Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 26th, 2018 02:00

Aurora-R7, RAM used 16GB HyperX DDR4 XMP 2933MHz

Can anyone give me a link to a website selling this? I'm buying one module with the system, and want to buy another one, separately. I can't find HyperX at 2933MHz for sale anywhere. What am I missing here? Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 26th, 2018 05:00

Looks like your best bet is to just buy it with two modules (if that is an option) as I too don't find it aftermarket.  I find a lot of Kingston HyperX but not that specific 2933Mhz. 

1 Message

January 31st, 2018 15:00

I went directly to Kingston since they manufacture the Ram for Dell under an OEM agreement. To make sure you get the right stuff send a picture of what is currently installed in your system. They will cross reference it and give you exactly what you need. I found out the 2933mhz is actually 2133mhz ram overclocked by the bios provided with the alienware. Either that you can run separate ram on the second channel and get something other than the OEM. It's shameful under the build when you buy the PC, Dell states it's upgradeable and at this time you cannot buy Ram from them for these machines @ 2933mhz. They do not even have an estimated time frame of when they will start carrying it. The warranty may be compromised as well if you add Ram in that was not purchased directly from Dell. Really disappointed with Dell over this simple upgrade. 

1 Message

February 5th, 2018 21:00

If their 2933 is oc'd 2133 what do you think their 2666 is?

15 Posts

February 16th, 2018 06:00

I also contacted Kingston support and after sending the picture of my RAM and two screenshots of CPU-ID with the SPD and memory tabs, they told me to look for Kingston HX430C15PB3/16. It would "probablay"!!! work with my OEM-RAM. As this HX430C15PB3/16 is the Predator series of Kingston and my DDR4 is a Fury series module, I again asked if they are sure it would work but did not receive an answer yet. (asked yesterday)

74 Posts

February 18th, 2018 18:00

Dell, in many opinions including my own, has done us a disservice by selling single 2933 DIMM's in these machines, since they cannot seem to stock add-ons, and their sales people are telling us single is as good as dual; it is in fact roughly 25% slower overall.  Expecting a pair of 2933 8GB's (as indicated in the service manual), I was surprised to find a single 16.  Kingston may be saying their 2133 's will o/c, but unless somebody has tried it, I wouldn't count on it, and they told me they cannot sell the OEM Dell part.  I found somebody had successfully used G.Skilz Ripjaws V 3000, so I bought a pair of them, had no problem with XMP1 2933, and got big improvement in the benchmark.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 18th, 2018 20:00

@hrgreen wrote:

Dell, in many opinions including my own, has done us a disservice by selling single 2933 DIMM's in these machines, since they cannot seem to stock add-ons, and their sales people are telling us single is as good as dual; it is in fact roughly 25% slower overall. 

Agreed.

Many of us found the same on Aurora-R6. Luckily, I managed to get mine swapped out (a single DIMM for a matching pair). I also tried to help others, but not sure how all that turned out (with Dell in the middle) but I tried.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Aurora-R6-Memory-Question-Why-a-single-DIMM/m-p/5591756

However, I thought they had fixed it on the Aurora-R7 sales-config pages. I remember looking once, and they specified how many DIMMs on the optional line-item ram selections (the higher-end ones anyway).

82 Posts

March 24th, 2018 11:00

Interestingly, the DDR4 HyperX Fury 2933 RAM is suddenly available on the HyperX website.  Last week they couldn't tell me anything about it.  As far as I can tell, this is the specific RAM for the Aurora R7.

https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/memory/fury-ddr4?partnum=HX429C17FR2K4/32

74 Posts

March 25th, 2018 01:00

Yeah, all the way up to 3466, but they forgot to change the banner.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2018 15:00

I was wondering well they work ok with Auroa R6 also since I have just one 16GB HyperX at 2666MHz by buying one or get two for replacement instead.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 25th, 2018 19:00

@terry51wrote:

I was wondering well they work ok with Auroa R6 also since I have just one 16GB HyperX at 2666MHz by buying one or get two for replacement instead.

Just a reminder ... the pair of DIMMs in the same bank (so they run dual-channel) ... must match exactly. So much so, that they are normally only sold in (and installed in) exactly matching pairs .

