Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2022 11:00

Aurora R13, motherboard swap, windows activation gone

My windows is not longer active since Motherboard Swap ... 

• 

16.7K Posts

May 16th, 2022 10:00

seb851,

- Open Settings > System > Activation > Click on troubleshoot and see if Windows get activated.

If it does not activate Windows, do the following:

- Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator
- Type this command: wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

- Hit Enter. The code that will come up is your product key.

- Go back to the Activation menu on Settings and select Update product key. Try using the one you just got from PowerShell.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Windows will not retain Activation when you change motherboard.

You will have to use the COA Key or buy a new copy of windows which will come with a NEW COA and Key.

WIN10 OEM DVD B09WMTNVF2

WIN10_OEM.jpg

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

The OEM key is embedded on the board. I would think if the board was swapped under warranty, they should include the key with the warranty repair.

However, I am not sure how that works. Maybe @DELL-Cares has some more insight on this.

I remember this issue coming up a few times in the past with some other users.

210 Posts

May 13th, 2022 17:00

?????.... What ? My mobo ( ryzen)  burnt out late last year and was replaced. Memory modules, ssd etc were plugged back in on the new board, and started it myself I got the ftpm warning...choose yes and it it started with windows, no new key or window install

Just a simple swap

Could be a problem if the mother board replacement is not the same model.

210 Posts

May 13th, 2022 18:00

I might add most window license today are digital so it could be in your microsoft account if not and if you can't, find it you might use the alienware OS recovery tool to re-install windows factory using the service tag. or look in windows settings activation if it's not activated you could find an option for hardware changes....

210 Posts

May 13th, 2022 18:00

...and don't forget to put service tag number on the new board bios, if the same  model  if needed

May 24th, 2022 07:00

Good to know there are MORE steps I'll need to do -_-  Dell rep is scheduled to replace my mobo this afternoon on my r13.  I'll be sure to remind him to confirm that windows is properly activated.

No Events found!