Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

E

2 Posts

November 25th, 2022 16:00

Aurora R15, what is a 16A PDU and where do I get one?

I just ordered a new Alienware Aurora R15 with the 1350W power supply. It says to plug it into a 16A PDU before you plug it into the wall. Is that just a special surge protector or what is it? Where would I get one for home use? Does the Aurora R15 have a special power cord head? Sorry I am a bit confused here.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 25th, 2022 16:00

It should come with a PDU, because of the 1,350 Watt PSU rating and your circuit breaker being 15 Amps.

That being said I would ensure you have a dedicated circuit for that PC. If you have a bunch of other things running on that circuit you are likely going to trip the breaker under maximum load.

Tripping circuit breakers with these high end PC's is a thing these days...

R15 PDU 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 25th, 2022 17:00

Hopefully it will come with one of these: C19 to NEMA 5-15P 

If they did use a C19 power cable for the PSU it will not fit into a regular socket due to the ground prong being square instead of round.

So yeah, that page is not exactly helpful....

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 25th, 2022 20:00

@Vanadiel wrote:

So yeah, that page is not exactly helpful....

Maybe they will publish a supplemental doc on what it looks-like and how it works/connects.

What is does show (that is cool) is the external WiFi antenna ... I had no idea Alienware was doing that on the new ones.

OK, I'm back to watching this thread to see what happens next.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 26th, 2022 05:00

Well if you look at the power supply specification it lists 16 Amps as maximum power draw for the 1,350 Watt PSU.

So by electrical code, you cannot plug that into a regular 15 Amp wall socket style NEMA 5-15P. Instead you have to use a C19 power plug to ensure it cannot be accidentally plugged into a NEMA 5-15P regular household outlet.

And to make sure you can't do that, the ground pin on the plug is square instead of round, and will not fit into a regular wall socket. They normally use these type of plugs in server racks.

I am just hoping Dell supplies the proper conversion cable (PDU) rated at 16 Amps. If not, I don't know how you would plug it in...

210 Posts

November 26th, 2022 17:00

The pdu could have 5-20P/C19 power cable then:

In wall 20A circuit , 12awg wiring, 20A panel breaker ( often found kitchen, laundry room, garage)

20A wall duplex receptacle/outlet

NEMA 5-20P to IEC C19, 12awg SJT power cable

567981.jpgUntitled-02.jpg

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 26th, 2022 19:00

Yes, but most homes use #14 wiring and 15A wall sockets for most household rooms.

I guess we will have to see how this is going to play out...

1 Message

December 7th, 2022 14:00

I just got mine and it comes with the C19 end that you need and the other end is just a regular 15amp plug that will fit in your wall socket.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2023 15:00

I too have this issue and totally clueless on a PDU. It appears so does Dell. Are you saying the previous computers had a wrong power cord, why they needed a PDU? Mine is 300v. So can I just plug it into the wall/surge protector? If this looks a bit funky..Im on hold with Dell and typing with 1 finger!

1 Message

April 8th, 2023 14:00

Just received a new R15 with a 1350W PS. Spoke to customer service and informed a 16A PDU not required. The cable DELL provided is C19 to NEMA 5-15P .  Connector to the wall outlet is standard and fits fine. The C19 end fits as well to the R15 as you'd expect. Have to say that the cable is really heavy duty and must be rated to carry significant current.

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

April 9th, 2023 01:00

Here in Germany you get the manual with this 16A PDU-notice too. I was wondering why because in Germany every wall socket provides a maximum of 230V/16A. The cable comes with a normal (in Germany) schuko-plug (CEE 7/4) and works just fine in a normal wall socket. Any yes the cable is quite thick (1,5mm2). I think if DELL customer service states a 16A PDU is not required anyway the notice in the manual should be removed.

1 Rookie

• 

176 Posts

April 9th, 2023 05:00

Your lucky, 750W is the the non upgradable power supply here in Australia, alongside a non upgradable 4080 RTX. 16GB of 4800 MHZ memory and if you want the rear and clear side panels, you will be charged for it. You want a hard drive which Dell have persisted with as everyone else ditches them as well as the tiny boot SSD open your wallet. Your also getting the basic 13900 processor.

Any upgrades to that, you pay for, except other than the memory sold at a ridiculous price you cant cant upgrade any of it.

I pity the poor unfortunate users in Australia who buy the R15, when it slowly dawns on them they bought an expensive lemon. 

No Events found!