Highlighted
1 Copper

Aurora R7, RAM upgrade led to weirdness

Ok, so I'm fairly sure that I bought RAM that is technically incompatible with the R7 (I saw that the motherboard was a Z370 so I went with ram compatible with that, not realizing that the board was proprietary, specifically a dual channel Coursair 3.2GHz 32 (2x16) memory kit) however rather than just outright failing I'm only having issues in very specific, avoidable, instances. My R7 does absolutely fine through restarts (that aren't from the BIOS), Windows shut-downs, and hibernation. 

The issue is when I attempt to launch from a hard powercycle, either by holding the power button down or yanking the cord, it returns the RAM failure flash-code (or are they still called beep-codes?), popping a stick out, booting, getting through the 'system memory has changed' message, and reinstalling the popped out stick (with the system memory message popping up again) allows me to boot to Windows and run normally.  Issue reappears when I hard-powercycle or have a power interruption (which hilariously happened the first time I tried to post this message).

My question is this, is this a Dell firmware thing that's checking for supported RAM and failing the POST when it finds unsupported sticks, is it an issue created by the change in voltage requirements (that I assume causes the check to timeout or such), or is it something else?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Re: Aurora R7 RAM upgrade led to weirdness

Windows has fast boot enabled by default (a form of hibernation) when you click "shutdown" so that explains why the issue only comes by pulling the plug (which btw is really bad for the pc if the computer is hiberbating).  I suspect if you disable fast boot, the same issues would come up when you hit "shut down". Common issue.  There's no fix I am aware of for this (aside from trying with xmp both enabled and disabled).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Aurora R7 RAM upgrade led to weirdness

I know pulling the plug is a horrible idea, I only did it as a test, my computer has a UPS specifically to keep unexpected power losses to a minimum.

Too bad there's not an easy fix, thanks for the info though!

0 Kudos