Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2020 09:00

Aurora R7, Case Swap, #2

Hello Everyone, just wanted to let you all know I have searched all over the web, and every single other similar topic, and could not find a solution. I have the Aurora R7 and I want to swap it to the NZXT H510 case. I was wondering what parts would not fit from my old system? So far the motherboard and the PSU seem to not work, so I am planning on purchasing the following replacement parts =

NEW MOBO: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6Z9KJ2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

NEW PSU:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W956JBC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

NEW COOLER: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JF6NDC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I am assuming the ram from the Alienware mobo will fit, along with my Intel i7-8700k CPU into the new MOBO. 

Also, my GPU is a 1060 6GB. So to make sure, are these the only parts I will have to buy, will the old ram and CPU work with the new mobo?

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2021 14:00

There are a number of other issues you're going to face.  Will the Alienware I/O panel fit the aftermarket case (my bet would be no)?

Are you aware of the non-standard wiring Alienware uses, from the front panel to the power switch to the other case connections?

Also carefully check the mounting holes - they may well not line up with an aftermarket case (though some cases have swappable standoffs, will those align with the Alienware board?

Replacing the fans will likely mean wiring them directly to the power supply -- and even if the connectors fit, the Alienware case will be looking for a thermistor loop on the fan itself, so you may well find bootup errors.

There is a lot to consider before trying this -- the proprietary nature of OEM systems makes it more likely you'll wind up replacing the system board with a standard one (which in turn means you'll need to budget for a full Windows license, as you cannot transfer the OEM license to a new system board).

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

December 28th, 2020 09:00

You have things pretty well in hand. Just bear in mind OEM Windows licenses can't be migrated to new systems, so include the cost of a full Windows 10 license in your upgrade budget. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 28th, 2020 12:00

@narnia7 

If you have a M.2 SSD for boot and storage, that should also transfer over. I don't know if you currently have an optical drive, but I did not see a place for one in that NZXT H510 case.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 28th, 2020 12:00

What's wrong with the PSU?

Or you just want to upgrade it from 460 to 700?

4 Posts

December 28th, 2020 13:00

Personally dont know, but after browsing multiple forums on the issue, it does not transfer.  Also if im getting a new one, might as go with an upgrade.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2020 13:00

do u know if the mobo transfers?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

December 28th, 2020 14:00

There's nothing special about the oem 460w PSU that would prevent you from using it in a different PC.  It's a standard size and includes most cables, excepting there is no molex, and it only has one 4 pin ATX so somewhat limited there.  You can't mix cables between psu's but this one is nonmodular so it wouldn't be possible to remove the cables anyway. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

The motherboard uses proprietary connections for the led and power button, it would require a manual rewire to work with the power button in an aftermarket case.  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

OEM 460w psu:

Dell PSUDell PSU

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2021 13:00

I wanted to come back again to share my research results to make sure they are correct before starting this project. First thing, I was told that the IO shield of the r7 mobo is part of the case. Therefore I would need a new IO shield when swapping the mobo to a new case. I believe that I solved this by finding an alienware r5 IO shield on ebay, which I believe to be exactly the same size and shape as the r7, meaning I could use it as the IO in my new case. Secondly, I have found many posts regarding bios startup errors when swapping the stock fans with aftermarket ones. After researching this, it appears the top fan specifically needs a Corsair 120ml pro non led to function, but I was wondering if any of the noctuas would work, because I have a seen a few people get them to. Also, how many fans does the alienware r7 mobo support? I was planning on buying 4 fans for it, and transferring most of the old parts to the nr600 case by cooler master, which is good with 4 fans. Will any of the noctua fans between 1700rpm-3000 work as fans for the r7 mobo? In all, i plan on replacing all of the fans with noctuas which have 1700 RPM at least, replacing the stock AIO cooler for the CPU with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087VL2Z21/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1, and a new PSU. Any input is appreciated, mostly looking to see if indeed 1700RPM+ Noctua fans work with this mobo, and how many it supports. Thanks.

568 Posts

January 24th, 2021 13:00

I saw somewhere there may be exceptions on OEM licences, like your current MB is broke, calling MS could sometimes result in a transfer of the OEM   worth a try maybe

@narnia7 look forward to the pictures

No Events found!