Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2018 10:00

Aurora R7, compatible retail RAM?

Hi, 

I have a new Alienware Aurora R7, BestBuy purchase, a very nice machine.  I want to do a couple upgrades.  I want add an M.2 2280 1 TB PCIe Samsung Pro NVMe drive.  I'm comfortable with this upgrade as I have already asked on this forum regarding its compatibility.  Thanks for that Tesla1856.   

I'm struggling with the RAM upgrade. It appears the RAM in the pic below, meets the specs for this machine at least on paper.  I've seen a couple other posts on Amazon regarding this RAM working with success on another  Aurora R7.  But, as you know RAM can be tricky.  I cannot find independent confirmation, even from Corsair that this RAM is workable with the Aurora R7.  I'm thinking I may be alright.  However, I wonder if the community would chime in on my chance for success here with this Corsair RAM.  Perhaps others have used it with success.  I hate RMA's, especially 15% restocking RMA's, especially if not compatible.   I have noted on this Corsair RAM NewEgg shows the "Timing" and "CAS latency".  I cannot find these spec'd on the Dell certified RAM shown in the upgrades area for my Aurora R7 on Dells web site.   Does this "Timing and CAS Latency" make a difference when I am adding two entirely new sticks of the Corsair RAM with the stock RAM installed.   So, you ask why don't I just purchase the Dell Certified RAM from the Dell Store.  Well the fact is a mere one stick of 16 GB RAM albeit certified for this Aurora R7 is more expensive than two sticks of this Corsair RAM.  Thus my desire to purchase this RAM from NewEgg.  

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit

Please note the link to the RAM I want to use at New 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233853&ignorebbr=1

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.  Brad

7 Posts

November 28th, 2018 07:00

Thanks! This has been driving me mad for a week now! I'm relieved now that I know what the problem is... I'll return the 8GB 2933MHz module and go for the 16GB 2666MHz.

82 Posts

November 28th, 2018 09:00

@ITS_RICEY wrote:

So, the OEM 8GB Hyper X can be paired with another OEM module? I'd be looking to sell the OEM module but I think it'll just bite me in the **bleep** if somebody is looking to pair it with existing RAM.

Yes, that is correct, an 8 GB OEM HyperX 2933MHz module will work with another 8 GB OEM HyperX 2933MHz module; it will not however work with a factory Kingston HyperX 8 GB 2933 HyperX module.  The problem appears to lie within the proprietary motherboard that Alienware is using in the R7s (R6s as well from what I understand).  You still cannot run 4 - 8 GB modules irregardless; the motherboard will simply refuse to power up.  Alienware Tech Support did get back to me to tell me that they found that 3 - 8 GB modules would work, but I was correct in that 4 modules would absolutey not work.  The downside to using 3 modules is that you loose dual channel RAM capability as the motherboard drops back to single channel mode due to the mismatch in Bank configurations.

December 5th, 2018 18:00

Hi,

Do you still have the OEM RAM? please contact me at

Thank you

December 17th, 2018 12:00

Hello guys. I would like to upgrade RAM as well. I have Aurora R7 form this summer, with 16gb of RAM (2x8gb 2666). As i know i have 2 more slots free. But i'm not sure about compatibility of this PC. When checked how much RAM i can use i saw somewhere that it is up to 64gb (maybe when i ordered it), but just a half hour ago i talked with dell tech support and they said that it's only up to 32gb (doesn't make any sense). So if i really can upgrade up to 64gb, does 48gb will work properly (if i add 32gb - 2x16)? Also as i saw in this post best option it's Crucial RAM, i'm i right? Or maybe there is any other good suggestions? Maybe this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231969 Thanks :)

82 Posts

December 17th, 2018 13:00

@deathvision wrote:
Hello guys. I would like to upgrade RAM as well. I have Aurora R7 form this summer, with 16gb of RAM (2x8gb 2666). As i know i have 2 more slots free. But i'm not sure about compatibility of this PC. When checked how much RAM i can use i saw somewhere that it is up to 64gb (maybe when i ordered it), but just a half hour ago i talked with dell tech support and they said that it's only up to 32gb (doesn't make any sense). So if i really can upgrade up to 64gb, does 48gb will work properly (if i add 32gb - 2x16)? Also as i saw in this post best option it's Crucial RAM, i'm i right? Or maybe there is any other good suggestions? Maybe this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231969

It will support 64 GB of RAM, 4 x 16 GB.  It will NOT support 4 x 8 GB.  Will it support 48 GB?  Don't really know.  As problematic as the motherboard is when it comes to RAM, it may or may not, but I'd suspect not.  The most reliable options I personally found have been either 32 or 64 GB of 16 GB HyperX 2666 or 2933 MHz modules.  32 or 64 GB of 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 or 3000 MHz modules seem to work well, as do 32 or 64 GB of 16 GB G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 MHz. 

Personally I went with 4 - 16 GB 2666MHz HyperX as it was the least expensive at the time and the benchmark timings between the 2666 and 2933 MHz were insignificant at best.  The 3000 MHz modules G Skill Ripjaw will run great, but they will be downclocked to 2933MHz by the motherboard.  There really isn't the kind of performance gain in the Aurora R7 that you would see with most quality 3rd party motherboards by purchasing and installing more expensive, higher speed RAM.   Best option appears to be whatever 16 GB modules you can find for the best price.  

December 17th, 2018 14:00

Is there any significant difference between 2666 and 2933? And which problems could appear if i'll use 16+32gb RAM?
Thanks.

82 Posts

December 17th, 2018 17:00

@deathvision wrote:

Is there any significant difference between 2666 and 2933? And which problems could appear if i'll use 16+32gb RAM?
Thanks.

