Wooster1517
1 Copper

Aurora-R7, possible to buy 2933MHz HyperX Fury from Dell?

I am scheduled to get a an Aurora R7 tomorrow.  The specs are 8700k, 1080 Ti, 16gb 2933, water cooled 850 power supply, 512 m2 ssd and 1 tb 7200 rpm drives.

When I spoke to the sales person in chat and on the phone I asked how the 16b of ram would be divided into sticks.  I was informed if I got 16gb it would be 8 and 8.  32gb would be 16 and 16.  I have a record of the chat proving this.  My invoice shows that it is single channel 2933 16gb.  So it would appear I have run into the same problem as other people here.

What I would like to know is the following:

1) Is it impossible to buy 2933 16gb sticks from dell as an upgrade still?

2) If I bought a 2666 16gb x 2 HyperX Fury kit from Newegg would that work in my machine as dual channel? Would it allow me to overclock?  Would it void my warranty?  In this situation I would be entirely removing the 16gb 2993 stick.  I do not expect to use it with a 2666 pair.

3) What is the return process like for these machines if I am forced to do that?  I am extremely disappointed in this situation and I feel misled.  I paid a decent amount for this computer and I expected it to have dual channel support based on my conversation with the sales person.

Thank you to anybody who takes the time to help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: Is it possible to buy 2933 HyperX Fury from Dell yet?

Someone from Dell will have to answer your question.

However, did you see this? He said his was coming with TWO 8gb DIMMs = 16gb 

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/What-2666-RAM-does-Aurora-R7-ship-with/m-p/6125648#M46...

Let's see what you get. Did they only fix the configurator for the normal-speed memory?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
crash2000
1 Nickel

I bought my system from dell with 1 8GB stick...

I have another on order from amazon, which kingston said will work in this system...

ill let u know next week...

your packing slip shows how many sticks your getting fyi

0 Kudos

A note concerning retail Kingston XMP 2933MHz memory. The XMP 2933MHz memory sold in the Aurora-R7 has customized memory timing and voltage levels implemented into the SPD of the XMP memory. The non-validated retail Kingston XMP 2933MHz memory will have different settings that are not optimized for the Aurora-R7 and could result in issues which we will not address. Our advice, only use our customized XMP 2933MHz memory =

RMWRN 16GB, 2933MHz, DDR4, 2Gx64, 8K, 288 Pin, 2Rx8, Dual Rank, Unbuffered, 1.35V, Non-ECC, XMP

J69DF 8GB, 2933MHz, DDR4, 1Gx64, 8K, 288 Pin, 1Rx8, Single Rank, Unbuffered, 1.35V, Non-ECC, XMP

0 Kudos
crash2000
1 Nickel

umm the ram with my area51, is kingston hyper x fury , 2933 8gb

I just bought and installed another 8gb kingston hyper x fury 2933 ram , from kingston directly...  install went smooth no issues, had to go into the bios on first boot, ram is running fine and at speed,,,

0 Kudos
Wooster1517
1 Copper

I'm sorry that I have taken so long to respond here.  I got extremely sick to the point that I couldn't even walk around the house.

So my computer arrived with one 16gb 2933 stick.  It is operating in single channel mode.

I am not returning the computer.  I absolutely love it.  It runs extremely quiet and cool.  I previously used a dual Xeon Mac Pro system that heated up the entire room several degrees.  The new machine even improves my sleep.

I am very disappointed that I can't order more of the special dell hyperx fury 2933 by itself and I'm livid with the sales team for lying to me, but overall this has been a positive experience for me.

0 Kudos

@ChrisM

RMWRN - 16gb HyperX ddr4 2933......are these modules same as dell use in the r8?

0 Kudos