Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

4 Posts

August 29th, 2018 08:00

Aurora-R7, compatible with RTX 2080 Ti?

Hey guys,

I have an Aurora-R7 with the 850w PSU using a GTX 1070. I want to upgrade to this RTX 2080 Ti card. Would it fit? Would this card cause my system to overheat?

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 29th, 2018 08:00

@Matt0283 wrote:

1. I have an R7 with 850W using a 1070.

I want to upgrade to this card:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/search/product.php?cPath=43_1200_557_559&item_id=124172

2. Would it fit

3. would this card cause my system to overheat?

Thanks

1. 850w PS ... check :Yes:

2. Probably

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-PSU-and-GPU-upgrade-question/m-p/6154693

and

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-GPU/td-p/5757231

3. No

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 29th, 2018 09:00

@Matt0283 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

1. I read on forums that for Aurora's we shouldn't use open air cards

2. and rather wait for a manufacturer to make a single fan, blower cooler that pushes hot air out of the case.

3. However since I have liquid cooling for my CPU wouldn't that allow me to use an open air card?

1. Post URL reference

2. Good luck with that. For one, the back-panel of these (dual slot) cards are filled with ports, so not sure where you expect the air to be channeled. My thought is that's one of the reasons they are all open-air now (actually, seems better to me). That tri-slot card I saw might be a different story.

3. So, the air mixes in case (so what). Cool air is still is getting pumped in from the lower-front with fan (that you control). Hot air rises. Right, goes right-out the top. And AFAIK, even Aurora's without Liquid-Cooling, still have a top-fan (but someone who cares to look would have to verify that ... I forget). My Aurora-R6 has LC.

4 Posts

August 29th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for your reply.

I read on forums that for Aurora's we shouldn't use open air cards and rather wait for a manufacturer to make a single fan, blower cooler that pushes hot air out of the case.

However since I have liquid cooling for my CPU wouldn't that allow me to use an open air card?

4 Posts

August 30th, 2018 05:00

It was on reddit on r/Alienware.

Thanks for your input. I saw on Canada Computers that some RTX 2080 ti will be blower type cards but I think I'll just go for a 1080 ti SC2 from EVGA. Lot cheaper!

15 Posts

October 9th, 2018 14:00

Make sure that you get the right size card. The max you can fit in a R7 is just under 11" because of the front fan. I learned the hard way because I ordered the Zotac Amp RTX2018 and it is 12.13" and would not fit without removing the front fan and I am not doing that. It went back.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 9th, 2018 20:00

@crash42 wrote:
Make sure that you get the right size card. The max you can fit in a R7 is just under 11" because of the front fan. I learned the hard way because I ordered the Zotac Amp RTX2018 and it is 12.13" and would not fit without removing the front fan and I am not doing that. It went back.

Thanks for the heads up.

That's crazy. I wonder how much it weighs? :Smile: I know my MSI GTX-1070 is already really heavy.

Did you find one that fit? Or, are you waiting for the next one?

798 Posts

October 10th, 2018 09:00

I would also use the resolution and refresh rate of the display you are gaming at to decide what card to get.

Even the middle RTX 2070 is just as fast as the GTX 1080.  So again for those playing at 1080p, it’s overkill.  

The RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 / RTX 2080ti are for those gamers trying to squeeze 20-25% more frames per second at 1440p and 4K when playing games.  Those with higher refresh rate displays at higher resolutions need the newer cards.  So if you are playing at 1080p and 60hz and you are not pushing the envelope the older cards are fine and should be cheaper. 

798 Posts

October 10th, 2018 09:00

@Matt0283 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I read on forums that for Aurora's we shouldn't use open air cards and rather wait for a manufacturer to make a single fan, blower cooler that pushes hot air out of the case.

However since I have liquid cooling for my CPU wouldn't that allow me to use an open air card?

When it comes to airflow restricted cases the rear blower with single fan is preferred over a GPU with dual axial fans.  You would think that the GPU would run cooler and perform better with the two larger axial fans but the heat build up within the case can choke the card and the typical 10%-15% performance clock upside of the card with the axial fans vs the founders rear blower card is negated.  It seems to be even worse when you SLI two axial fan cards in a smaller case.  Also found it interesting that at high loads in air restricted cases the larger twin axial fans will make as much noise as the single smaller fan turning at high rpms.