1.) " the benchmark timings between the 2666 and 2933 MHz were insignificant at best."  I used several benchmark tools to do my testing, the results always showed a very miniscule difference that provided no real, or noticeable performance increase.  To me, the lack of any real performance gains did not justify the higher price of 2933 or 3000 MHz RAM.

2.) "Will it support 48 GB?  Don't really know.  As problematic as the motherboard is when it comes to RAM, it may or may not, but I'd suspect not."  I did not attempt any mismatched RAM module size configurations as it is a well documented fact that the R7 motherboard is very intolerant of mismatched RAM.  Personally, I obtained my best results by using only matched sets of modules in the R7.  The most common problem I encountered during all of my RAM testing was that the R7 gave an immediate "Bad RAM" error at power on and immediately shut off; it would not POST nor allow you access to the BIOS until you removed the RAM and reinstalled it to a known good configuration.  You could give a 48 GB configuration a shot and post the results if you wish, it would be interesting to know.  

December 30th, 2018 13:00

Dell Alienware Aurora R7 Memory Upgrade All 4 Banks (48gb?, i7 8700, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070)

https://youtu.be/XD5yyrnQnA0

2 Posts

January 5th, 2019 03:00

I'll be the first to admit I'm more of a novice when it comes to upgrade knowledge. I read this and several other posts when trying to figure out what Ram would go in my Aurora R7. I decided to try 64GB of the Kingston Hyper X Fury 2933mhz (I went with White to save some cash) I found on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJJXWNX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also added a 2TB m.2NVME drive at the same time, and after dropping both in, I got the dreaded blinking orange light and no boot. I removed the Hyper X, thinking it was incompatible and returned the 16MB dell ram and the cpu booted to my restore USB and I was up and running in less than 30 minutes. I read some more and decided to give 2 of the sticks of the White, figuring 32GB was better than the 16 I had. Slid it into the white memory banks and the computer recognized the ram and booted up without issue. I tried restarts and cold boots and it worked every time. Feeling experimental, I added the other two sticks of the new Kingston fury ram, expecting to get the no boot again, but I was shocked to get a boot on the first try. The R7 recognixed the additional ram, 64GB total running at 2933mhz. Again, I tried restarts and cold boots without issue. I've been on this monster now since Tuesday and it is running great. Aurora R7, 8700(not K), 2TBSamsung Evo 970 m.2NVME drive, (I left the 2TB HDD in, but unhooked for now), 64GB ram at 2933mhz.  

I do wonder if a future BIOS update from Alienware/Dell could kill my working machine?

175 Posts

January 10th, 2019 14:00

just curious as to which version of BIOS is your R7 running?

I fitted the same hyperx 2933 memory, 2 x 8 GB, which works but in single channel.  I don't suppose you remember when you fitted 2 sticks, was the memory single or dual channel?

1 Message

January 24th, 2019 15:00

There might be an issue with the way you put your 2x8 gb.

You have to put them in the appropriate slots to get the dual channel running properly.

You should be able to see white and black "fangs" for your ram. 

Be sure to put the pair on the same color. White with white and black with black.

The manual seems to be flawed on this point.

175 Posts

January 26th, 2019 08:00

There is no issue with the way I put the RAM.  From memory I am using different coloured slots - I understand for dual channel it needs to be same colour but when I did that, the computer would not boot up, with beeps signalling a RAM error.... hence asking about BIOOS version..... and yes, I tired all possible combinations.

402 Posts

January 26th, 2019 14:00

Is there still an issue with using 4x 8GB modules for a total of 32gb with BIOS version 1.0.17?

If not, the video showing 48gb of RAM using 2 additional HyperX Fury memory sticks looks like the most cost-effective method at the moment.

4 Posts

January 29th, 2019 15:00

Hello I recently upgraded my R7 ram to 32g (16x2) G Skill ripjaw V 3000 as noted that works through a very tedious forum/ reddit search (including this very post). It posts, has dual channel but is limited to 2133. I checked the bios there is no option to change the setting out the xmp 1 profile. Theyre in the correct spots (exact same spots where the OEM ram was located) but seemingly cannot find a way to at least get the speed back to 2666 like it was originally. Im racking my brain trying to come to a solution here but am not finding much more info. Ive search about 100 pages into the g skill forum as well. 

if any one has a solution or could point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Specs

R7

I7 8700 (non k)
gtx 1070
Originally 16 (8x2) 2666

New ram specs
Gskill Ripjaw V DD4 3000 
FC-3000 C16D-32GVRB
CL16-18-18-38 1.35v

The only things ive upgraded outside of this is adding two solid state drives which function as they should with no issues. 

Thank you in advance.

4 Posts

January 29th, 2019 16:00

Hello I recently upgraded my R7 ram to 32g (16x2) G Skill ripjaw V 3000 as noted that works through a very tedious forum/ reddit search (including this very post). It posts, has dual channel but is limited to 2133. I checked the bios there is no option to change the setting out the xmp 1 profile. Theyre in the correct slots (exact same slots where the OEM ram was located, 2 &4) but seemingly cannot find a way to at least get the speed back to 2666 like it was originally. Im racking my brain trying to come to a solution here but am not finding much more info. Ive search about 100 pages into the g skill forum as well. 

if any one has a solution or could point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Specs

R7

I7 8700 (non k)
gtx 1070
Originally 16 (8x2) 2666

Latest Bios version

New ram specs
Gskill Ripjaw V DD4 3000 
FC-3000 C16D-32GVRB
CL16-18-18-38 1.35v

The only things ive upgraded outside of this is adding two solid state drives which function as they should with no issues. 

Thank you in advance.

No Events found!