Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

8 Posts

October 19th, 2018 03:00

Aurora-R7, 3200MHz memory upgrade

I have an Alienware Aurora r7  i7-8700K CPU Liquid cooled, 850w psu and a GTX 1080 ti video card.  The manual states that the max memory that the system can support is up to HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933 MHz.  On the web site it can be configured with 64GB of dual Channel Hyper X DDR4 XMP at 3200Mhz.  I would like to put in the following.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-HX426C16FBK2-32/dp/B07BJJJSQ1?th=1

It would be two kits of 2x16 since they don't offer 4x16.  I'd install them in pairs.  Any thoughts or suggestions.

15 Posts

October 19th, 2018 06:00

Where did you find the possibility to configure 3200MHz RAM? Can´t see it anywhere, even in different countries.

8 Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

right from the configuration page on dell.com.  It gives 2666Mhz, 2933Mhz and 3200Mhz options ranging from 16GB to 64GB and mostly dual channel options.    

35 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 08:00

What did you end up ordering?  

And

Did you ever figure this out?

I just ordered a R7 with the 3200 option, now I'm reading all of these things that it can't handle it.  If not, I have no idea why you have the option to add this RAM.

I would appreciate a reply when you have time

Thank you very much in advance

December 2nd, 2018 09:00

The R8 will do 3200, but the R7 is still capped at 2933 to the best of my knowledge. So I am going to go ahead and assume the misleading info will have Dell saying "oops" while changing the details in the sales description.

Unless of course they are using a whole new board for the new order R7's but doubtful as it still isn't compatible with the i9 cpu.

35 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 10:00

Hey, thanks for replying so fast, I really appreciate it.

I actually don't know too much about these things, when you have time I would appreciate you helping me with these follow up questions:

So what does this mean exactly? 

Does this mean, I just payed all that extra money for this faster RAM, and it won't do anything?  When I check when I get the computer, it is going to say I have 3200 or 2933?  If so, is have the 3200 in there better (or worse) in anyway then just having 2933? Will the 3200 perform any better or worse then just having 2933 in there?

If I want to add RAM to it in the future, do I have to buy 3200 since that will be what is in there, even though it will show up as 2933?  Or should I just buy 2933? Or would buying 2933 make it not work as well since technically 3200 is what is in there?

Also, any other advice/things you feel like adding I appreciate as well.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help

175 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 11:00

my understanding is that aurora r7 cannot make use of memory faster than 2933; ofcourse you can buy faster and it it works, it won't run any faster than 2933 so the money is wasted.  there are those that recommend stick to 2666, cheaper and will work and is not noticeably slower than 2933.

also bear in mind that r7supports only certain ram configurations, this is listed in manual but from memory:

1 x 8 = 8

2 x 8 = 16

1 x 16 = 16

2 x 16 = 32

4 x 16 = 64

I'm looking at memory upgrade (hyperx fury 2993) most likely will go 2 x 8 Gb, can't really see that for my purposes I need any more than that

December 2nd, 2018 13:00

Does this mean, I just payed all that extra money for this faster RAM, and it won't do anything?

-yes, but I doubt they will put anything other than the 2933 in there (unless you ordered the 2666)

When I check when I get the computer, it is going to say I have 3200 or 2933?

-2933 if you have xmp enabled (in overclock settings/ bios)

If so, is have the 3200 in there better (or worse) in anyway then just having 2933?

-3200 is technically faster but most likely a minimal real world difference

Will the 3200 perform any better or worse then just having 2933 in there?

-see above

If I want to add RAM to it in the future, do I have to buy 3200 since that will be what is in there, even though it will show up as 2933?  Or should I just buy 2933? Or would buying 2933 make it not work as well since technically 3200 is what is in there?

-you will likely have the 2933 in there due to the confusion being simple mis-information on their site most likely (I would call if I were you to confirm what you are actually receiving).

Also, any other advice/things you feel like adding I appreciate as well.

-what CPU are you getting? If anything short of the 8700k, then 2933 ram is quite pointless in my opinion, and you should save your $ while sticking with the standard 2666 stuff. Also, in my opinion, the bigger difference in performance would be the quantity of ram, not the speed. For example 16gb of 2933 ram will not be as beneficial in games or video editing/heavy usages as 32gb of 2666 would. Ultimately for the R7 the more 2933 you can afford to cram into it, the better. Consider 16gb of any ram type a new 2018 *minimum standard* for any respectful "gaming or editing pc".

