Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

8 Posts

January 15th, 2020 15:00

Aurora R7, WiFi keeps dropping every 5 minutes

Hi all,

I am having issues with the WiFi on my Aurora R7. It keeps dropping signal every 5 minutes. I notice while playing a game. It mostly it kicks me from the game. The internet wont work while this is resetting as well. I have uninstalled the drive for the WiFi card and restarted this didn't work.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 15th, 2020 21:00

Many times these wifi issues are unrelated to the PC.  Have you looked at what wifi channels are being used in range of your router and making sure you're not on the same channel as everyone else?  For example, the most common 2.4 ghz channels are 1, 6, and 11, because those are the usual defaults and so many people don't ever change their router settings from when the cable guy installed it.  

Or, have you made sure you're like not using a short range 5ghz channel for a device not in the same room as the router? 

Have your split stuff between different bands, or is everything loaded on one band and do you have a ton of stuff connected? 

Do you have other devices broadcasting on the channels like a wifi security system or garage door opener, etc., that is causing interference? 

8 Posts

January 15th, 2020 23:00

Thanks for the info, I am on NBN broadband and using 5GHz with only a few devices connected. The Aurora is the only one that has the issue with out of the 3 computers connected, I used a Wi-Fi Diagnostics tool and I am the only one using the 5GHz channels that it picks up in the area most are using 2GHz channels. 

I changed the WiFi password to clear the system and still the problem is there.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 16th, 2020 14:00

You have a nice desktop, but your are trying to game over WiFi (instead of a real ethernet wire) and expect it to work for gaming (fast, good Ping, etc.) ... that's all very strange. 

That said ... If re-seating card, being sure antennas are properly attached, and installing proper drivers doesn't work ... try a new card (they are cheap). I suggest the same card so "matched antennas" still work optimally.

Basically, same answer as this:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8500-Windows-10-DW1703-WiFi-issues/m-p/7452935/highlight/true#M30255

2.2K Posts

January 16th, 2020 15:00

@Sleighty :

Thanks for the info , I have had a look at the computer and there is no antenna or place to have one. Is it possible is built in somewhere? I am not only gaming when I lose WiFi just normal web browsing as well.

It's those thin wires. They connect to the wifi daughter card on the motherboard.

IMG_7785.jpg

8 Posts

Thanks for the info , I have had a look at the computer and there is no antenna or place to have one. Is it possible is built in somewhere? I am not only gaming when I lose WiFi just normal web browsing as well.

When I look at device manager the system says I have a Killer Wireless-AC 1535 card from my research they seem to put only in laptops? 

8 Posts

ok thanks for the picture, so I will have to open the PC to check this out I guess, seems strange they wouldn't attached a antenna and just have wires. Never really gave this any thought until the issues.

When I look at device manager the system says I have a Killer Wireless-AC 1535 card from my research they seem to put only in laptops? 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 16th, 2020 21:00

There should be a black and white wire connected to the card and running up the chassis.   I suppose it could have gotten loose if you were working in there. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 16th, 2020 21:00

When I look at device manager the system says I have a Killer Wireless-AC 1535 card from my research they seem to put only in laptops? 

No, I also have the same wireless card in mine. 

2.2K Posts

January 16th, 2020 23:00

My R8 has Qualcomm QCA 9377 wireless adapter. There's the Killer word for the ethernet adapter though.

Quite unlikely the 2 cables become unhinged from the hookup points. They are crazy difficult to "click" in and once there, the plastic cover over it just does double duty ensuring they never come off.

2 Posts

April 19th, 2020 09:00

I Have the same issue it is 100% the computer and not the wifi. Im connected to a 5G network 

No Events found!