Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

December 8th, 2018 18:00

Aurora R7: EVGA G3 PSU and GPU_PWR Question

Hi, 

460W PSU's been making a loud buzzing sound so I'm looking to change it to an EVGA G3, just had a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone done this upgrade and if so, how was it?

2) For my 460W PSU, I noticed there are only 4 pins (despite looking like an 8 pin) going INTO the GPU_PWR in the mobo. For the EVGA PSU, with a 4+4 pin connector, should I only use 4 pins and leave out the +4? Additionally, on the PSU's end, the 8 pin should go into CPU or VGA for the GPU_PWR cable?

Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

December 9th, 2018 09:00

Read the following post which nicely describes the solution and how to.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-replacing-PSU-with-EVGA/td-p/6190096

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 9th, 2018 11:00

@AuTomnZ wrote:

1. For the EVGA PSU, with a 4+4 pin connector, should I only use 4 pins and leave out the +4?

2. Additionally, on the PSU's end, the 8 pin should go into CPU or VGA for the GPU_PWR cable?

1. No. Just treat it as another CPU power connection.

2. I suggest you consult manual for after-market PS. However, my guess would be PS-socket marked CPU. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 9th, 2018 13:00

@AuTomnZ wrote:

1), since my current stock PSU only has 4 pins going into GPU_PWR if it will cause problems that I plug in 8 pins

2) too much power potentially? -

1. No

2. Not an issue since it only draws the power it needs.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for the response!

Just wanted to clarify for 1), since my current stock PSU only has 4 pins going into GPU_PWR if it will cause problems that I plug in 8 pins (too much power potentially? -- sorry, not very sure on this)

No Events found!