Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

5 Posts

April 11th, 2020 16:00

Aurora R5, M.2 not showing in BIOS

I am looking for help adding my V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA M.2 drive as my boot drive. When I open the utility menu and look at the M.2 PCIe SAD it tells me None. I know it is knowing because I can open the drive when I am in the OS. If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Craig 

20200411_184742.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 11th, 2020 17:00

tbh that bios image you uploaded looks like legacy mode.  you need to change boot to UEFI mode to see the ssd as device I think.

5 Posts

Even if it is not showing up in the bios?  I can't tell the bios to boot from that drive

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

if you want the ssd as boot drive, you need to remove the hdd and do clean install of Windows in the ssd using UEFI bios.  after successful OS install boot from ssd to see if everything is good.  then connect sata data cable to hdd.

5 Posts

April 11th, 2020 18:00

Where and how would I change that.... Never messed with the bios other then add my other ssd, which was way easier.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 11th, 2020 19:00

look at pictures of BIOS in this thread.  Under boot tab there is option to switch between Legacy and UEFI.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R5-DVD-RW-drive-not-detecting-any-CD-s-at-all/td-p/7411529

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

April 11th, 2020 20:00

I am looking for help adding my V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA M.2 drive as my boot drive. When I open the utility menu and look at the M.2 PCIe SAD it tells me None. 

1.  Maybe because you do not have a PCiE SSD installed?  The 860 Evo SATA SSD is not a PCiE SSD.  It is SATA SSD.  PCiE is different.  From my understanding the R5 does support a PCiE SSD (though it's not mentioned in the service manual). 

2.  So what happens when you load and boot from a bootable windows 10 flash drive with only the Evo installed (HDD unplugged)?  Are you not able to proceed with a win 10 installation to the new Evo drive?  

5 Posts

April 12th, 2020 02:00

Thank you for all the support and information, after looking it to the issue more I see that this bios just does not show it is there.  I did remove all other drives and load for my boot USB and that took care of the issue.  How ever when I go into the bios it still reads as if the m.2 is not there even though it is the boot drive.  

I take it as a lesson learned. I should have done more homework into this before just jumping in.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 12th, 2020 06:00

M2  is the socket.

PCI-E M2 is not SATA.

B keyed units are SATA

M keyed only is PCI-E.

Samsung 860 is B keyed aka its SATA  NOT PCI-E M2

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-860-evo-m-2-sata-500gb-mz-n6e500bw/

Two types of M.2 SSD (SATA and PCIe)

1. SSD's using the SATA bus have B & M keys
  2. SSD's using the PCIe x4 bus are M-key only
    • NOTE: SSD's using M-key only are PCIe x4

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln301626/how-to-distinguish-the-differences-between-m-2-cards?lang=en

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

April 12th, 2020 07:00

So are you saying you are now able to boot from the M.2 sata ssd, although it is not specifically listed in boot device priority list inside BIOS?

"With Legacy BIOS booting, you always to choose to boot from a device, like a hard drive.  With UEFI boot, that only applies to things like network adapters and optical drives.  When booting from an internal storage device like a hard drive, you don't just choose the device.  Instead, a UEFI boot option for an internal storage device is actually a path to a specific bootloader FILE on a specific partition of a specific disk.  These have to be registered into the UEFI firmware, which is typically handled during OS installation.  Windows Setup does this automatically as part of its installation routine, for example, and after you install Windows, you'll see an item in your UEFI boot options called "Windows Boot Manager"."

No Events found!