Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R6, M.2 NVMe SSD compatibility, #5

Hello I would like to know which worth of M.2 NVMe will be compatible with the Alienware Aurora R6 and also if possible what's the interface? Is it "M" or "B+M"? Please let me know as it's my very first time upgrading my Alienware Aurora R6. Thanks. If possible it will be best if I could have a configuration where I have at least one storage like an M.2 and the rest I am planning of to get a NAS Storage.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 18th, 2020 18:00

The R6 will accept an "M key" M2 PCIE Nvme SSD like the Samsung Evo 970.  M key is the fastest option for this slot. 

Here's my post on upgrading: 

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Installing-3-x-1TB-M-2-Samsung-PCiE-NVME-Drives-in-Aurora-R7-8/m-p/7474557

26 Posts

May 18th, 2020 22:00

Just looked over it, I heard the max storage capacity for Aurora R6 is 3TB they mentioned on a guide saying 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD is it true they are limited or can I expand it even more?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 19th, 2020 04:00

Yeah, Dell doesn't sell it with drives larger than 2tb, so it's only validated with drives up to that size.  Larger drives will still work, but you need to initialize it with GPT (not MBR) otherwise you will only be able to use 2tb. If you're looking for that much space it may be more cost effective to get something like a 1tb m2 + a larger 2.5" SSD for additional  storage.  

26 Posts

May 20th, 2020 17:00

Also for how long have you kept this configuration and for how long do you expect your storage to be will intact before you need a replacement any estimations or guesses? Because my Dell 2TB 7200RPM HDD failed within 3 years of use so I just wanted to know whether the M.2 SSDs and the 2.5" SSDs which you own or posses will last longer than my HDD?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 20th, 2020 20:00

I think that really depends on many factors, including but not limited to blind luck, the quality of the drive, the type of drive, environmental conditions, and the amount of use it gets (e.g., terabytes written).  Most retail hard drive manufacturers warrant the drive for around 3 to 5 years, so I would expect on average use, a drive should last at least that long.  I've had drives last longer, and shorter, I don't think anyone can guarantee a useful life.   

I've had this setup for about a year now, no issues so far. 

26 Posts

May 21st, 2020 04:00

Also I have checked your posts just wanted to ask how did you add 3 M.2 SSD's? used some sort of splitter or adapter...? Also you mentioned that it's better to get a 1TB M.2 SSD and a larger 2.5" SSD so that it's cost-effective is that true? Because I am thinking of switching my hard drive into something which is more reliable (in terms of long term usage) and something which is cost-effective as you mentioned.

26 Posts

May 21st, 2020 12:00

Ignore my previous post... really sorry. Instead can you help me out in this? Like how much storage should be my next storage upgrade? Since I am upgrading from a 2TB HDD to an SSD... I am thinking of getting an M.2 NVMe and a 2.5" SSD should I have a 500GB NVMe and a much larger capacity for the 2.5" SSD like a 2TB or more? or should I just have a 1TB M.2 NVMe and a 1TB 2.5" SSD? Like can someone suggest me a solid number for my next upgrade?

Also does the M.2 NVMe performance decreases as the storage capacity increases?

At the moment I have made a list for which M.2 NVMe brands and 2.5" brands to buy, so if someone could really help me sort out my list into maybe top 3 picks for each category?
In M.2 NVMe SSD's I am looking for the WD Black 3D, Samsung 970 Pro/Evo and Crucial P1(edited)
In 2.5" SSD's I am looking at Samsung 860 Pro/Evo/Qvo and Crucial MX500...

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 14:00

Personally, I like the price point relative to size of the 1tb nvme ssds.  

Yea, you should get as much storage as you need for the sata drive.  You would know best how much you need.

October 6th, 2020 03:00

Good morning Sir. @r72019 

I own an Aurora R6 and would like to upgrade my M.2 SSD memory.... I see the Samsung Evo 970 should be ok but I guess if the new Samsung 980 PRO 1TB with new PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c is compatible.

Thank you

BunkerBuster

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

October 7th, 2020 21:00

Keep in mind that the R6 doesn't support PCiE 4.0 so you wouldn't benefit from the increased bandwidth over 3.0 at x4 lanes.  

October 7th, 2020 23:00

HI @r72019 thank you for your answer, really helpful.

Bunkerbuster

No Events found!