Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

38 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 18:00

Aurora R7, AlienFX LEDs not working

I have not messed around with these for a long time but just realized that my LEDs are not working at all. I completely reinstalled my system but still the same result.

AlienwareAlienFXTester says the current version of the board is 0.00.00.

Does that say that for anyone else with a Alienware Aurorar R7?

Thanks for any help.

alienfx.jpg

26 Posts

January 26th, 2019 14:00

Juste done a Windows OS reinstall on my system and still Led's won't light up. 

So, in the end, despite what I thought, this is a hardware issue definitely. 

Could this be related to the small CMOS battery plugged on motherboard?

26 Posts

January 28th, 2019 14:00

Hum, i really don't wanna ask them to change the full motherboard, that's a heavy work. And I might encounter other issues after that. I'm pretty sure it's something really simple, like a connector issue or this stupid button- cell battery that might be defectuous.

26 Posts

Small update, checked everything inside. Seems fine. Dell says it's a motherboard issue, which i'm not convinced at all. The PC works like a charm except from this Led issue. If the mobo was damaged, i'd probably run into other issues no?

38 Posts

Yeah, don't think it is a motherboard issue. It is a mystery on why it stops working. Apparently the bios update is supposed to update the firmware for the controller too. At least that is what support claimed. Somehow the controller bios is messed up. It showed 0.0.0. in my case for the last two months.

26 Posts

January 28th, 2019 15:00

Thanks.
I'd rather NOT send it back for repair honestly, that would annoy me a lot. Did they mention how long this would take?

Just tried to reset the BIOS setup, but nothing changed.
The AlienFX software is controlling the Led's but as you said, for some reason it does not recognize the board. (version 0.00). 

I really suspect this of being a stupid connector or something. 

38 Posts

January 28th, 2019 15:00

Also, i read somewhere that the entire controller now is all in software and it them talks to the LEDs. I did check the cabling and they all seem to be plugged in. I will post when i get it back with details on what they changed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2019 20:00

@Cendrecoeur wrote:

The AlienFX software is controlling the Led's

Then what is the problem ?

26 Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

Problem is, even when I say to Alien FX to GO light, nothing happens, the lights stays off whatever I do.
Tried to make the clean reinstall of Command center, tried to reinstall the OS, tried to flash the BIOS to default settings, tried to check if all connectors were plugged, and so on.
Nothing makes a difference.
DELL support claims that the LED connector is down. This specific connector is attached to the mobo and cannot be changed by itself.
Therefore, I'm going for a full mobo replacement.
Hope it's gonna be oK.

26 Posts

January 30th, 2019 09:00

Update: DELL tech is gonna change the full mobo incl LED connector.
Will let you know if this has an impact.

38 Posts

February 1st, 2019 04:00

They just shipped the system back to me. I will receive it Monday. So, it takes about 10 days.

Here is what was replaced.

• VDT73 - Motherboard
  • V593G - Cables and Cords
  • NDP7T - Mechanical Hardware And Plastics
  • MD09M - Mechanical Hardware And Plastics

February 1st, 2019 10:00

Cross your fingers you don't receive it back with scratches and other obvious damage!

A different forum member experienced this.

26 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 11:00

thanks for the update.
keep us posted if issue is solved

26 Posts

February 9th, 2019 07:00

Did the replacement of the components above solved the issue for you?

38 Posts

February 9th, 2019 09:00

Yes it did.

i think it has to do with the connecter contact with the side panels.

But I will never know as it works perfectly now.

26 Posts

February 10th, 2019 13:00

thanks for the reply. So the mobo replacement didn't cause any other issues with the PC? It came back without any damage?
No Events found!