Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

November 26th, 2018 10:00

Aurora R6 HD Upgrade Question

Hello Everyone, First time post so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

With all the cyber Monday deals around I was looking to upgrade my HD to an SSD (currently have the stock 2Tb spinning HD that came with the R6). So I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Should I upgrade to a 2.5inch SATA SSD or an M.2 NVMe?

2. If I go the 2.5in route - is there a way to make the 2.5in drive my primary boot drive BUT keep my installed my standard 3.5in 2tb HD at the same time as back up/storage

3. If I go the M.2 NVMe route is installation easy? Are there SSDs that are compatible vs not compatible with the R6?

4. Anything I should watch out for when installing a M.2 vs a 2.5in SSD?

Anyways I apologize if those are dumb questions. I appreciate your insight and help!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 26th, 2018 10:00

@N189 wrote:

Hello Everyone, First time post so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

With all the cyber Monday deals around I was looking to upgrade my HD to an SSD (currently have the stock 2Tb spinning HD that came with the R6). So I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Should I upgrade to a 2.5inch SATA SSD or an M.2 NVMe?

2. If I go the 2.5in route - is there a way to make the 2.5in drive my primary boot drive BUT keep my installed my standard 3.5in 2tb HD at the same time as back up/storage

3. If I go the M.2 NVMe route is installation easy?

3a. Are there SSDs that are compatible vs not compatible with the R6?

4. Anything I should watch out for when installing a M.2 vs a 2.5in SSD?

Anyways I apologize if those are dumb questions. I appreciate your insight and help!

1. NVMe if possible since it's 5-times faster than even a fast 2.5inch SATA-3/600 SSD.

2. Yes. SSD as boot and then data-files on D: is a good config.

3. "Easy" is a relative term.

3a. Any SATA and/or PCIe/NVMe SSD should work in Aurora-R6

4. I suggest you read recent threads ... all info has been posted many times.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

No Events found!