Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

February 15th, 2019 12:00

Aurora R7, GPU upgrade, RTX 2080

Hi all,

I bought an Alienware Aurora R7 last year. Currently has;

I7 8700 - LC chassis 16gb - 2666 ram 128 gb ssd And 2 TB HDD And a 1050 ti. 460 psu

I'm looking at upgrading my 1050 ti and understand it needs to be at most 11 inches long though 10.5 officially.

I want to buy the 2080 Sea Hawk X, has its own liquid cooling system but my question is;

A) will it fit at 10.55 inches?

B) the fan attachment it comes with will that fit in the front fan position?

C) air flow of case, if this 2080 does fit will the airflow still be correct?

Obviously need to upgrade PSU as well, any leads on something that would fit above needs and follows the quiet theme I'm trying to bring?

Sorry total newb here. Thanks for your help

February 15th, 2019 20:00

Water cooled graphics cards are pretty much outta the question for Aurora series. You would have to mod the case somehow (usually by ripping out the side swing support bracket). Also the front fan is integral for the Aurora series, you would be best to leave it there. 

With that said, you can still find RTX series cards that fit (just barely), but obviously air cooled. The best option would be the back blower type (exhaust hot air out the rear of the card and your case). It's just how the system is built, it's compact...and it needs all the air flow it can get. 

So front intake to bring in cool air, graphics card intake fan to suck cool air in and blow the excess hot air out the back of your case. Aurora series desktops with aio water cooled cpus will exhaust the cpu heat out the top. 

But if you are rocking a standard i7 8700 (non k), then you are air cooled. This means an even higher need to utilize the back blower style of graphics card options. 

Also, with regard to your psu, you would be best to upgrade it to the 850w...even if you stick with the higher end 10 series or RX/Vega series of gpu's. 460w just barely cuts it as your setup sits right now.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2019 20:00

@JBrake001 wrote:

1. I bought an Alienware Aurora R7 last year. Currently has;

2. I want to buy the 2080 Sea Hawk X, has its own liquid cooling system but my question is;

3. Obviously need to upgrade PSU 

4. Sorry total newb here. Thanks for your help

1. If this was your plan, an Area-51 would have been better/easier.

2. Not sure I would ... seems like a lot of work. Radiators still need fans.

3. Correct ... for ANY GTX-2080 (even a fan-ed one). My Dell-OEM GTX-1070 back-blower does not really get that loud ... even at max utilization. 

4. This is not a newbie kinda project.  :Smile: It is cool though.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-liquid-cooling-unit/m-p/7221892/highlight/true#M8320

No Events found!