Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

May 19th, 2018 18:00

Aurora-R7, HyperX Fury 2933, second stick not recognized?

Hi, I have a problem. I have an aurora r7 with ram hyperX fury 16 gb 2933. I will upgrade this and i bought a second ram hyperX fury 16 gb 2933. I put them on position 1-3 of mother board. When i turned on pc at the first time there wasn't problem, but when i turned off pc and turned on it again my aurora didn't recognize ram. Any solutions? ty all

74 Posts

May 20th, 2018 00:00

There has been discussion to the effect that the HyperX 2933 available now is not the same (different chips on the modules) as was being furnished in systems some months ago, and that they are not compatible as pairs.  Suggest going back through messages.  DIMM's to be used as pairs should be bought together to minimize this problem.

Many buyers who ordered 16GB 2933 speed in their R7, like me, discovered a single-channel 16 instead of dual-channel pair of 8's, causing effectively a 25% speed loss - it runs slower than dual channel 2666 even though it cost $100 more than 2666.  If tech support can't help you get those two working, you may have to return the new module, shelf or Ebay your original one, then buy a pair.  I had no choice except to replace my 16, and since Dell had no 2933's at the time, I sought advice online.   Users were not having any luck at the time with other brands of ram pairs, because the R7 BIOS/MB doesn't allow timing adjustments.   Eventually someone found that GSkill Ripjaws V 3000 worked, so I bought them.  The irony was that tech support advised me that my warranty support would be invalidated, which PO'd me thoroughly.

Dell has been plagued with problems about improper ram shipments in new systems, not stocking upgrade parts, and giving bad advice, especially about the 2933 stuff.   Wish you luck.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2018 03:00

I read aurora r7 support 2x16gb HyperX Fury 2933, but why i'm having problem?

74 Posts

May 21st, 2018 05:00

Answered that above.  You might have two HyperX which were made with different parts, and will not work together.  Pairs should be identical, bought at the same time.  If not, they may or may not work.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 07:00

No, they didn't.. I'm having the same problem: first start bios recognizes 2 ram and it warks, if i reboot windows no.

82 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 07:00

According to the fairly extensive research I've done on this issue, there "supposedly" is a slight timing difference between the HyperX 2933MHz factory and Dell/Alienware OEM modules.  I have not however been able to get anyone to validate what the timing differences might be.  I do know that according to CPU-Z the modules "appear" to be identical, but mixing the two seems problematic.  In some cases they work, in others they do not.  Alienware has taken a lot of flak over the memory compatibility issue and I actually got an apology from Dell over the matter.  You might want to load the latest BIOS, Version 1.0.11, and see if that helps; it states that it "Improved the memory compatibility for 2666Mhz memory modules."  It may have also addressed the compatibility issues with the 2933MHz modules as well.

24 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 09:00

@Daemonxs wrote:

i bought a second ram hyperX fury 16 gb 2933.

From where did you buy this second RAM module? If you bought it from Dell, do you have a link to the page on Dell's site?

82 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 10:00

You can buy it it from HyperX direct, from Amazon, Tiger Direct and other places, including Walmart.  No one seems to be able to get it from Dell.

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/memory/fury-ddr4?partnum=HX429C17FB/16

24 Posts

May 24th, 2018 06:00

@AlaskaWolf wrote:

No one seems to be able to get it from Dell.

I don't see any pages on Dell's site showing upgrade or replacement parts for Aurora R7s.

If you go to the parts page, scroll down to the Product Family section and click the "Alienware Desktops" link, the R7 still isn't listed. Kind of strange.

82 Posts

May 24th, 2018 07:00

@Pex wrote: 
I don't see any pages on Dell's site showing upgrade or replacement parts for Aurora R7s.

That's because there aren't any. Try putting in your Service Tag in Dell Parts, all you will get back is the message "No compatible products found for the requested service tag."

Part of an apology that Dell set me, "Also we have sent this information to our product development team so they can work out on improving the upgrade parts for the Aurora R7." It's not like they don't know what is going on.

7 Posts

August 15th, 2018 10:00

I'm having the same exact problem though when I first purchased the RAM (from Amazon: HX429C17FW/16) I didn't have any issues at all beyond that I couldn't OC to 2933 (stuck at 2400) if both sticks were installed. After a BIOS upgrade (I believe it was v1.0.11 or higher) about 3 weeks ago, I thought it failed and bricked my R7. Had on-site tech come to replace the MoBo and he discovered that it was due to the memory where the display would stay black with both sticks in. Remove one and it's fine (doesn't matter if it's the Dell OEM Kingston or the other Kingston I purchased). 

He finally got the screen to display but couldn't enter BIOS since the screen would black out. I pulled one stick then upgraded to 1.0.13 and was fine (again other than being able to OC) until about 2 nights ago after upgrading to 1.0.14. Now I'm perpetually unable to use both sticks since when I reboot it'll black out my screen. So bizarre... 

