Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

38 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 18:00

Aurora R7, AlienFX LEDs not working

I have not messed around with these for a long time but just realized that my LEDs are not working at all. I completely reinstalled my system but still the same result.

AlienwareAlienFXTester says the current version of the board is 0.00.00.

Does that say that for anyone else with a Alienware Aurorar R7?

Thanks for any help.

alienfx.jpg

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2019 17:00

26 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 07:00

Hi, thumbs up for this. Got the exact same issue. Using latest version of Control center. Tried a clean uninstall/reinstall. Nothing seems to work. Just sent a support request to DELL, which I would have liked to avoid... If anyone has a fix, thanks for sharing

January 23rd, 2019 08:00

I am on an R7, and have not seen that graphic layout for led control...

Sure you are on the correct version of AWCC?

I use the page that includes the keyboard and mouse along with the desktop led control.

26 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 08:00

Hi, 

Can you screenshot what display software you are using? I'm getting really confused between Control center & command center.
The screenshot shown is from the in-house AlienFX Tester system. This is just normally a sanity check to verify everything is OK with the system. 

I'm using Command Center to deal with Fans & desktop FX. 

And Control center to deal with mouse/keyboard FX. 

January 23rd, 2019 18:00

I use the command center (same place as adding oc profiles and power options etc). First page shows cpu fan profiles etc, second led options, third power options, etc etc/

Honestly never seen what you are using...

Not at home to take a screen, but I will tonight when I get the chance.

Sure you aren't using the "new" AWCC that was meant for the Alienware "X" series or whatever?

It was marketed for all users to control their keyboard and other peripherals, but you can't use it for systems led effects on the aurora series.

Go to driver page, and look for the AWCC that specifically states (R6+ or aurora).

Edit: Rodrigo already posted the correct AWCC download version.

26 Posts

January 24th, 2019 13:00

I use both actually, uses both the standard command center for fans, alienfusion etc, and the "new" one for the peripherals like keyboard, mouse. For some reason the old one can not handle peripherals as well. Tried to look into further softwares. My guess is that because in some games the leds are "synchronized" with the game, it might cause some bug. My question is where can I disable this feature? And my other question would be, would there be any conflict between AlienFX software and other softwares ? (i'm using Geforce Experience and EVGA Precision X1 for example) Tried to open up the desktop to see if everything was ok, all seems correclty plugged in. Pretty sure it's a software issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 24th, 2019 19:00

@Cendrecoeur wrote:
1. My guess is that because in some games the leds are "synchronized" with the game, it might cause some bug. My question is where can I disable this feature?

2. And my other question would be, would there be any conflict between AlienFX software and other softwares ? (i'm using Geforce Experience and EVGA Precision X1 for example) 

1. Disable "3rd Party AlienFX Access"

More optimal settings here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/td-p/6063705

2. There should not be. Anyway, both of those are non-essential ... so easy enough to uninstall them to troubleshoot.

26 Posts

January 25th, 2019 14:00

Tried uninstalling both and still no luck. My desktop leds are still down. I'm using the latest available version oc AW CC for the R7, that is to say the 4.8.20. Tried to erase the previous windows update but had no effect. Tried to do the "20 seconds power button push" technique, but also no effect. I'm currently in touch with Dell assistance but would like to avoid as much as I can to deal with them. Any ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 25th, 2019 15:00

If a clean install of proper AW-CC does not help, you likely have a Windows corruption problem or a hardware problem.

AFAIK, there is no "outside of Windows" LED-Test (nor is it possible in ePSA).

38 Posts

January 26th, 2019 10:00

I went through many iterations including reinstalling windows and it still did not work. A tech came in and replaced the motherboard too. Still no luck. I just shipped it to the depot for repair.

26 Posts

January 26th, 2019 10:00

ePSA does not have any specific "Led''s test" indeed, however it tests all cables in the system. The ePSA test (the "quick" one) says that all is good and that all tests have passed. So I doubt about hardware issue. If this is a windows related issue, which might me possible. What should I do ? Should I try to "repair" windows or something? I want to avoid to reset my system entierly just because of LED's. A DELL techie might come in a few days, but honestly, if I can avoid this I would. Thanks for the help

26 Posts

January 26th, 2019 13:00

**bleep**...you should definitely ask for a compensation for this. It's completely absurd that for a 3k$ gaming desktop, such kind of basic issues keep happening. I'm gonna try a windows reset. Hopefully gonna have more luck. I think changing motherboard is pointless. Motherboard issues are often shown with error messages at boot.

26 Posts

January 26th, 2019 14:00

Did you try to open it up and remove both of the side panels , especially the "'right" side panel to check if the connectors were correctly plugged?

38 Posts

I am suspecting it is the controllers in the side panels of the computer

what does your alienfxtester say for board firmware and version?

26 Posts

exactly same as you ! Version 0.0.00. Can not even run the test. 

That's why I posted on this topic. Because I saw your screenshot and I was like "oh that's exaclty what I have!"

I tried to open the desktop to see if the internal connectors were correctly plugged in and the "LED connector" was properly plugged to motherboard. Everything else looked OK. Didn't look into all the PSU cables though.

I really don't think the board itself is defectuous otherwise, we would run into a much harder bunch of issues. Must be something very simple. If you get your desktop back and they find the issue, just post it here, would help ! thanks!

No Events found!