Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2021 17:00

Aurora R13, constant Black Screen, Reboots, BSOD

I was contributing to this thread , but the OP Solved it and his solution did not work for me so I am starting a new one.

Since my last post, Dell has sent me a new R13. It has the exact same problem out of the box. Black screen followed by a reboot. Dump says it was a BSOD:

WJTech_0-1640136650653.png

Doing a "Clean PC" install seems to fix the issue, but I have no control over cooling, lights, etc.  I'm 99% sure it's not hardware since I currently have two of them side by side with the same problem. I will need to return one of them in the next few days. 

According to @DELL-Nathalia M, a new BIOS should be dropping on 12/24. Hopefully this will address the issue.

I'm tagging a few people that I see are having the same issue so people know this is not an isolated case:

@kaoskey @Datbudda @Mike2507 @StarGazer10 @Mavrck48 @Jodokast242 @Arexadus @Jonny @Danmy118 

edit: apparently I can only mention 10 users in a post, so I will tag more in a reply

6 Posts

December 29th, 2021 09:00

I'll give that a try, I also found some other comments about this issue here as well. 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R13-auto-restart-when-playing-WOW/td-p/8089892/page/11

4 Posts

December 29th, 2021 17:00

Trying the solutions offered.  Experiencing multiple crashes a day noted as hardware errors in the reliability history.

December 30th, 2021 02:00

Hello @Villzard,

actually there is a new bios update existing. Maybe it would solve the problem. But it is really promising, this changes under bios with disabling processor sleep states in s4 and s5 alone solves the problem. After this change (also before) under the Event Monitor in Windows was also warnings about the pci-express. Because new mainboards have their own Pci Express Power Control it makes some conflicts with Windows own Pci Express Power management. Run CMD as an Administrator then copy/paste: bcdedit /set pciexpress forcedisable then reboot your computer ( if you have to undo this command: bcdedit /set pciexpress default ).

But I had also a problem if I wanted shutdown the computer it was always restarting again. To solve this issiue I had to change a setting under the bios for USB Wake-up to disable.

Kind Regards

Julian

December 30th, 2021 06:00

My Dell Alienware Aurora R13 functioning after the new bios update excellent until now. I have removed all the changes that I did before, under bios using with optimized settings loaded. And in the Event Monitor there is no warnings about the Pci Express Power. I changed the setting also on the AWCC from high to balanced. I did not changed anything under Windows energy saving settings. Until now four hours passed without any problem. I hope it is solved. But I will update this post every day.

Kind Regards

Julian

18 Posts

December 30th, 2021 10:00

Posted today as mentioned above:

WJTech_0-1640888424758.png

Installing now.

December 30th, 2021 15:00

My Aurora R13 is working properly since 12 hours and I hope that the great performance will stay consistent.

Happy new year, and thanks to the community and the DELL-Team.

Kind Regards

Julian

December 30th, 2021 17:00

I flashed my R13 with the new bios 1.08 from defaults values, well the flash went fine. after I went back in to windows 11 and shutdown then I unplugged the computer for about 10mins to check to see if everything was fine from a cold state then waited about 1min after first turning on the computer for it to finish the self test / power load test. then turned on the computer I got a fan rear error fan was running at full speed. I thought it might have a flash issue so I repeated the same thing a second time however I got the same fan error a second time. after clicking continue for the fan error then I shutdown the pc and unplugged for 5mins. then turned on the computer a third time after waiting 1 min like normally then turned it on and no fan error happened a third time from a cold state. also ran a full extended test in diagnosis bios utility after the third time I tuned the computer on from a cold state, all tests passed no errors.

overall I did noticed things seem a bit smoother, starting up takes about 7 secs and shutdown down now only takes about 10 or less instead like 30secs before. been running for about 3hrs so far no issues or random reboots. Video card shows up correctly now as 3080 LHR.

436 Posts

December 31st, 2021 05:00

Mentioned in my thread, since 1.08 installed, no errors whatsoever.  

2 Posts

December 31st, 2021 05:00

I installed the new BIOS update to see whether It will fix the issue but as long as the system restarted, I got a black screen, waited for an hour but still nothing show up on the screen. I turned off the system but then I can never turn back on anymore.
Now when I disconnected the power cable and reconnected it , the system will boot itself up for few seconds with a click noise, then it just shut down and I cant turn it on by pressing the power button.

I guess now the motherboard is dead. Luckily my R13 is still within the 14 days return period, I am now waiting Dell's approval for the replacement.

https://youtu.be/8nNFvcCqq4Q

December 31st, 2021 06:00

Hello x1883,

Can you try  undo bios upgrade? First reset bios there is an explation on the technical service manual. Later if you can rollback this bios update you can while computer is restarting press F2 for entering in bios and load optimited settings then save and exit. Sometimes computer tries itself restarting two or three times. If you break this procedure bios update cannot be completed.

kind regards

Julian

2 Posts

December 31st, 2021 08:00

I removed the CMOS battery but still no luck,  my computer actually won't stay on for more than 3 seconds, there is no way to rollback the previous BIOS version

122 Posts

I think I will wait a bit to see how things go overall with this new BIOS. I haven't had an nVidia driver kernel BSOD error in a while and I would rather not risking bricking my system since I am out of the return window on my R13.

18 Posts

This is where that amazing Alienware warranty comes into play. Don’t be afraid of a simple bios update. I’m stable Since the update, but I had achieved stability before. Hoping this solves it for everyone. 

18 Posts

Time to contact support. Sounds like a new MB may be in order. 

December 31st, 2021 09:00

I would unplug power cable then press alienware start button for 15-20 seconds then wait 10 minutes. After that if you have another computer and a usb flash drive prepare a bios updater with a new bios or previous bios file from the Aurora R13 support website. Maybe you can read how to prepare such a flash disk and how to really clear the cmos with jumper setting on the Tech Service documentation under downloads. Specially page 98 and 101

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/alienware-aurora-r13-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

Good Luck

I hope you will solve this problem by yourself.

Kind Regards

Julian

No Events found!