, and the 980ti in the Aurora R13, I swapped them back and within 20 mins, I was already getting WHEA event 17 errors in the R13.  

I sent the latest into to the support rep I've been communicating via email. We'll see what they say. 

ps I did ask for a higher rated PSU and they replied that the 750 that came with the system is the highest they have for it.

436 Posts

December 31st, 2021 05:00

Since I installed the new 1.08 BIOS, I haven't had a single error in any category. 4hrs of straight full load gaming, and 4hrs of idle.

January 1st, 2022 04:00

Hello,

After bios version 1.08 update, two days without BSOD or any other problems.

Kind Regards

Julian

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

December 27th, 2021 18:00

That is interesting. Is the PSU a standard ATX, or something different?

Otherwise I was thinking could try it out with the other PSU that is known to work, to pinpoint it down to either the PSU or something else.

436 Posts

December 27th, 2021 18:00

It doesn't appear to be a standard atx psu in the R13.

509 Posts

December 27th, 2021 20:00

The psu is recessed into the base. But that doesn't matter, it does not have a 24pin cabling the board uses a 10pin proprietary connection and you aren't going to find a replacement for it with a higher rating

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

December 27th, 2021 20:00

There goes the upgradability I guess...

436 Posts

December 27th, 2021 21:00

I think I might have fixed this issue after a LOT of troubleshooting.  It's been 6hrs and no errors so far.  I know I'm being very optimistic, but I want this thing to work lol.  I'll be testing it a lot over the next day or so and I'll update after all the testing is done.

509 Posts

December 27th, 2021 22:00

For sure, they murdered upgrade ability with the new lines. Board is a strange design with proprietary connectors, GPUs need that retention bracket on the end otherwise they sag, psu is in some strange recessed lock box. 

436 Posts

December 28th, 2021 00:00

The bracket "tail" at the end can be removed.  I took it off and it's holding just fine, no sag. 

The issue that I'm having SEEMS to be the 22.70.03 wifi driver that Dell has on their support page for the R13.  I went through each component in the computer and went to the part manufacturer website and make sure the most updated drivers available were installed.  Tested after each install.  

Here's the updated driver suite:

Intel® Killer Performance Suite

436 Posts

December 28th, 2021 15:00

While it lasted a little while, the errors have returned.  Not as frequent as before, but still happening.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 28th, 2021 22:00

436 Posts

December 29th, 2021 03:00

Interesting adapter!  It's unfortunately out of stock and I didn't find it elsewhere. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 29th, 2021 10:00

@F34R wrote:

The issue that I'm having SEEMS to be the 22.70.03 wifi driver that Dell has on their support page for the R13.  I went through each component in the computer and went to the part manufacturer website and make sure the most updated drivers available were installed.  Tested after each install.  

Interesting. To continue along these lines ...

Either

a. delete all Killer Networking, delete NIC from Device Manager and let Windows-10 PnP detect and use only NIC drivers from Windows-Update.

b. Deactivate on-board NIC from BIOS and install a PCIe ether net card.

c. If WiFi card is problem, just remove it. Don't use it, install a different one in PCIe-slot, or just use a WiFi USB-based dongle for a while.

It sounds like you know what you are doing, so not going into each scenario, but I think you get the idea.

And just so you know ... Killer Networking cards and drivers have always been a problem. Better lately and while Rivet owned. Not sure since Intel purchased.

2 Posts

December 30th, 2021 22:00

I have a R12 and it's doing the same exact thing.  Dell sent a Tech out with a replacement 3080.  Did not solve the issue.  They then had me return the PC and they replaced the processor and motherboard.  I got it back and reinstalled OS and all drivers and it started doing it again.  They sent a Tech out again to replace the motherboard and still same issue.  I will be doing something and the screen goes black and then it just sits there until I power cycle it.  Sometimes it will boot back up, sometimes not and I give up trying to power cycle.  Now they're going to exchange it for another one I guess.  It seems though I'll probably run into the same issue though.  

436 Posts

December 30th, 2021 22:00

They are sending a tech to do on-site mobo replacement.  I'm sure it's not going to help.  Just updated my bios from 1.02 to 1.08.  Let's see if anything was fixed other than the one thing listed lol.

Remember, mine only has issues with the 3080 in it.  With a 980ti, not a single issue at all.  Also, no issues with the other pc when the 3080 from the R13 is in it.  /shrugs

No Events found!