Well done test here showing the relative attributes of the two types of cards in different scenarios:

https://techbuyersguru.com/founders-edition-vs-open-air-video-card-coolers-definitive-analysis?page=0

Also keep in mind that a longer card like a 10.5" or 11" max length card that will fit in the XPS 8930 or Aurora R7 basically blocks most of the airflow from the lower intake fan from reaching the upper compartment.  The card divides the case in half airflow wise and the swinging PSU restricts airflow upwards as well.  So the axial fans will be blowing hot air into the lower half of the case.  Fortunately the lower intake fan in the case is there to improve airflow past the GPU and the pci-e slots.  I would also remove the metal slot tabs per DanH to improve airflow and remove any unused hard drive brackets in the lower compartment. If you are using one of the lower brackets for a HDD, the rear one is better as it won't block the fan as much.

October 16th, 2018 10:00

Disagree, gaming at 1080p with a 240hz monitor still requires your card to have brass nutz! My next monitor and pc will support 4k with max settings, but not until we get 240hz. 4k gaming isn't quite there yet in my opinion.

Yes 144hz monitors are still good, but why settle for less than max? Especially those in the market for the new cards.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2018 11:00

Seems to me you are both saying the same thing.

Both:
1080p vs 2160p (4K)
and/or
60Hz vs 120Hz

greatly increase the load on the video card (if looking to maintain an acceptable FPS).

IMO, all-around 240Hz support is not a very realistic target for today's consumer gaming hardware (or even tomorrows). Also, not sure why you think you need it.

October 16th, 2018 17:00

Very often, a good gaming pc will hit averages above 150+ on max settings on any AAA title.

I am often hitting 150-200+ on Black Ops 4 (max settings) while using my R7 with 8700k OC, Vega 64 OC, 64gb hyper fury ram 2933, and nvme m2 drive. I would expect the same if I decide to game at 4k. It's so buttery smooth you wouldn't want to go back either man.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2018 17:00

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

Very often, a good gaming pc will hit averages above 150+ on max settings on any AAA title.

I am often hitting 150-200+ on Black Ops 4 (max settings) while using my R7 with 8700k OC, Vega 64 OC, 64gb hyper fury ram 2933, and nvme m2 drive. I would expect the same if I decide to game at 4k. It's so buttery smooth you wouldn't want to go back either man.

Sounds real nice. You obviously have that system dialed-in good.

However, if you're gaming at 1080p, I'm not sure why you think moving to 2160p(4K) would not require more horsepower or affect your FPS.

October 16th, 2018 22:00

I don't understand your reply.

What I was trying to say (in my own opinion of course) is that yes, gaming at 4k while hitting those high fps numbers would require more horsepower. Most likely the new generation of processors ie i9 or threadripper and of course the graphics cards to match.

I myself simply don't see the point in moving to 4k unless I can hit those sweet buttery smooth fps numbers on a 240hz 4k display (they will come for sure).

I guess more or less, I was rambling and steered myself into explaining why 4k gaming is not my idea of ideal just yet.

Apologies for the de-rail. :)

Regarding me being "dialed in". I am just using stage 2 OC with my own custom curves to compliment cooling (obviously water cooled processor) for my Vega 64 (msi blower *not oem*) under OC itself. I am an AMD guy for the most part, and the Vega card has some serious muscle when undervolted and overclocked.

798 Posts

October 17th, 2018 17:00

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

What I was trying to say (in my own opinion of course) is that yes, gaming at 4k while hitting those high fps numbers would require more horsepower. Most likely the new generation of processors ie i9 or threadripper and of course the graphics cards to match.

I myself simply don't see the point in moving to 4k unless I can hit those sweet buttery smooth fps numbers on a 240hz 4k display (they will come for sure).

Pretty much what I was trying to say on the post that you disagreed with that I would also use the resolution and refresh rate of the display you are gaming at to decide what card to get.

I'm all for maxing for what is currently available.  I'm waiting now for the MSI Sea Hawk 2080 ti to become available for pre-order.

Specs say it's still a 10.5" long x 4.5" high card so should fit fine, radiator looks to be 27MM wide with a 25mm fan.

Specs very close to current Sea Hawk 1080 I have installed now so should fit in the same chassis.

I have my eye on upgrading my 2 year old 34" 3440 x 1440 60hz to either 120mhz or 144mhz over the holidays.

798 Posts

October 17th, 2018 17:00

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

Regarding me being "dialed in". I am just using stage 2 OC with my own custom curves to compliment cooling (obviously water cooled processor) for my Vega 64 (msi blower *not oem*) under OC itself. I am an AMD guy for the most part, and the Vega card has some serious muscle when undervolted and overclocked.

Nice rig.  How are the temps of that Vega 64 GPU when you are running it at 90+% in the R7?   It is rear blower from what I am seeing so at least the heat is exhausted out of the back of the case.

No Events found!