Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

15 Posts

May 15th, 2018 11:00

Aurora-R7, USB audio device issue

Hi,

I suddenly started experiencing a recurring problem, very similar to the one described here. Ultimately, different from the poster of that topic, I cannot resolve my issue by "resetting to default". I run my graphics through DP and do not have HDMI plugged in at all. My audio devices, of which I have two, are both USB devices, plugged into USB ports belonging to the desktop itself. To describe the problem - audio will work, until it suddenly just doesn't. The windows Audio Manager will fail to respond and eventually (usually) show a red x, suggesting it is turned off, but the manager will still not respond. Usually, Alienware audio manager also fails at this point.

Unplugging all sound devices usually temporarily fixes the issue, but that causes me to be unable to play sound for entirely other reasons. The problem usually immediately reoccurs when I plug my devices back in.

I have tried disabling Nvidia audio in the Device Manager, as I was informed that these are HDMI based audio services, and irrelevant if I'm running audio through USB, only causing more confusion to windows.
It has not resolved the issue.

The PC is almost brand new, and the problems very suddenly began. I suspect they're related to the headset shutting off from inactivity, but I'm uncertain.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 15th, 2018 15:00

Hello

Recently, last windows update has been causing some conflicts with the audio driver, you can try updating the Bios and Reinstalling the latest audio/video driver. Also try testing your audio devices one at a time and under audio settings make sure you choose the correct audio device as the default one. If it persists try reverting last windows changes by running a Restore Point to a date before the problem started.

You can find the latest Bios and audio driver for your computer at  support.dell.com and get the latest video driver at http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

15 Posts

May 15th, 2018 16:00

As you indicate, the problem did seem to appear around the time the "fall creators update" or some such was released - however, the problem persisted even after I did a total reinstall of the OS, and after I updated the Bios.

For the record, I have confirmed that the correct device is selected - this is irrelevant, because as I'm describing, the issue causes the entire audio manager (which you need in order to select an audio device) to become unresponsive, and then act as if entirely disabled.
I only have two audio devices, so there isn't much to test, and I never have both plugged in simultaneously.

In other words - your suggestions have all be attempted and they did not resolve anything.

To summarize:

• All drivers have been reinstalled
  • OS has been reinstalled (and with that, all drivers too)
  • Sound devices have (irrelevantly) been tested separately, and are exclusively used separately.
  • Bios is up-to-date.

Problem persists.

15 Posts

May 16th, 2018 15:00

The problem persists, but I have currently seemed to finagle my own temporary "fix" after I installed the Logitech Gaming Software (my headset is a Logitech).
Since installing the software, I can solve the problem when I flick my microphone up and down, which causes the headset to "wake up".

Since installing the software, the problem still does seem to occur randomly, but always occurs when I try to play an online stre@ming video before any other sound has played on the PC.
The problem also seems to always occur when my headset goes into "sleep mode".

15 Posts

May 27th, 2018 07:00

Bumping this topic - the problem persists, and windows have even rolled out another update since, as has alienware software.

15 Posts

June 12th, 2018 07:00

Bumping again - since last time I wrote, I've found a, more or less guaranteed fix on my end, but it is just a on-the-spot fix and hasn't effectively removed the problem.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 12th, 2018 19:00

Alienware Audio and Nvidia HDMI Audio have nothing to do with audio from a USB Headset.

Windows facilitates the USB Port to work, but that's it.

The USB Headset has it's own "sound card" (in cable) and it's own drivers.

No Events found!