Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2019 11:00

Aurora R6, what exact model HDD did it come with?

Was a 3.5 inch 1b HDD. I misplaced it and will be replacing it and was wondering what exact model it came with originally.

402 Posts

March 5th, 2019 04:00

@posthxc1982 wrote:

Thank you both/ I actually do have an SSD as the boot drive. A Samsung 850 Evo 500GB. I wanted to replace the original HDD with a compatible one. Wasn't sure how compatible it had to be. Thank you both for the advice. I will primarily use it for storage and for games that I'm not concerned with how fast they load. I mainly have World of Warcraft installed on the SSD. Not really a fan of SSHD's. I will consider one now though. Not sure if I really need one unless I start putting a lot of games on it. I will probably buy a 3.5 inch 2tb+ unless someone can steer me with a convincing suggestion towards a SSHD of comparable size.

In my experience, hybrid SSHD's don't really offer a significant throughput boost.  A 7200 RPM SATA drive with 64mb of cache would suffice just fine for your need.  Any 3.5" SATA drive will work; it doesn't have to be identical to the one that originally came with your PC.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 4th, 2019 12:00

My Aurora-R6 came with a 1tb Toshiba 7200rpm spinning HDD, but with a 512gb NVMe SSD, I don't really use it.

It just sits there (spun-down sleeping). I'm thinking of disconnecting it.

If I was you, I would install a 2.5inch SATA-3/600 SSD instead. You can get a name-brand 1tb SSD for cheap.

402 Posts

March 4th, 2019 13:00

Also, if you just want something with a lot of storage space for cheap, you can pick up just about any 3.5" SATA hard drive. If you do, try to get something that spins at 7200 rpm and has a large cache buffer.  They also make "hybrid" drives that are mechanical with a smaller portion of solid state memory that's used to pre-load the most often accessed data. Those are a tad more expensive that plain mechanical drives, but far less costly than SSD drives.

27 Posts

March 4th, 2019 18:00

Thank you both/ I actually do have an SSD as the boot drive. A Samsung 850 Evo 500GB. I wanted to replace the original HDD with a compatible one. Wasn't sure how compatible it had to be. Thank you both for the advice. I will primarily use it for storage and for games that I'm not concerned with how fast they load. I mainly have World of Warcraft installed on the SSD. Not really a fan of SSHD's. I will consider one now though. Not sure if I really need one unless I start putting a lot of games on it. I will probably buy a 3.5 inch 2tb+ unless someone can steer me with a convincing suggestion towards a SSHD of comparable size.

No Events found!