Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 27th, 2018 07:00

Aurora R7, GPU questions

From looking at reviews and pictures it appears the GTX 1080 and 1080Ti  in the R7 are very generic /cheap looking compared to pictures of the R5 and R6 which appear to be founders edition cards. Can anyone confim this?

Thanks

2.3K Posts

January 27th, 2018 09:00

Any cards in your Alienware are going to be OEM cards, meaning they will look 'cheap or generic' but they are made by whatever company Dell is going with at the time. It could be Zotac, Evga, Asus, whomever. They do not wish to spend extra having the OEM of the card make it flashy like a retail card would be.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 29th, 2018 22:00

The one Dell pre-installed in my Aurora-R6 last year works fine. I push it hard with Fallout-4 and WoW for hours per gaming-session. Rock solid ... whole machine is actually.

Nvidia GTX-1070 OEM (8gb) PCIe (back-blower).

Hard to tell, but to me it looks like a MSI Aero clone (but with just a plain black plastic cover).

Since I don't over-clock either, I see no performance difference between this and this MSI Retail card now in my old Aurora-R1

MSI Nvidia GTX-1070 Gaming-X (8gb) PCIe (open-fan & 1-inch taller).

If you want something like this MSI or maybe a Zotac, go ahead and swap it out. Just remember to stick to the old form-factor of the FE and Aero cards, because I don't think these "1-inch taller" cards with enhanced coolers will fit in an Aurora R5-R6-R7.

74 Posts

February 18th, 2018 21:00

I looked over the 1080 ti in my R7, new in November; had heard that it was an MSI Aero.  Sure enough, the PCB is labelled "Micro-Star MS-V360".  It looks exactly like the Aero except for the missing logo on the fan hub and LED logo bar on top.

The thing to know is that these cards are much alike except for the monitoring and cooling, since they use the same GPU, etc.  Some are somewhat o/c'd already, but all can be to about the same level IF the card is kept cool.

I took my Aero out and replaced it with an EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Gaming because it has two differentially operated fans, elaborate heatsinks and nine monitoring points.  For a see-thru case side, there are LED's which show temperature range at VRM's, memory, etc.  It does run cooler.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 19th, 2018 10:00

@hrgreen wrote:

I took my Aero out and replaced it with an EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Gaming because it has two differentially operated fans, elaborate heatsinks and nine monitoring points.  

1. Is it normal height or 1-inch taller (see above pic)?

2. Do you think one of these cards with the new (1in taller) form-factor would even fit? With the Power-Supply bracket there, I couldn't tell for sure.

74 Posts

February 20th, 2018 02:00

Anything up to 5.4" high should fit without the bracket.  The cards with the 120mm fans would not, by a small margin, unless the back arm sticking out from the ps were modified.

However, the SC2 card is only about a third inch higher than the original, this due to a cover, so it will fit without the bracket.  It wouldn't be hard to modify the bracket, but I just leave it off.  If I were going to move or ship the system, I'd remove the card.

1 Message

April 26th, 2018 12:00

The larger cards will not fit- I have a MSI 1070 that is larger. Tried. Failed. the angle bracket connecting the PS to the locking retaining plate is about 1/4" shy of closing. I could remove that bracket but would lose some integrity there. I'm super disappointed because if the engineering was just a tiny bit better this would work. Debating returning this thing but my discount made this with a 1080ti a fantastic deal. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2018 12:00

@Nelson6wrote:

The larger cards will not fit- I have a MSI 1070 that is larger. 

Thanks for checking and verifying that.

As for the other comments ... I agree. Especially since this new video-card form-factor is becoming so popular. However, I'm not sure why ... seems like 2-3 normal-sized fans would work fine. On my MSI GTX-1070 Gaming-X (in my old Aurora-R1), the fans hardly turn-on anyway most of the time.

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2018 10:00

Wish I saw this thread earlier. I am in the same situation. I got a MSI gaming x 1080 but cannot fit because of the stupid angle bracket. How would you remove the angle bracket? Just a few screws? I don't think the angle bracket is doing anything and wouldn't mind to remove it if easy. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2018 11:00

@mwwwww wrote:

1. I got a MSI gaming x 1080

2. but cannot fit because of the stupid angle bracket.

3. How would you remove the angle bracket? Just a few screws?

4. I don't think the angle bracket is doing anything and wouldn't mind to remove it if easy. 

1. Nice card

2. Right

3. I think it would take a Dremel tool 

4. Looking at the pics, seems to only support the Power-Supply when top-screw is removed and PS-cage is swung-out.

Have you tried the lower slot ?

3 Posts

August 11th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your reply.

I tried the lower slot, no luck it still hit the angle bracket. I checked the connection on the angle bracket, see attached picture. It seems the empty ring-shape thing is the one that makes the connection. Is this some kind of a rivet? any idea how I can take them apart? a drill?

IMG_20180809_090437.jpgIMG_20180809_090447.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2018 10:00

Alternatively, if you left it installed (retaining most of the support) I wonder how much you would have to remove with Dremel to allow card to fit? I just noticed those L-marks . Just thinking out loud  :Smile: carry-on ...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2018 10:00

@mwwwww wrote:

1. I tried the lower slot, no luck it still hit the angle bracket.

2. I checked the connection on the angle bracket, see attached picture. It seems the empty ring-shape thing is the one that makes the connection. Is this some kind of a rivet? any idea how I can take them apart? a drill?

1. Thanks for trying that ... I've been wondering about that since this issue came up a while back. There are a lot of cards with this new form-factor.

2. Nice pics. :Yes:
Yes, if there are rivets or spot-welds, it seems like it would be easier to just "drill them out". Remember, like any Dremeling ... great-care should be made to remove every single metal filing or shaving from machine. I think I would remove the PS and video card, and then cover the MB with dense cloth. Vacuum and/or wipe down case with slightly damp rag afterwards.

Maybe first watch some vids about guys going heavy case mods ?

1 Message

August 11th, 2018 18:00

Ripp if off with your'e hands that's what I did I couldn't fit a asus 1080ti cause it was to big with the 3 fans 

3 Posts

August 11th, 2018 21:00

Yes I did rip it off without a drill, just a screw driver.

I was frightened by Tesla1856's comment about being super careful when drilling. So I just tried to bend the lower part of the angle brackets with a vise. Then I accidentally "broke" a connection point. I just use a vise and a screw driver, little by little, took the stupid angle bracket off. Don't know what the connection exactly is, seems not a rivet or welding. The angle bracket seems to be harder than I expected.

IMG_20180811_153455.jpgIMG_20180811_162407.jpgIMG_20180811_160218.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2018 22:00

@mwwwww wrote:

Yes I did rip it off without a drill, just a screw driver.

little by little, took the stupid angle bracket off.

Good work :Yes:

I think it's worth it to get a MSI Gaming-X GTX-1080 installed. That card is real nice with it's back-plate, enhanced cooler, and other high-end build features. The "MSI-Gaming-App" is non-intrusive and works fine for me.

No Events found!