Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

8 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 04:00

Aurora-R7, any antivirus suggestions?

Hello

I finally broke down and spent some decent money on an aurora R7 with hopefully good specs.

Any suggestions for anti virus?  On my r3 I used avg antivirus free.  Was thinking I should pay for a decent antivirus and hoped to find an antivirus program that is not too intrusive/won't interfere too much and was wondering what other folks like.

All comments are really appreciated.  Thanks very much for taking the time to read and answer.

I

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 06:00

I, and many techie friends, all use the built in Windows Defender, along with Malwarebytes.  My local computer clients (all except one) also use the Defender with good results. I also use my desktop for my recording studio and it does not interfere with recording.

8 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 06:00

Thanks very much for the response.  I wondered if defender would be adequate,  thanks

68 Posts

July 5th, 2018 22:00

I just bought an MSI Aegis 3 Plus desktop in addition to my Aurora R7. On all my other computers (4 total) I had been using Windows Defender (WD) and never had any issues with viruses. The MSI had Norton Security installed on a trial basis, so I decided to use it.

The problem with WD is you have to check for updates every time you boot. I would say 9 out of 10 times there is an antivirus update, then you have to do a quick scan to be safe. With my MSI, I have yet to see a Windows update every time I boot! It seems the only Windows update is a major upgrade - quite shocking. I did the upgrade to Win10 1803 a week ago and did not have to install any updates the last 12 times I booted! Norton runs the antivirus in the background, as well as the virus updates.

The con with Norton is if you do a full scan, the CPU really heats up! It gets way hotter than running games. I see temps in the 96-100 C range whereas during max gaming the temps on the i7-8700 never gets above 88 C. This is a known issue with Norton.

Frankly, I plan to purchase either Kaspersky or that other brand I forget - which is #1 right now - because I can get a license for 5 computers for $25-79 bucks so it's not so bad. Norton has a lot of other stuff too that tells you when somebody is trying to hack you computer, or if you download a file, it tells you if it's safe. You can get a Norton license for $25/5 computers but I don't like how much resources it uses. And of course, these prices are only 1 year subscriptions so you have to pay every year.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 6th, 2018 03:00

No Events found!