Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

October 5th, 2019 20:00

Aurora R7, freezes for several seconds

Hi all,

My Aurora R7 has been working well for almost 1 year, but recently it randomly stuck not only when playing games, but also when browsing websites. The screen just freezes, I can't move the mouse or anything, and the sound still plays but in a noisy way. This usually lasts for a few seconds then everything goes back to normal automatically. I've updated to the latest graphic driver, but this problem still persists. Here are my specs:

Windows 10 Home
16GB RAM
i7-8700K CPU
RTX 2080 GPU

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

October 11th, 2019 05:00

Seems a common issue with some R7's including mine a year ago. Mine was related to NVIDIA and the famous 117 error. Also theres a thread going on right now from yesterday with what seems like a similar issue.

What to do is check Reliability History (Start search and start typing Reliability) and it will list the error(s) and then click technical details (something to that effect) and you can post back the error.

671 Posts

October 11th, 2019 14:00

Hello Troy, we haven't heard from you in a while. Were you able to test out the method we suggested? 

402 Posts

October 12th, 2019 13:00

My R7 random freezing most likely had to do with Intel's RST drivers. It disappearsd when I reinstalled Windows using AHCI instead of RAID. 

The fact that your computer was running fine for about a year then suddenly started freezing likely indicates something software related due to a Windows driver update. The unlikely but entirely possible, is some hardware component is dying. No one can tell for sure unless you spend the time isolating issues and testing methodically. 

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

October 13th, 2019 10:00

Troy check Reliability History your issue is exactly what I experienced. Going here will tell you the issue.

Capture.JPG

1 Message

February 20th, 2020 13:00

Mine is doing the same thing.  The reliability report says it's a hardware issue.

Problem Event Name: Live Kernel Event

Code: 117

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 20th, 2020 14:00

@Andyhoo wrote:

Mine is doing the same thing.  The reliability report says it's a hardware issue.

Problem Event Name: Live Kernel Event

Code: 117

Mine had that error recently. It was out-dated Nvidia drivers.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/7492048/highlight/true#M22717

2.5K Posts

February 21st, 2020 10:00

OP

The screen just freezes, I can't move the mouse or anything

did you first try to use a real USB keyboard, no wireless keyboard , only REAL

then when it freeze learn to do these tests.

1. does the caps lock key go dead, (LEDcaps lock will not toggle)
  2. control+alt _delete, is that DEAD too?

forget the mouse for now use a real keyboard,

this must work 1 and 2, or the OS kernel is dead. OS not active or stuck in sleep mode, gee turn off all sleep modes and test the PC now.

we have one post here with 100s of posts and the last one , proved sleep was failing despite, 2nd post telling them that and how to solve it.  facts.

lead a horse to water but can not make them drink is here.(common)_

is this w10 64bit pro, if yes, (always run pro ok.) then this works learn to do that

if drivers are bad sleep is the first casualty of (war)

windows pro, run box type presentation "presentationsettings.exe"

no more simple way exists, TRY THIS YET    ONLY PRO is worth using never less.

presentation1JPG

there are other ways to do this, the long hard way in power settings in control panel

to be clear, vast ways can cause freeze'

1: overheating CPU or GPU

2: corrupted OS or its drivers (both) or infected,

3: keyboad dead. or mouse, or both. USB port failure gee try them ALL>

4: PSU problems. it or beginning simply overloaded.

5: RAM issues.

6: hdd allowed to sleep BAM you allowed that and is your error. Energy STAR rules, are law, if you don;t like this set it right,

7: USB ports allowed to sleep, dang really?

2 Posts

May 12th, 2020 09:00

I can confirm that amstel78 is correct. I switched from RAID to AHCI mode in BIOS and re-installed windows 10, PROBLEM FIXED!

I hope Dell is reading this and they fix this issue with their future aurora releases.

Great computer, simple mistakes.

PLEASE DO NOT install Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console. These drivers are for RAID mode only, it will crash your computer once you switch to AHCI mode.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2020 16:00

This has been happening to me for months now. A complete freeze of the computer for several seconds (maybe 10)

"Reliability history" doesn't show any issues at all. I'm going to try just updating drivers, etc.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 5th, 2020 21:00

You can try running the built in ePSA hardware test, F12 on startup. 

No Events found!