Will eventually try another of the same non-OEM Kingston stick to see if that solves the issue.

Hopefully Dell support or anyone else reading this might have an update as to the cause?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 15th, 2018 11:00

@turboBB wrote:

I'm having the same exact problem though when I first purchased the RAM (from Amazon: HX429C17FW/16) I didn't have any issues at all beyond that I couldn't OC to 2933 (stuck at 2400) if both sticks were installed. After a BIOS upgrade (I believe it was v1.0.11 or higher) about 3 weeks ago, I thought it failed and bricked my R7. Had on-site tech come to replace the MoBo and he discovered that it was due to the memory where the display would stay black with both sticks in. Remove one and it's fine (doesn't matter if it's the Dell OEM Kingston or the other Kingston I purchased). 

He finally got the screen to display but couldn't enter BIOS since the screen would black out. I pulled one stick then upgraded to 1.0.13 and was fine (again other than being able to OC) until about 2 nights ago after upgrading to 1.0.14. Now I'm perpetually unable to use both sticks since when I reboot it'll black out my screen. So bizarre... 

Will eventually try another of the same non-OEM Kingston stick to see if that solves the issue.

Hopefully Dell support or anyone else reading this might have an update as to the cause?

The only thing I can suggest trying for un-matched DIMMs is to split them between the Memory Banks. Obviously, that's a non-preferred Single-Channel Mode memory config. but might be stable and actually work.

That would be one DIMM in XMM1 (white) and the other in XMM3 (black).

82 Posts

August 15th, 2018 16:00

@turboBB wrote:

I'm having the same exact problem though when I first purchased the RAM (from Amazon: HX429C17FW/16) I didn't have any issues at all beyond that I couldn't OC to 2933 (stuck at 2400) if both sticks were installed.

Did you purchase one stick of HyperX 2933 RAM through Amazon and try to run it with a stick of Dell OEM 2933?  Or did you purchase two sticks?  If you are trying to run Kingston HyperX 2933 and Dell OEM HyperX 2933, then it is a pretty well known issue that the two may, or more likely may not, work together.  That issue has been pretty thoroughly addressed in these threads; the two different RAM modules have a mysterious timing difference than no one will explain.  As RAM sensitive as the R7's motherboard is, I'd try @Tesla1856's suggestion to install the modules in different banks to see if that helps. Just remember the old rule of thumb, always install RAM in matched pairs.

If not, I've converted to ALL Kingston HyperX in my R7 and I couldn't be happier.  The OEM Dell RAM has been recycled...good riddance.

4 Posts

August 15th, 2018 21:00

@AlaskaWolf wrote:

Did you purchase one stick of HyperX 2933 RAM through Amazon and try to run it with a stick of Dell OEM 2933?  Or did you purchase two sticks?  If you are trying to run Kingston HyperX 2933 and Dell OEM HyperX 2933, then it is a pretty well known issue that the two may, or more likely may not, work together.  That issue has been pretty thoroughly addressed in these threads; the two different RAM modules have a mysterious timing difference than no one will explain.  As RAM sensitive as the R7's motherboard is, I'd try @Tesla1856's suggestion to install the modules in different banks to see if that helps. Just remember the old rule of thumb, always install RAM in matched pairs.

If not, I've converted to ALL Kingston HyperX in my R7 and I couldn't be happier.  The OEM Dell RAM has been recycled...good riddance.

Do you have an 8700K system or a regular 8700? I want to bump up to 32gb but with all of the ram issues everyone with the 8700 non K I'm just at a loss as to which brand and speed to buy.

82 Posts

August 16th, 2018 06:00

@Osh_j wrote:

Do you have an 8700K system or a regular 8700? I want to bump up to 32gb but with all of the ram issues everyone with the 8700 non K I'm just at a loss as to which brand and speed to buy.

I have the 8700K system.  I'm not sure of what you are referencing by everyone with non K 8700s having issues.  The issue with the R7 is with the proprietary motherboard it uses, not with which processor it has.  So far, as previously posted, we know that HyperX 2666, Crucial Sport 2666, Kingston HyperX 2933, and GSkill Ripjaw 3000 all work without problems.  The Kingston HyperX 2933 and the Dell OEM HyperX 2933 however do not seem to play well with each other, and mixing the two seems to be best avoided.

4 Posts

August 17th, 2018 14:00

Thank you for your advice. What I had meant was that I had read on one of the threads that the Hyper-X ram ended up not running at the listed speed, and that due to not being the K version you are unable to do anything with XMP to get it up to the listed speed. I already ran into the issue of attempting to run 4x8gb and it not working, which is how I found this community and the info which is extremely helpful. I just wanted to avoid having to ship back another order due to the ridiculous pickiness of this motherboard. Thanks again for the info.

No Events found!