Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

April 14th, 2019 00:00

Aurora R7, front USB ports broken

The front superspeed USB ports on my Aurora R7 stopped working without explanation.

The exact error is that any device plugged into those ports is not  recognized and Device Manager shows the device as ''Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

I don't believe I've ever even used all three of the ports - so me physically damaging all three ports is out of the question. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've tried all software troubleshooting steps I could find online, this post covers all the steps - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Fix-for-Unknown-USB-Device-Device-Descriptor-Request-Failed/td-p/5973953

2.5K Posts

April 14th, 2019 07:00

what you did is upgrade the OS from what  came with the PC (#`1 all time answer is this !)

so now the drivers are missing on advanced newer USB ports, USB3  failures are classic in this way.

so why not go to your  support page now and get them, for your exact PC and exact OS. unstated by you.

Point 2, so the PC internet works and Microsoft w10 plug and play fails to load these USB drivers, (really?)

Support for Alienware Aurora R7

one of these covers drivers, missing windows 10 64bit ONLY.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/drivers

my wild guess is the Intel USB-C Thurderbolt Drivers are missing or corrupted so load them fresh.

easy no?

August 10th, 2021 14:00

Almost exact same thing happened to me but on an R6 and it was not from upgrading anything. 

In addition, I am now getting three fan errors. I suspect a virus or a part failed and it has led to other issues now. I am thinking either the power supply as the 3 fan errors and the only fan I can find of a total of 4 (I think there are four maybe) is the fan on the PSU is the only one stalling.

Yes, I agree physically damaging all three ports or all three fans simultaneously is weird. I am thinking it is either a failed part or the motherboard is damaged somewhere but why it happened it is bothering me as it is a very nice computer and only 4 years old and now suddenly I may be in the market for a new one, but with all the parts I have it is making it a tough decision. Good thing they started selling the alienware at Walmart.

Also, I have tried reseting my BIOS and have run the ePSA and am kind of irritated that the BIOS has so limited options and from what I have read flashing a BIOS is really complicated.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 10th, 2021 17:00

@@" I am thinking either the power supply as the 3 fan errors and the only fan I can find of a total of 4 (I think there are four maybe) is the fan on the PSU is the only one stalling."

Nope, the R6 including epsa does not and cannot register or report fan issues on the PSU.

Also, the PSU fan not spinning is normal. The fan on the OEM Delta/Huntkey PSU is not supposed to spin unless the PC is under load.

No Events found!