Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2019 06:00

Aurora R4, unable to install Windows 10?

Hi guys!

Sometimes the installation "stops", sometimes it gets installed but after a few seconds the operating system "freeze".

The problem is getting worse with newer copy of win 10. The one that always installs is the build 1709. Right after the installation though, it gives me a BSOD with the ks.sys error, which I found out in my case it is due to the nvidia driver, so uploaded that driver no more problems.

The latest (1809) won't install at all. I feel Alienware/Dell should release a BIOS update 'cause maybe there's some incompatibility issues with Aurora-R4 and Win 10.

The end of support of Win 7 is approaching so what should I do?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 6th, 2019 03:00

As a last resort, take it to a (qualified) PC repair shop and have them install it for you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 5th, 2019 06:00

Are you doing a complete hard drive reformat, during the install or just the "C" and boot sector?

Here is the installation instructions from the tenforums.com  see if there is something missed during your installation.  Dell supports Win 10 on this model (there are Win 10 drivers listed).  There is some diminished/non support in later Win 10 versions for some older hardware.  I can't say but maybe the video card is one that is no longer supported in Win 10?? 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

February 5th, 2019 08:00

Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

I do a clean install (complete hard drive reformat) of win 10 but that doesn't help.

The installation usually stops at the "getting files ready for installation (random percentage)". My video card is the NVIDIA GTX 680, is it still supported?

I read the guide you linked and I do everything correctly.

I really don't know what to do to get this work...

Any other advice?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 5th, 2019 10:00

Are you installing using UEFI or non UEFI?   If you are installing non-UEFI, give UEFI a try.  The hard drive will be formatted in GPT (for UEFI).    Also keep the Internet connected as Windows will get updates while installing.   I've had it hang at 40% for extended periods during some installs.

The video card compatibility is just a thought, probably OK.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2019 10:00

@Mercurio2013 wrote:

1. Sometimes the installation "stops", sometimes it gets installed but after a few seconds the operating system "freeze".

2. The one that always installs is the build 1709. Right after the installation though, it gives me a BSOD with the ks.sys error, which I found out in my case it is due to the nvidia driver, so uploaded that driver no more problems.

3. The latest (1809) won't install at all. I feel Alienware/Dell should release a BIOS update 'cause maybe there's some incompatibility issues with Aurora-R4 and Win 10.

1. A completed Windows install is a good test of hardware.

2. I'm running v1803 on some pretty old HP and Dell machines, including an Aurora-R1.

3. I don't think that is required ... nor will that ever happen.

February 6th, 2019 00:00

Hi.

1. OK so my hardware got tested

2. Good for you... On mine it freezes or not install at all

3. Shame on Dell/Alienware

Any other helpful advice?

February 6th, 2019 00:00

I'm using UEFI

I understand what you're saying but I've tried so many times... With a USB and even with the old fashioned DVD...

I don't know why but on my pc win 10 won't install and with the latest build, things are getting worse...

I guess I'll keep win 7 for ever

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

I would create a new Win 10 install media and try with that, in case there is some corruption on the install media you are using now.  There is no reason it won't work, others have successfully upgraded (installed) Win 10.

Use the Media Creation Tool to create a new UEFI install media

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

February 6th, 2019 04:00

lol yes I think this is my last hope!

No Events found!