dougefresh091
1 Nickel

Aurora R5, BSOD after installing NVMe SSD

I've been having issues with my PC since I got it, with the HDD running at 100% for no reason. Long story short the solution I was given by customer service was to install an SSD. So recently I did this, installed Windows 10, and the computer was running great, until it started going to BSOD. I had updated drivers, BIOS, and installed Adobe programs, Steam and a few games. Not much else. 

I've done lots of googling and have tried lots of fixes, but nothing is working. 5-10 mins of gaming goes to blue screen with this error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Editing photos has also sent me to blue screen as has dropping files into Google Drive. 

Unless someone has a better suggestion I'm going to try to reinstall Windows 10 again. Is there anything I should do before I install? Should I use a different installer? Do I need to change anything in the BIOS? Any help is appreciated. 

Alienware Aurora R5 Base
2TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s - - NOT CONNECTED
1TB Hybrid drive (Seagate, user installed aftermarket) - NOT CONNECTED
Intel 512 GB NVME SSD
850W PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB GDDR5
Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Overclocked up to 4.2GHz on all four cores)
Windows 10 Home-HE (64bit) English
16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: BSOD after installing NVME SSD.

Turn to your ram memory.

I was having really bizarre issues a while ago, and after running the diag test through the bios, it was the ram memory.

Replaced, and all is good again.

0 Kudos
dougefresh091
1 Nickel

Thanks for the suggestion. I had run a memory test using Windows Memory Diagnostics and it came back fine. 

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

@dougefresh091 wrote:

1. I've been having issues with my PC since I got it, with the HDD running at 100% for no reason.

2. Long story short the solution I was given by customer service was to install an SSD.

3. BSOD  5-10 mins of gaming goes to blue screen with this error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Editing photos has also sent me to blue screen as has dropping files into Google Drive. 

4. Unless someone has a better suggestion I'm going to try to reinstall Windows 10 again.

1. Hard problem to fix.

2. I love using SSD as boot drive, but HDD should work. This was not a true fix.

3. Right, problem is still there

4. Are you doing a true clean-install (Windows-10 ISO and almost no Dell drivers) or

... are you just doing a Factory Restore that loads all the Dell supplied stuff back on?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
dougefresh091
1 Nickel

I'm doing a clean install using the Windows 10 installer on a USB stick. After that was installed I downloaded Dell support assist and Geforce to update the drivers and whatnot. If I need to wipe this drive again, it's not a problem, I just wanna make sure I'm installing properly. 

EDIT: And FWIW you're correct that installing a SSD is not a true fix. You were the same person that replied when I last posted about a year ago. This PC has mostly collected dust since I got it due to this issue. I'm on HDD #3 now... Dell had no more support to offer me besides telling me to upgrade to an SSD. To say that I'm frustrated with this purchase is an understatement. This is my last effort to get it working before I get back on the phone with Dell. 

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

@dougefresh091 wrote:

1. I'm doing a clean install using the Windows 10 installer on a USB stick.

2. After that was installed I downloaded Dell support assist and Geforce to update the drivers and whatnot.

3. If I need to wipe this drive again, it's not a problem, I just wanna make sure I'm installing properly. 

- Keep all Over-Clocks OFF (forever).
- Should be running a recent BIOS
- Aurora-R5 should complete ePSA before continuing.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

1. Good. Created at Microsoft.com, right?

2. No, "cleaner" than that. Do not install Support-ASSist or anything from dell.com.

3. After initial clean install, let Windows update itself until it is done.

If there are no errors in Device Manager ... no Dell drivers are needed.

Get Nvidia drivers from nvidia.com (lean, so no GeForce Experience ).

If fans and lights are barely behaving, do not even install Alienware Command Center yet. See how this runs

If finally good, install (only) AW-CC to finish.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
dougefresh091
1 Nickel

1. I've been using the official installer from MS. 

2. LOL, noted. I will not get this. 

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna give this a shot tonight! 

0 Kudos