Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 10:00

Aurora R6, HDMI message

When I start my computer, I keep getting the message "No HDMI signal from this device."  I don't know what the implications of this are.  I currently do not have sound on my computer and do not know if the two issues are related.  I run Windows 10.  Any help would be much appreciated.  thanks!

8 Posts

I have Alienware Aurora R6.

I'm trying to figure out how to tell what kind of monitor, but it is a dell.

I am using the cables that came with the computer.

Thank you for trying to help me.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

What computer and monitor do you have and what kind of cable are you using?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Gretan wrote:

OK.

Answer the other questions when you know the answers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Gretan wrote:

Are you connecting the video-cable to the upper built-in port or the one on the lower video-card in the lower card slot?

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 13:00

Thanks for your patience.

The monitor is Dell S2418H/S2418HX.

I believe that I am plugged into the built-in port. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2019 13:00

@Gretan wrote:

1. The monitor is Dell S2418H/S2418HX.

2. I believe that I am plugged into the built-in port. 

1. It might look pretty, but this appears to be a low-end consumer-targeted monitor. It doesn't even have a DisplayPort input-port.

2. I would connect it to the lower AMD (or Nvidia) dedicated video-card instead.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2019 14:00

@Gretan wrote:

Connect the display to the discrete graphics card of your computer."

Correct.

That's what I said, almost verbatim.  :TongueTied: 

8 Posts

I only see two spots that I have already been trying. I'm not sure where else I can plug in.  Sorry.  A little computer impaired here.  The two spots are side by side and I have tried each one.

8 Posts

Per start-up guide, "The DisplayPort on the back panel of your computer is covered.  Connect the display to the discrete graphics card of your computer."

8 Posts

I'm not sure how to do that. 

8 Posts

Yes, I am in the lower one.  When I plug it in, "HDMI input" flashes on screen; but, when I restart, I get the same error message.  I'm ready to give up.  You have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

AFAIK, all Aurora-R6 shipped with some kind of dedicated video card pre-installed (on the USA website anyway).

The Aurora-R6 PDF manual should show both the built-in and (separate) dedicated video card locations.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2019 17:00

@Gretan wrote:

1. Yes, I am in the lower one.

2. I'm ready to give up. 

3. You have been very helpful and I appreciate it.

1. That sounds correct. Try the upper built-in one also (might get-you-by for a while).

2. I suggest you take a break. Do you have any friends or family that know a little about computers? Ask them to bring a plain 3-6ft HDMI cable with them.  :Smile:

3. Sure no problem. I've been in your place many times.

402 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 18:00

How many HDMI inputs are on the back of the monitor?  If it's more than one, are you sure your monitor is on the input that's actually connected to the PC?

Edit: I just checked your monitor's manual.  Seems you only have one HDMI and one VGA port on the back.  I assume the monitor was working fine before then just stopped receiving a signal?  If you haven't changed anything with the PC hardware prior to this happening, try swapping the HDMI cable with another known good one and see if you get a signal.

No Events found!