Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2018 11:00

Aurora-R7, Gigabyte 1080, bracket not fitting

I just bought a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Gamer G1 8GB to replace my 1070 card in my Aurora R7. Everything fits fine with the 1080 card except when I attempt to put back the black plastic “graphics-card bracket” as these service manual calls it. It seems that my new 1080 is too thick to accommodate the bracket. I can’t push it in all the way over the 1080 like I could with my 1070. When I leave the bracket out, the cage closes nicely and locks firmly over where a screw would normally secure a pcie card.

But I’m worried that the bracket was there to prevent sag on the GPU card. That’s why I’m asking if it’s ok to leave it out.

Edit: from the pics, the screws are flat heads, so that is good.

Thanks....Mike

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 20th, 2018 12:00

No, it is not required.

It's really just there because the computers get shipped (always roughly).

If you ship the computer, you might want to remove the (expensive) GTX-1080.

October 21st, 2018 07:00

I recommend you use some kind of bracket. 

Having it sag will surely hurt your mobo.

You can find brackets on amazon, thin and long metallic ones that any pc other than Dell uses. They are a smaller profile than the plastic one that comes with the Alienware Aurora and will have no problems with fitting.

For example:  https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Graphics-Anodized-Aerospace-Aluminum/dp/B076GYL25H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1540130753&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=support+bracket+graphics+card&psc=1

October 21st, 2018 10:00

Another option would be something like this.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/case-accessories/universal-graphics-card-holder-2-supports/

But the feet would be too wide for the aurora as they would extend beyond the side panel.

Take a look at this one, shows a better example of how it works with a card using more then the one fan. The rubber support piece on this specific bracket can be moved. Obviously this bracket would be sitting beside and under your card in the aurora case, and not directly under as shown in the pic. I still believe it will work just fine, as long as it will secure to the case without the screws.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KYY1HD/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B079KYY1HD&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=0MTK5G9Z3VZP46ZXG0D2&pd_rd_wg=jGDNJ&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=sla6h&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=4662a13a-d557-11e8-a6fd-9dddcd259c60

Check out this unrelated post by a redditor, you can see in the pics that he was able to secure a bracket just like the ones I showed you (for a different use obviously).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/8h7w8h/aurora_r7_added_this_little_extra_exhaust_to_help/

38 Posts

October 20th, 2018 13:00

Thanks Tesla for the good advice

38 Posts

October 21st, 2018 07:00

Thank you for your knowledge and the link. 

October 21st, 2018 08:00

You're welcome.

You can get some pretty cool looking custom ones as well, with rgb lighting and whatnot, but obviously useless in the aurora cases. The link I provided would be the one I would pick up if it were me with a spacing issue.

Luckily my Vega 64 just barely fit with the plastic bracket...barely.

I do wonder about the screws used in those brackets though. The aurora doesn't have screws in that area, more just a "fit and close" type system. It should still work and be secured when the case is closed just like any other pcie bracket would such as your graphics card. 

If it by chance doesn't fit, you can also find brackets that stand up inside your case and support your card. 

But my opinion is that the bracket I linked you, should work without any issue. 

38 Posts

There’s 2 things that bother me - where to place the rubber gaskets that hold the card from the bottom. And the screws would have to be flat head screws so the case closes. I’ll have to ask around Amazon and closely look at the pics to see if the screws would be ok. Additionally, my Gigabyte card had 3 fans where the rubber gaskets need to sit. I don’t know if that’s possible with the card I have. 

Mike

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Once again, you do not need a bracket.

However, if you insist ... I think I would just take a hack-saw, Dremel, or file to the existing black-plastic one.

38 Posts

October 21st, 2018 16:00

Thanks PentatonicSteel for the detailed information. I definitely don’t want to damage either the 1080 or the mb. 

I appreciate the response

October 21st, 2018 18:00

No worries buddy!

Let us know how it worked out!

2.2K Posts

May 11th, 2019 09:00

Just be careful if you decide to DIY or hack the bracket. I removed part of the rubber gasket on my R8 bracket to fit an MSI Radeon 580 Armor OC. The card has a heat pipe that comes out ever so slightly from the card base and it wasn’t playing nice with R8 bracket.

Everything fit fine when I put the hacked bracket in place but when I closed the PSU, I felt a new resistance in force that told me something was wrong. True enough, I have put a small dent on the heat pipe. Now running diagnostics and benchmarks.

I understand that even if everything turns out fine now, it may not be in the future as the system ages. Only thing is this card is temporary until I pony up enough for a good deal on 2080 Ti in the future. Cheers!

No Events found!