82 Posts

April 1st, 2018 16:00

Truthfully, with all the problems I'm currently encountering trying to get 4 - 8 Gb HyperX 2933 modules to work I'd probably hold off a bit.  2 - 8 Gb HyperX modules work perfectly  (and I'll "assume" that 2 - 16 Gb work), but as of right now my system will not POST with the HyperX 2933 4/32 kit (4x8 Gb).

15 Posts

April 13th, 2018 17:00

Having ordered with one 16GB 2933 today I got one HX429C17FB/16 and it does not work on Dual-Channel with the preinstalled 16GB from Dell so it´s not the same RAM. The latency is different! The strange thing is when I installed the first time the new RAM in Slot 3 additionally the PC booted fine, only giving a short message that RAM-config has changed. I then got an error in OC Controls telling me the RAM was not configured right. After shutdown from cold start it didn´t want to boot neither in windows nor in bios. So I plugged out the new HX429C17FB/16 and started with the original RAM, again tried with both memories and could not get the machine started. Even tried slot 2+4 but didn´t help. Then I thought let´s see if it works on slot 1+2 and it booted up fine, knowing I again only will have Single-Channel. It´s a pain in the **bleep**!

74 Posts

April 13th, 2018 21:00

This is all a bunch of d..... nonsense.  Any decent z370 board should provide BIOS adjustments for a range of ram latency and speed, and support 4-DIMM kits, LIKE THE SERVICE MANUAL SAYS.  I think the problem may be that we are stuck with a Flintstone BIOS on possibly a Flintstone board, and if Dell/AW has any idea of how to cope with the idiosyncrasies of this system, they sure ain't tellin'.  They CAN'T even sell us compatible add-on ram for way too much money.  All this is exactly why I am typing on an Asus Maximus X-based system with ram at 4000 MHZ at the moment, while my R7 sits idle.

Dell NEVER should have sold 2933 16GB ram as a $100 option over 2666, shipping a single DIMM.  This actually runs way slower than two-channel 2666 does, a real rip-off.  Then they had the nerve to tell me if I replaced the one DIMM (another not available) with two of some other brand, I would get no further technical support.  Angry?  You bet.  Going to buy again?  Guess.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 22:00

@cacarottwrote:
Having ordered with one 16GB 2933 today I got one HX429C17FB/16 and it does not work on Dual-Channel with the preinstalled 16GB from Dell so it´s not the same RAM. The latency is different! The strange thing is when I installed the first time the new RAM in Slot 3 additionally the PC booted fine, only giving a short message that RAM-config has changed. I then got an error in OC Controls telling me the RAM was not configured right. After shutdown from cold start it didn´t want to boot neither in windows nor in bios. So I plugged out the new HX429C17FB/16 and started with the original RAM, again tried with both memories and could not get the machine started. Even tried slot 2+4 but didn´t help. Then I thought let´s see if it works on slot 1+2 and it booted up fine, knowing I again only will have Single-Channel. It´s a pain in the **bleep**!

So, XMM1 and XMM2 (the white-clipped slots) compose the Primary Memory Bank. The other DIMM slots are the Secondary. If you have a matched-pair, they should go into Primary Memory Bank. If un-matched, they should run in XMM1 and XMM3 as single channel. You can run CPUID's CPUz to see all specifics on installed DIMMs.

On the Aurora-R6, I don't think anyone ever got a retail DIMM to run dual-channel with a Dell OEM DIMM. However, it's not that surprising since they didn't match exactly. Not sure why Dell doesn't sell the OEM DIMMs ... if nothing else, as "repair parts".

15 Posts

April 14th, 2018 00:00

I´d also have preferred to adjust many more settings in BIOS. I don´t care too much about all the other problems caused by Dell. The only and most important thing to not be able to upgrade RAM on this kind of machine a NO-GO! If someone from Dell is reading this: what else should I upgrade on a PC with 8700K and 1080TI? To get it on top of the line, spend 1000€ for 64GB of RAM? - Really Dell? I mean are you REAL??? Seems to be my last Dell/Alienware, too. In future they could have made thousands and thousands cash on me. But hey guess what: there are so many other manufacturers out there doing it right! My next PC will be selfbuilt again.
No Events found!