Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2020 23:00

Aurora R7, GPU usage rate low

I was wondering if there was any way to boost my GPU's usage rate. I have an i7-8700 and a 2070 Super Ventus in an Alienware Aurora R7. When in game, I am getting a lower frame rate then I would have thought, and when I checked I was only using 50% of my GPU's power. How do I make it so the game uses the rest of it?

2.2K Posts

June 10th, 2020 09:00

@NotDjay :

I was wondering if there was any way to boost my GPU's usage rate. I have an i7-8700 and a 2070 Super Ventus in an Alienware Aurora R7. When in game, I am getting a lower frame rate then I would have thought, and when I checked I was only using 50% of my GPU's power. How do I make it so the game uses the rest of it?
  1. Check that you have "NVIDIA Control Panel" when you right click on your desktop, or "NVIDIA Settings" icon in the notifications area of your taskbar. Then access it to load up the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Go to your game and see if GPU utilization goes up. If not, install MSI Afterburner and enable 100% power usage.
  3. Also, check that under AWCC, you are not running in "Power Saving" profile. Similarly, Windows 10 power profile should be "Balanced" or higher.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 10th, 2020 02:00

There is no such control over cpu or gpu.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2020 07:00

@NotDjay   I have an i7-8700 and a 2070 Super Ventus in an Alienware Aurora R7. 

Do you have the liquid cooling option for your CPU?

9 Posts

June 10th, 2020 12:00

@Anonymous No, my PC does not of liquid cooling for the cpu. However, the temps are not that high for the CPU

@GTS81 I have already done steps 1 & 2, but I will check step 3. Also, it is kinda weird because when I'm playing TABS it is using around 95% of my gpu, but when playing Fortnite, it uses around 50. Sorry, but what is AWCC? I know where the windows power saving profile is.

2.2K Posts

June 10th, 2020 12:00

@NotDjay :

AWCC is Alienware Command Center. That software from Dell that you install to control any lighting and overclocking in your system. There's power profiles installed in AWCC too and you want to make sure it's not power-saving and limiting your frame rates.

What frame rates are you getting in Fortnite? Also, what's the resolution and detail level for the graphics during Fortnite? If you benchmarked your system using 3DMark or Heaven, does it show high GPU utilization? Also, you'd want to check if your CPU is thermal throttling during Fortnite and that's starving your GPU from working to its full potential.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 10th, 2020 13:00

@GTS81    Also, you'd want to check if your CPU is thermal throttling during Fortnite and that's starving your GPU from working to its full potential.

That is what I was wondering.  This will be the first person ever on the entire planet that is gaming with the Aurora Easy Bake Oven with an air cooled CPU that claims their temps are "not that high" . . . what ever that means 

9 Posts

June 10th, 2020 13:00

Sorry, I was looking at my GPU temps . My cpu temps are high (around 70 degrees Celsius), so I will look into liquid cooling for it.
As for Fortnite, I am using the low settings that will get me the best frames. I will try to switch a few settings to see how it works. In heaven benchmark, my GPU usage hovers around in the mid to high 90%. Also, I will see my CPU usage in fortnite to see if it's bottlenecking my GPU.

No Events found!