Highlighted
jmaan
1 Nickel

Aurora R4, how do I set back up after both HDDs failed?

I have a backup on an external and also a new hdd. But I cant boot to it. Should I buy a restore/repair disk or a new windows disk? I dont have the original product key. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: How do I set back up after both hdds failed?

What exact model do you have and what version of Windows are you trying to install?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
jmaan
1 Nickel

I have an alienware aurora r4 desktop and windows 7 home premium.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Why is the Windows CoA key sticker not on the back of the machine?

Are you the original owner?

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
jmaan
1 Nickel

No, and all I see is the manufaturers sticker

0 Kudos
jmaan
1 Nickel

I dont mind getting a new key I just need to know what to buy

0 Kudos
Cass-Ole
4 Ruthenium

A desktop case w/an original Alien mthrbrd, the alien-logo factory OEM 7 Sp1 DVD installs activated w/out need for a product key, typical source for new/used is eBay (when available, $10-$40 typical) or try AlienAddict's (virus-free exact copy of OEM DVD) Mega download

DVD no longer sold through Dell, u can call/chat them if they still sell it on USB

Other sources for (64bit) reinstall media that need a product key are Micro$oft & Dell

Most people burn Addict's (or M$) copy to DVD to get up & running & then decide what to do later

It's been a while since I reinstalled 7 which needed update scan patches to work, see this if need be or try google search for latest info > Post-install how to fix update scan

edit: "I dont mind getting a new key I just need to know what to buy / all I see is the manufaturers sticker"

7 product key label is inboard, see photo ... Windows 8.x PCs did not get a rear label, the product key is digitally tattooed into the Bios chip

If you have (or buy) the OEM Alien-logo DVD & have an original alien mthrbrd, ALL versions of 7 install activated (Home Pro Ultimate), you do not need a product key for any of these three versions, u just need the OEM DVD (example: desktop was originally sold w/ W7 Home > if u purchase a Pro or Ulimate OEM DVD, both will install activated, by design)(you're free to purchase & install Home Pro or Ultimate)

Alienware Multi-Language OEM Reinstall DVD Part#'s to look for:

7HP DRGYF >< 7HP SP1 T8R68 >< 7Pro SP1 0KK7H  >< 7Ult SP1 W2X98

Only Alien Logo DVDs install already pre-activated onto an alien mthrbrd (& your 7 install will upgrade to W10 as normal / til time runs out)

Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@Cass-Ole wrote:

If you have (or buy) the OEM Alien-logo DVD & have an original alien mthrbrd,

ALL versions of Alienware OEM Windows-7 install and activate (Home, Pro, Ultimate),

you do not need a product key for any of these three versions, u just need the OEM DVD

Read that carefully @jmaan  . 

Pretty sure Pro and Ultimate will still (just barely) qualify of free Windows-10 Pro 64-bit upgrade.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

jmaan
1 Nickel

Holy cows! I found the key its there! Awesome. Now what do I just find the oem disk somewhere? Do I have to update to win 10? I would rather keep 7, but anyway thank you guys so much.

0 Kudos
jmaan
1 Nickel

All I can find are different version of the installation disk, is this the same thing?51tta3gKBgL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

0 Kudos