35 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 14:00

Hey thanks so much.

I picked out the R7 with a 8700k, with 32 GB of the HyperX 3200Mhz RAM

It is pretty upsetting that Dell is giving people the option to select this RAM, and pay all of that extra money, when it will not do anything.  Also, not only that, it is the principle of this whole thing as well.

So when the computer comes, it will say I have 2666?  Then I go to the overclock settings/bios, enable xmp and that will make it say 2933, or 3200?(Most likely 2933 unless they did something to the mother board like someone mentioned in a previous post?) Or will it still say 2666 after xmp is enabled, but be performing at 2933 or 3200? If so, how do I test/find out if it is actually performing at 2933/3200 

Could you also please tell me exactly which folders/how to get to the overclock settings/bios to enable this xmp option?

Also, will it physically say on the sticks of RAM inside the computer what Mhz it is? So I can know for sure what they put in there?

Thanks again for your help guys

December 2nd, 2018 15:00

Without xmp enabled, it will show 2666mhz (2933 when enabled).

You can set your overclock within the bios or the alienware control center application that comes pre installed. This application will also show whether your ram is under xmp and what speed it is running at.

Dell oem ram has a sad little white sticker on it's side with a very minimal description. You would have to remove it to read it. Download cpu-z as it's a very handy tool to have a look at what your pc is made up of. 

Don't think too much into this stuff, it will come with time. I had no idea about any of this stuff until after I got my R7 and started researching these things. When you have a vested interest, you will deff educate yourself, trust me...it will come.

Soon, you will be adjusting fan profiles, overlocking graphics, adding new peripherals, upgrading this and that, and enjoying your pc.

35 Posts

December 2nd, 2018 19:00

Hey thanks a lot for all of your time.

I apologize to ask the same question again, I just didn't quite understand your answer:

I do realize and understand that it is very unlikely that they will put the 3200 in there.

I realize that even if they do, it will only show up as 2933 at the most with xml enabled. 

But I remember reading somewhere, when you add RAM, you want to make sure it is the same kind of RAM, otherwise it won't work properly.

If for some reason, they do end up putting the 3200 in there, and it caps at 2933 as expected, and I want to add more RAM in the future. Is buying 2933 ok and will work properly? Or do I have to buy 3200 (even though it caps at 2933) because that will be what is currently in there, and buying the 2933 will mess it up, or not make it work as good as it should be/as it's supposed to, etc? Since there will be 2 different mhz of RAM in there

Thanks again

December 2nd, 2018 20:00

You will want to buy the EXACT ram they initially put in there. Unless of course you replace all of it with something else altogether. Ask them for the part# of the ram so that you can have it handy if you plan to buy more in the future.

6 Posts

December 4th, 2018 12:00

I purchased a 3200 Mhz, CL14 32GB memory kit that works with the Aurora R7 UNTIL you reboot (see attached). I feel like it's something Dell can address with a bios update or something because it seems rock solid stable.  I put it through Prime95 and 3D Mark and it stayed up. When I reboot, the **bleep** thing blinks 4 times and I have to reset the OC configuration. It's pretty frustrating because I really wanted to go with the CL14 memory. 

https://snag.gy/0X3285.jpg

Any thoughts? 

175 Posts

December 5th, 2018 14:00

Which oc configuration are you using, 1, 2 or your own custom settings. 

August 23rd, 2020 01:00

Late to the thread but incase anybody gets the upgrade bug. I installed 4x 16gb HyperX Fury 3200mhz sticks and it works great now. Initially windows wouldn't boot and then an Alienware support tool automatically scanned the machine and came back with errors - “memory limits exceeded”. I was sweating now but I knew the i7 8600 and board should be able to handle it so I played around with the settings. What ended up fixing the issue is reboot into bios and disable XMP all together which throttles the ram back to 2400mhz.  Windows boots and does whatever it needs to. Reboot into bios and enable XMP1 and boom! She runs perfect. Been stress testing, playing games, video editing, batch rendering, etc. Absolutely no issues and 100% stable. Hope this helps.

No Events found!