Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

November 15th, 2018 14:00

Aurora-R7, is it liquid cooled?

I see threads on people wanting to change cooling and ordering liquid cooling and finding out it didn't come that way. I bought mine in March and was able to custom build and know I selected liquid cooling with the 850 PSU. (Alienware™ High Performance Liquid Cooling) My spec sheet below. Anyway to check the PC w/o opening the case to confirm its liquid cooled?? Thx

Premium Support, 1 Year Premium Support with Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year Alienware USB Optical Mouse Alienware Standard USB 2.0 Keyboard (English) Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year Dell.com Order US Power Cord None Required Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial No FGA No Option Included Additional Software Inte(R)l Core(TM) i7 Processor Label Shipping Material Aurora R7 Placemat Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French Multi-language) Regulatory Label CMS Essentials DVD no Media Thank you for Choosing Dell DW1820 Wireless Driver Dell Wireless Card (802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.1, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1) Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) 512GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive 16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz (2X8GB) NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X 850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis Windows 10 Home (64bit) English OC Controls Intel(R) Core(TM) i7K 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology)

35 Posts

February 13th, 2019 11:00

Hey thanks a lot for posting that Amstel, I really appreciate it.

How do you get to the "Manage Thermal Systems" though? I don't see it anywhere,

Can you (or someone) please explain to me exactly how to get where I Can see "CPU PUMp running" from the moment you open AWCC?

Also, how do you update the BIOS?

Thank you

402 Posts

February 14th, 2019 03:00

Manage thermal systems is located in the application called Alienware Command Center. 

As for BIOS updates; you just download it and either install it from Windows or from a DOS command line. Click on the following link for more information:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln148359/how-to-run-a-bios-update-on-an-alienware-computer?lang=en

35 Posts

February 26th, 2019 22:00

Hey thanks for the reply

I'm asking where exactly and how do i get to manage thermal settings in the command center

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 27th, 2019 13:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

I'm asking where exactly and how do i get to manage thermal settings in the command center

If Command Center is opening on AlienFX section, click Thermal Controls button near the bottom.

35 Posts

February 27th, 2019 21:00

Thanks for trying to help me guys, I still can't find it.

I found a "Thermal" section in the Ailenware Command center, but it looks nothing like the screenshot posted a few posts up.

Also, I notice a few posts up it says I might need a bios update for the command center to look like that?

i have 1.0.0 and just looked for the latest verion on dell.com/drivers and the only/latest version it has is the one I have.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 27th, 2019 23:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

1. I found a "Thermal" section in the Alienware Command center, but it looks nothing like the screenshot posted a few posts up.

2. Also, I notice a few posts up it says I might need a bios update for the command center to look like that?

3. i have 1.0.0 and just looked for the latest version on dell.com/drivers and the only/latest version it has is the one I have.

1. Why don't you show us what your looks like.

2. Possibly

3. Are you sure you have and Aurora-R7 ?

Are you still under Dell warranty ?

402 Posts

February 28th, 2019 06:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

Thanks for trying to help me guys, I still can't find it.

I found a "Thermal" section in the Ailenware Command center, but it looks nothing like the screenshot posted a few posts up.

Also, I notice a few posts up it says I might need a bios update for the command center to look like that?

i have 1.0.0 and just looked for the latest verion on dell.com/drivers and the only/latest version it has is the one I have.

If you do have an R7, it sounds like you have an old BIOS firmware and AWCC application installed.  Confirm that it is indeed an R7, then log in to Dell support.  Go to downloads and enter your PC's service tag to find the most updated versions for your particular system.

35 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 17:00

Hey guys, I apologize I didn't see this thread until a little while ago for some reason.

I feel foolish, I thought I mentioned this somewhere but it looks like I didn't . I have a R8 and not a R7.

This is the description of my power supply it says under the "System config" when I look up my computer on the Dell website:

Part Number
Quantity
Description
3D4FK
INFORMATION, CHASSIS, ANWFXCOLOR, ANDROMEDA
MH0HN
ASSEMBLY, HEATSINK, CENTRAL PROCESSOR UNIT, 95W, L-COOLER, R6
P142N
SCREW, M2X2.5MM, FLAT HEAD, MACHINE SCREW, C1018
1W428
SCREW, 6-32X1/4", HEXHEAD, THREAD FORMED, ZINC PLATED STEEL, BLACK
8R0PF
ASSEMBLY, BEZEL, OPTICAL DEVICE DRIVE, WITH LATCH, R5
D2N2K
ASSEMBLY, CHASSIS, PWA INTEGRATED, 850W, BRONZE, OPTICAL DEVICE DRIVE, R8
F484V
ASSEMBLY, BRACKET, THERMAL, LIQD, 95W, CENTRAL PROCESSOR UNIT, R5
J46J2
ASSEMBLY, HEATSINK, VIDEO RESOLUTION, CENTRAL PROCESSOR UNIT, 95W, R5
DU124
INFORMATION, EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM, 720, H2C

Here are screen shot of what the "Thermal" section looks like

Screenshot (2).png

402 Posts

March 3rd, 2019 18:00

It looks like it's liquid cooled, but why don't you just take the side panel off and have a look for yourself? You could answer all of your questions that way in less than 2 minutes.

35 Posts

March 4th, 2019 17:00

Well I did when I first got it, and from my understanding the Liquid Cooler looked like a thing with a Ailen head, with tubes coming out, and I did not see one there.

I didn't start moving things around too much though. Should I be able to see it right when I take off the side panel? Or do I have to move things around a bit

1 Rookie

• 

229 Posts

March 4th, 2019 18:00

Your thermal Alienware Command Center should look like mine. We both have the R7

Capture.12JPG.JPG

You find AWCC in your start menu by default.

EDIT: Sorry just saw where you have the R8 disregard my post.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 4th, 2019 19:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

I feel foolish, I thought I mentioned this somewhere but it looks like I didn't . I have an (Aurora) R8 and not a R7.

Here are screen shot of what the "Thermal" section looks like

That is some very new Alienware Command Center software. I have only seen that new version on a new Area51m laptop.

My Aurora-R6 runs AWCC similar to what was previously posted by the Aurora-R7 owner. I was not aware that Aurora-R8 owners were getting this "new style" v5.2.x software.

But according to this, I guess they do:

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-aurora-r8-desktop.html

So, I guess that explains why yours looks different.

402 Posts

March 6th, 2019 02:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

Well I did when I first got it, and from my understanding the Liquid Cooler looked like a thing with a Ailen head, with tubes coming out, and I did not see one there.

I didn't start moving things around too much though. Should I be able to see it right when I take off the side panel? Or do I have to move things around a bit

Pop the side panel off. Push the two black slider tabs on the back of the computer down to free the power supply. Gently swing the power supply out and you should see the motherboard. Once you see the motherboard, if your PC has a liquid cooler, you'll be able to see the cold plate with tubes coming out of it. 

No Events found!