Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

13 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 10:00

Aurora R7, Thermal Control, GPU fan listed as 0%

I recently bought a liquid-cooled Aurora R7 with an RTX 2080 GPU and I noticed something strange, the GPU fan will not go above 0% even when I'm gaming and the GPU temp reaches 80+ C. I don't know if this is a software issue or if the computer is not detecting the movement of the fan. I ran the ePSA pre-boot assessment and nothing came up, However, it tested three fans; Top, Front and CPU but in the thermal controller there is no CPU fan, only CPU pump which is listed as "Running". I'm curious if other people are facing the same issue or if their GPU fan is shown to be running in the thermal controller. Also, I noticed I can't control the thermal curve for the GPU fan from the command center, only the Top and Front fans.

402 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 21:00

GPU fan is listed on AWCC and shows as a percentage.  Curves can be adjusted using something like MSI Afterburner.  If your GPU fan isn't being detected, then something is wrong.  Can you confirm if the GPU fan is actually spinning? 

13 Posts

February 24th, 2019 00:00

I can hear it spinning when I used MSI Afterburner to manually increase its speed, so it's probably a software problem with AWCC. Kind of disappointing that MSI does a better job at detecting the GPU fan than the actual manufacturer of the PC. I also tried re-installing AWCC as mentioned in this Dell Article and in accordance with a solution that was posted for another user that had the same problem to no avail.

402 Posts

February 24th, 2019 16:00

Is the GPU fan being detected in ePSA?

13 Posts

February 24th, 2019 16:00

Nope, only the Top, Front and CPU fan which I'm guessing is the liquid cooling fan.

402 Posts

February 24th, 2019 17:00

What BIOS version are you running?

13 Posts

February 24th, 2019 17:00

Latest version, 1.0.17 even re-installed it just to be sure.

402 Posts

February 24th, 2019 20:00

Something's gotta be wrong with AWCC then. If MSI Afterburner is picking up the card's fan speed but AWCC won't, I think we can rule out hardware at this point.

You're also running the latest BIOS version which is good. 

Try this. Uninstall AWCC, and create a second admin account. Make sure you have the latest approved version of AWCC downloaded from Dell and install it under the new account and report back. 

13 Posts

February 25th, 2019 09:00

Did what you said and the same issue occurred I'm afraid.

402 Posts

February 26th, 2019 03:00

That's unfortunate.  Does AWCC at least report GPU temperature?

13 Posts

February 26th, 2019 05:00

Yes it does.

402 Posts

February 26th, 2019 12:00

Something sounds really borked then.  It'd be helpful if other R7 owners with a 2080 can confirm that AWCC is showing GPU fan RPM.  

Also, there may be corrupted preferences left cached/hidden after uninstalling AWCC that come back into play when AWCC is reinstalled.  I was hoping that when you installed AWCC under a different admin account that that variable would have been mitigated.  

So just to recap: 

1. AWCC doesn't see fan GPU but sees die temp;

2. MSI Afterburner sees fan speed and die temp;

Can you install HWMonitor to see if that also shows GPU telemetry?

13 Posts

February 26th, 2019 13:00

I don't think that remnants of AWCC is causing the problem, I used one of those uninstaller programs that scans the entire computer (registry included) for traces of a program and deleted every last one of them. My best guess at the moment is that a windows 10 update caused this problem and Dell simply can't keep up. However, I noticed something rather strange when I downloaded HWMonitor like you said; it detects fan and temp perfectly but the fan is listed as GPU fan #0 on HWMonitor as opposed to GPU fan #1 in AWCC. Could it be that AWCC is simply linked to a fan that doesn't exist? Another thing is that an RTX 2080 has two fans but only 1 is detected, maybe Dell trimmed it down to make it fit in the Aurora?

402 Posts

So I take it your card isn't a blower style unit with a single fan?  Where did you get the card from, or did it come with the system directly from Dell?

Yes, it's possible that AWCC can only detect a single GPU fan and in your particular case, it's picking up the wrong one.  Perhaps your card can't or doesn't report fan speed for the second fan... although I don't see why it not since it should be a PWM type fan.

Usually Dell likes to use a blower style video card due to the limited airflow design of the Aurora case.  I'm a little surprised that yours came with an open-air style card unless that was something you did on your own as an upgrade.

Edited to add: this is the RTX 2080 (PNY) that Dell sells, and what should have been included in a system spec'd for one from the factory.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/aa341206

13 Posts

The card came pre-installed from Dell. I'm not too familiar with this terminology but how did you figure that my card isn't a blower-style unit if you don't mind me asking? If you got it from me saying that an RTX 2080 came with two fans, I just saw one on google images and figured that was the standard version.

26 Posts

February 26th, 2019 14:00

You've got a blower style GPU as it's the pre installed version that comes with the P.C Got the exact same issue. AWCC displays fan at 0%. However, no worries, fan is indeed working fine. Just a software error. AWCC is globally trash. Too bad R7 isn't compatible with the band new version...
No Events found!