Kesryth
1 Copper

Re: Aurora R7 Compatible RAM Question

Jump to solution
If you still have the ram I'd be interested in buying it. I bought an R7 with a 8700 processor and 2666 mhz ram. The ram I bought has a base clock speed of 2800 mhz but the default initial boot speed is 2133 and Dell blocks any attempt at "overclocking" the ram to it's rated base speed, or even the 2666 speed I currently have with the old ram. Figuring out what ram will work, and what speed I can get is turning into a major headache.
0 Kudos
Kesryth
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The G Skill Ripjaws V 2800 work but boot at 2133mhz with no way to adjust them Smiley Sad

Tried 3 different sets of Corsair at 3200, 3000 and 2400 and they all boot at 2133. All from working machines that are running at the listed speed or better.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I still have it yes.

Absolutely we can work something out. 

Email me at <Email id removed> and I will provide pics and info as needed. 

I am at the beginning of my work week now so my replies may take a bit.

0 Kudos
ITS_RICEY
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
I recently purchased a 2nd 8GB stick of Hyper X 2933MHz and I'm having the issue with the PC not booting. You mention that 'Factory' 2933MHz works but I assume non-factory Hyper X will not work? So, would my best option be to return the 2933MHz, sell the factory installed stick and buy a 2666MHz 16GB kit? Thanks
0 Kudos
AlaskaWolf
2 Iron

Jump to solution

If you purchased your second stick directly from HyperX, then no it will not work with the Dell OEM 2933 MHz RAM.  There is some mysterious difference between the two that neither Alienware nor HyperX will comment on other than to say that there are "timing differences".  Your "best" option, as has been posted in numerous posts, including this one, is to go with 16 GB modules.  With the 8 GB modules, you are stuck with ONLY two; four 8 GB modules will not allow the system to even POST, you simply get a Bad RAM message at power up -- this fact was unfortunately confirmed by Alienware Tech Support, in writing.  You can use two 8 GB modules of 2666, 2933, or even 3000 MHz RAM, but the absolute maximum performance you can obtain with 8 GB modules is 16 GB @ 2933 MHz.  I opted to go with the cheaper 16 GB 2666 MHz modules which allowed me to expand to 64 GB of RAM. The benchmark performance between the more expensive 2933 MHz and the less expensive 2666 MHz is so slight as to be absolutely unnoticeable, and barely measureable.  I am honestly very happy with my decision.  Good luck!

ITS_RICEY
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks! This has been driving me mad for a week now! I'm relieved now that I know what the problem is... I'll return the 8GB 2933MHz module and go for the 16GB 2666MHz.

0 Kudos
ITS_RICEY
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So, the OEM 8GB Hyper X can be paired with another OEM module? I'd be looking to sell the OEM module but I think it'll just bite me in the **bleep** if somebody is looking to pair it with existing RAM.

0 Kudos
AlaskaWolf
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@ITS_RICEY wrote:

So, the OEM 8GB Hyper X can be paired with another OEM module? I'd be looking to sell the OEM module but I think it'll just bite me in the **bleep** if somebody is looking to pair it with existing RAM.

Yes, that is correct, an 8 GB OEM HyperX 2933MHz module will work with another 8 GB OEM HyperX 2933MHz module; it will not however work with a factory Kingston HyperX 8 GB 2933 HyperX module.  The problem appears to lie within the proprietary motherboard that Alienware is using in the R7s (R6s as well from what I understand).  You still cannot run 4 - 8 GB modules irregardless; the motherboard will simply refuse to power up.  Alienware Tech Support did get back to me to tell me that they found that 3 - 8 GB modules would work, but I was correct in that 4 modules would absolutey not work.  The downside to using 3 modules is that you loose dual channel RAM capability as the motherboard drops back to single channel mode due to the mismatch in Bank configurations.

0 Kudos
Ethan Pham
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

Do you still have the OEM RAM? please contact me at <Email id removed>

Thank you

0 Kudos
deathvision
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hello guys. I would like to upgrade RAM as well. I have Aurora R7 form this summer, with 16gb of RAM (2x8gb 2666). As i know i have 2 more slots free. But i'm not sure about compatibility of this PC. When checked how much RAM i can use i saw somewhere that it is up to 64gb (maybe when i ordered it), but just a half hour ago i talked with dell tech support and they said that it's only up to 32gb (doesn't make any sense). So if i really can upgrade up to 64gb, does 48gb will work properly (if i add 32gb - 2x16)? Also as i saw in this post best option it's Crucial RAM, i'm i right? Or maybe there is any other good suggestions? Maybe this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231969 Thanks Smiley Happy
0 Kudos