Dirtyratz
1 Copper

Re: Aurora-R7, compatible retail RAM question

Jump to solution

Hello I recently upgraded my R7 ram to 32g (16x2) G Skill ripjaw V 3000 as noted that works through a very tedious forum/ reddit search (including this very post). It posts, has dual channel but is limited to 2133. I checked the bios there is no option to change the setting out the xmp 1 profile. Theyre in the correct slots (exact same slots where the OEM ram was located, 2 &4) but seemingly cannot find a way to at least get the speed back to 2666 like it was originally. Im racking my brain trying to come to a solution here but am not finding much more info. Ive search about 100 pages into the g skill forum as well. 

if any one has a solution or could point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Specs

R7

I7 8700 (non k)
gtx 1070
Originally 16 (8x2) 2666

Latest Bios version

New ram specs
Gskill Ripjaw V DD4 3000 
FC-3000 C16D-32GVRB
CL16-18-18-38 1.35v

The only things ive upgraded outside of this is adding two solid state drives which function as they should with no issues. 

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Mr Foxx
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I did not check at two sticks what channel. It is running in dual channel now. My BIOS is the latest one by Alienware, 1.0.17 10/9/18

0 Kudos
amstel78
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@Dirtyratz wrote:

Hello I recently upgraded my R7 ram to 32g (16x2) G Skill ripjaw V 3000 as noted that works through a very tedious forum/ reddit search (including this very post). It posts, has dual channel but is limited to 2133. I checked the bios there is no option to change the setting out the xmp 1 profile. Theyre in the correct spots (exact same spots where the OEM ram was located) but seemingly cannot find a way to at least get the speed back to 2666 like it was originally. Im racking my brain trying to come to a solution here but am not finding much more info. Ive search about 100 pages into the g skill forum as well. 

if any one has a solution or could point me in the right direction i would be very appreciative.

Specs

R7

I7 8700 (non k)
gtx 1070
Originally 16 (8x2) 2666

New ram specs
Gskill Ripjaw V DD4 3000 
FC-3000 C16D-32GVRB
CL16-18-18-38 1.35v

The only things ive upgraded outside of this is adding two solid state drives which function as they should with no issues. 

Thank you in advance.

What is your BIOS version?  

0 Kudos
amstel78
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@Dirtyratz 

What is your BIOS version?

0 Kudos
Dirtyratz
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Bios version is 1.0.17

0 Kudos
amstel78
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@Dirtyratz wrote:

Bios version is 1.0.17

Interesting.  Thanks for letting me know.  Surprised that XMP is still grayed out for you.  I wonder if it's only active for those with K processors. 

0 Kudos
craig003646
1 Copper

Jump to solution
hello all can anyone please help , ive purchased another 16 DDR hyper x 16gb 2933 for my system with the single 16gb installed it says that its running at 2800MHZ but once i put the other 16gb in to make it 32gb it says both running at 2400MHZ is this right if not how can i adjust the MHZ speed please help or is this right once the increasing the ram that the MHZ is capped im lost im not a computer wizard so any help appreciated thanks Craig
0 Kudos
Ethan Pham
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I got the same problem. The problem is that the RAM that you bought is set at 2400MHZ for general use. You need to go to your BIOS and change the RAM speed to 2800 MHZ or whatever the speed. However, Dell R7 block us to change the RAM speed in BIOS due to people over clock it and break it. I'm not sure the recent BIOS update will let us change the speed or not, but you can try

0 Kudos
craig003646
1 Copper

Jump to solution

also after i installed the the ram from 16 to 32 ,it dropped from 2800 to 2400 for 32 gb it was running fine via testing but once i tunred off the system last night it wouldn't boot this morning , so i had to take the 16 stick back out any ideas ? 

as id rather ty to self help than put in a shop , as once i put the 32 in it wouldnt let me boot to bois can i do this maybe once its running with the 32 in it ,,, 

can i access it for windows with out rebooting the system 

0 Kudos
AlaskaWolf
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@craig003646 wrote:

also after i installed the the ram from 16 to 32 ,it dropped from 2800 to 2400 for 32 gb it was running fine via testing but once i tunred off the system last night it wouldn't boot this morning , so i had to take the 16 stick back out any ideas ? 

as id rather ty to self help than put in a shop , as once i put the 32 in it wouldnt let me boot to bois can i do this maybe once its running with the 32 in it ,,, 

can i access it for windows with out rebooting the system 

First, is your factory installed stick of RAM actually 2933MHz or is it  2666MHz?  Second, if it is factory-installed 2933MHz RAM, did you purchase the new stick from Dell/Alienware or from Kingston/HyperX.  If you are in fact trying to mix Dell and Kingston RAMs, they do not work together because of differences in timing betweem OEM and factory RAM.  There are a lot of posts in the forums about this specific issue, as well as the R7's overall RAM compatibility problems.

Second, I hope I'm misreading your post, because installing RAM while your system is running is just a plain BAD idea.  Potentially, it will not only void any warranty you might have, but it can cause severe damage to virtually every component in your system, including the motherboard and CPU.  

If you are running mismatched RAM, then no, you will never get to the BIOS screen, much less Windows.

0 Kudos