Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

26 Posts

February 26th, 2019 14:00

Aurora R7, RTX 2080 Ti, improve cooling performance

Hi everyone, I got an Aurora R7, globally satisfied with the PC. Got the CPU watercooled version with an i7 8086K + RTX 2080 TI, 32 mo Ram, 256 SSD, 1 TO HDD. Added a 500 GO SSD SAMSUNG 860 EVO for games. Upgraded both the top fan & front fan with a NOCTUA NF-P12 redux. (following this vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6NIq4Cp6Tk&t=112s) All works fine, no error message whatsoever. CPU temps get around 60° while in game; Which is more than fine. However my GPU temps rise above 80°. My front fan keeps running 80% to be able to barely cool it down. Sometimes the GPU fan triggers randomly during gaming at 100% power to avoid it to overheat I presume. My questions are: > Anybody encountering the same kind of issues? > Would it be possible to somehow improve the cooling performance of the GPU ? Just seen that these are availble : https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HC-1389-B1 Would it fit onto the RTX 2080 ti "OEM" version that I have ? There are also these: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-1484-B1 Same questions. Thanks for your help

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 26th, 2019 14:00

@Cendrecoeur wrote:
1. However my GPU temps rise above 80°.

2. My front fan keeps running 80% to be able to barely cool it down.

3. Would it be possible to somehow improve the cooling performance of the GPU ? Just seen that these are availble : https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HC-1389-B1 Would it fit onto the RTX 2080 ti "OEM" version that I have ? There are also these: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-1484-B1 Same questions. Thanks for your help

1. Actually, for that card ... 80c is ok. It's partially because it's a "small" tower.

2. Maybe the new fan is wrong max-RPM ?

3. In AW-CC, try (uphill) Manual Curve ... following the Intel-CPU temp. sensor.

26 Posts

February 26th, 2019 15:00

Thx for the replies. 

Read many topics about blower style vs 2 fans style cards.
In your opinion which one is better in the R7 case configuration?

26 Posts

Tried to set up many fan curves but If i don't want the GPU fan to trigger and feel like a jet take off I have to make the front fan spin at 70/80%.

Is my RTX having an issue here or is it normal?
What about the watercooling solutions from EVGA ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Cendrecoeur wrote:

1. Is my RTX having an issue here or is it normal?

2. What about the watercooling solutions from EVGA ?

1. As I already said, it sounds normal.

2. Never tried it so no-comment.

Maybe this will help ... My Aurora-R6 came with the Dell/OEM Nvidia GTX-1070 . Appears to be a clone of the MSI Aero GTX-1070. I don't know if anyone has examined the newer cards.

3 Posts

February 26th, 2019 22:00

I have a Founders Edition 2080ti in my Aurora R7 and the temps max at 72 degrees in benchmarks. Gaming is around 65. If you don’t have afterburner, download and set either a fan profile or a constant speed. I was hitting 82 with the “auto” fan on the card. I set mine to 70% constant and it’s nearly silent.

26 Posts

February 28th, 2019 11:00

Thanks, will try that and let you know about results

26 Posts

February 28th, 2019 13:00

Downloaded EVGA precision X1. Works fine.
However, i'm a total noob in setting that up.
Can someone copy the fan curve set up in order to balance cooling performance & noise?
Thanks

26 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 07:00

Small update, tried setting up a custom curve.
Indeed keeps the GPU Cooler than "auto" mode. But also becomes quite noisy.
hard to beleive you find it "quiet" at 70% power. 

Do you guys have example of fan curve  ? 

Does the front fan has any impact on keeping the GPU cool ? Should I push my front fan a bit more and my GPU fan a bit less ? Or opposite?

Last question: does the RTX 2080 ti Founders edition fits into the R7 Chassis? Anyone tried that ? What's the cooling like ? And noise?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2019 10:00

@Cendrecoeur wrote:

1. Indeed keeps the GPU Cooler than "auto" mode. 

2. Do you guys have example of fan curve  ? 

3. Does the front fan has any impact on keeping the GPU cool ? 

1. Correct. "Manual" with an uphill curve is what I use on my Auroras.

2. uphill curve. Stop it at 80% if you want

3. Yes, AFAIK ... bringing in cool-air for the GPU is it's main purpose.

9 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 12:00

When you say "uphill curve", do you mean this...

A.png

or this?....

B.png

26 Posts

March 4th, 2019 12:00

Thanks for the reply, would be also interested for your explanation of uphill curve.
Tried to google it but didn't find any clear answer.

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 4th, 2019 12:00

@Cendrecoeur wrote:

Thanks for the reply, would be also interested for your explanation of uphill curve.
Tried to google it but didn't find any clear answer.

Thanks

I usually draw it more like Example-B , but I'm not sure it matters much.

The Yellow point can be a 80% if that is all the noise you can stand at max utilization.

No Events found!