Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2019 08:00

Aurora R7, Overclocking

The Aurora R7 motherboard keeps downclocking my speeds to the default AVX offset of -3 while no AVX instructions are running. Quite irritating. I will not turn off AVX because several of my games require it.

AWCC only allows up to 5ghz overclock with no option to change AVX offset. So I resorted to Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

I am able to temporarily set an overclock of 5.1ghz and AVX offset of -0, but after putting my computer to sleep or reboot the overclock reverts back to 5.0 and the AVX offset to -3.

I changed my overclock in BIOS to 5.1 and it still reverts back to 5.0 when I boot up. I'd like to mention that Dell didn't include AVX offset settings in BIOS...

Any suggestions?

402 Posts

September 18th, 2019 09:00

As you've already discovered, Dell's BIOS is very limited when it comes to OC options. I myself have already hit the 5GHz ceiling, and that's because of the limitations Dell bakes in (plus stock AIO gets heatsoaked quickly). Even with Intel's XTU, the UEFI ends up overwriting whatever gets set if it exceeds hard coded limits. They do it so end users don't end up killing or frying components and filing warranty claims.

I'm surprised there are games that use AVX.  Which titles?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 12th, 2020 21:00

@Swami g   any suggestion?

Crank It UP! 

21 Posts

Yes we are hamstrung here by what you said earlier.

Not it will always revert back to 5ghz with an AVX offset -3

21 Posts

No any AVX offset on will cause the clock speeds to bounce around between the range.

Low 30s idle and mid 60s during games.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey I was in the 70s though. That game is like 80-100% cpu usage.

The lower voltage helps so much

402 Posts

Yeah, I think Dell's throttling AVX back to -3 to prevent cooking the chip... especially at 5.1 GHz.  Will the AVX setting stay at -2, or -1 offset?

What were your average core temps at 5.1 with a 0 offset?  Must have been toasty.

21 Posts

Yes all cores are locked.

If I set it 4.7 and AVX to 0, the settings stick but I want 5.0.

I have no issues with heat soak or throttling because I already undervolted.

We both got lucky

402 Posts

Shouldn't bounce if you lock all cores though.  Try lowering clock speed to 4.7 or 4.8 and setting AVX offset to 0 and see what happens. Might try undervolting (if stable) to minimize heat soak and throttling.

I don't know if AW uses binned chips.  Maybe I just got lucky.

21 Posts

Oh sorry I missed the question.

Far Cry New Dawn, Risk of Rain 2, Watch Dogs 2, Total War Warhammer 2.

There are a few others I can't think of right now.

402 Posts

I wanted you to test to see if there was some correlation with the way the Dell BIOS treats clock speeds and AVX ratios.  From the looks of it, there probably is that won't let you go past 5 GHz with AVX set to anything less than -3.

Can you go past 5 GHz and have it stick in BIOS with AVX to -3?

21 Posts

Your voltage is quite low as well! That's one thing I was wondering. My 8700k seems to undervolt quite well and you 1.1v is probably running chilly. Does Alienware get binned cpus??

21 Posts

Ah yes I've already suspected this but I was hoping someone knew a way around.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not limited by voltage. I am actually running 5ghz at 1.2v so thats why I wanted to go further.

402 Posts

I edited my original post while you must have been composing yours. I took voltage out; not what I really intended to say and would have been misleading.  Haven't really had a voltage problem, but the true limiter has always been heat and Dell's BIOS still reverts back to hard coded limits even with Intel XTU.  At least that's been my experience.

I have a setting for 5GHz but rarely if ever use it.  I only turn it on when I'm chasing benchmark numbers.  99.5% of the time, I have a mild OC of 4.6 GHz at 1.1v and 0 offset.

21 Posts

September 18th, 2019 11:00

Your guess is correct!

Yeah I was considering swapping out my motherboard, but I'm just going to sit tight and see what AMD and Intel has to offer in the future.

Appreciate your time

402 Posts

September 18th, 2019 11:00

Should have elaborated better, but I'm sure the result would be the same.  I meant to ask, can you go past 5 GHz using Intel XTU with an AVX offset of -3, and have that stick in BIOS after a reboot?  I'm guessing the answer would be no.

While it's cool that Alienware has a little bit of OC flexibility, it's nowhere near what something like a Fatal1ty board can give you.

2.2K Posts

September 18th, 2019 12:00

Joined the party late. 1.2V for 5 GHz?! You and @amstel78 are really killing it with the silicon lottery aren't you? My 9600K boils over at 1.4V 5 GHz @ 92C. 

So maybe a blessing in disguise getting stuck with 8th Gen CPUs. Higher OCs? With paste TIM? 

I'm also interested in seeing what both team red and team blue has to offer. Given the recent debacle on the definition of "turbo" by both sides. 

No Events found!