Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

9 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 15:00

Aurora R7 New Drive Letter showing since 1803 update

Hey all, My R7 just updated to the 1803 version of Win10, and since the upgrade, Windows now assigns a drive letter to a partition on the primary SSD which didn't have one before.  Since it's so small and relatively full, I get regular warnings now that my disk space is low.

Disk Manager shows the following:dm.JPG

Note the "H:" drive now showing up.  I was going to just remove the drive letter assignment in Disk manager, but if I right click that partition, I don't get any options at all like I do with the other ones, just a "help" option.  I can remove the drive letter assignment in Diskpart, but it reappears on reboot.

explorer.JPG

That's what I see for it in explorer now, and if I open it, I can't see anything on the drive.  Wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this?

May 4th, 2018 13:00

Yeah, I should probably do the same given that it's my main box now.  I have plenty of others scattered about that I can test the new stuff on, and I don't need to live on the bleeding edge in my (getting) old age. :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 4th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for the heads-up.

Just verified Updates on all my main machines are on "Semi-Annual Channel" ... aka "the relaxed update schedule for businesses".

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 4th, 2018 21:00

Two things.

1. These major Windows Updates are more intrusive than most users realize. Take a look at your Windows Reliability Report to set some idea of what just happened.

2. Yeah, I wish I knew what these two Recovery Partitions (450mb and 13gb) were at the end of the drive ... past the normal 500mb EFI, and 463gb C: OS partitions. I'll never use them. If this thing blew-up tomorrow, I would either bare metal restore my Macrium Image or just clean-install to blank drive.

I would delete them right now if I was sure it would not mess-up anything (but it's not really a good time to be causing trouble and extra work for myself).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Need-help-factory-reinstalling-Windows-10-on-new-Alienware-R7/m-p/6065268

I missed it this month, but after if Fully Images on June 1 at 3:00 am ... maybe I'll get brave that afternoon and just delete (at least) the last 13gb one. :Surprise:

No Events found!