Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

2 Posts

June 20th, 2018 05:00

Aurora R7, storage question

I have the Aurora R7 desktop coming soon. And I am trying to find some information regarding upgrades,

My machine has a 1080 ti video card, and a 128 ssd m.2 as the main drive with a 2b 7200 rpm hdd as secondary storage. 

Because of a mistake on Amazon, I will be receiveing 3 NVME 1TB M.2 hdd, unfortunately I cannot return or get refunded, so I have to live with these items. 

It would not be so bad if my machine can take them. I can buy PCIE to M.2 adapters, but the question is:
Will my machine have room for them?

and in reality (not just in specs) is there any limitation on how many gigabytes of storage (in total) I can add?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2018 11:00

This supports up to 3 m.2 drives with m-key (which is what you have)

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboard-Accessory/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/

However, you cannot have SLI with this card installed as it has to go in the PCI-e x16 slot next the graphics card you have currently.

It's the only way you'll see near best speeds out of the other 3 m.2 cards you have in my opinion.

Should be a version available in both the US and UK. I'd see if Dell sell them as you might want it covered in the warranty.

NB: The boot function will not work, thats designed just for the x299 asus mobos. It'll work as plain drive expansion though.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2018 06:00

Congrats on getting the R7 Mak, I got mine recently too and I've been having a look inside..

There's only the one m.2 slot on the mobo unfortunately but there is 1x 3.5" SATA bay and 2x 2.5" SATA bays at the bottom of the case too.

So really for total drive storage you're looking at the max thats supported in 2.5" format x2 and then an additional 3.5" drive if you want it.

Most hd's in 2.5" are easily available and affordable for up to 2TB each, there are larger, perhaps 4TB but they will be thicker 15mm drives and they 'might' not fit in the bays. Someone else will need to advise on that as I haven't had chance to look at the 2.5" bays closely yet.

You could replace the 128GB m.2 that comes with the R7 with your 1TB m.2 but to do that without losing windows and all the dell settings etc you will need to take an image of the 128GB drive using something like clonezilla onto a separate drive and restore the image onto the 1TB m.2 drive you have. That takes some knowledge and practice though, maybe Dell would do it for you if you got on the phone quick and offered to post them an m.2 drive for the job?

No harm in asking I suppose :)

EDIT: According to the specs it's possible to fit 2x 2.5" drives in the 3.5" bay I mentioned, I don't see any extra plastic clips for that so I can only guess you would need to order some separate clips to go round the 2.5" drives that would make them both fit in that one bay.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2018 06:00

M2 B Keyed is Sata

M2 Not B Keyed is PCI-E

You can get 2.5 inch adapters for M2 B keyed to 2.5 inch drive.  You can also Get 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter.

So it DEPENDS on WHICH TYPE you are talking about. One size DOES NOT fit all.

NVME B KEYEDNVME B KEYED

https://www.amazon.com/M-2-Converter-Adapter-Enclosure-SATA-bus/dp/B0721Q2R8D

This card will take one or the other

https://www.amazon.com/Tanbin-Adapter-Controller-Expansion-Profile/dp/B07BJJ5VDB

When you use the B keyed part you have to attach a SATA data cable to the back of the card to the motherboard. This is why it says B keyed on one socket and M keyed on the other.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2018 07:00

Looks like a good idea if you can do it speedstep :)

I certainly wouldn't want to waste the money spent on 3 1TB m.2 cards for sure!! :D

You'd no doubt lose the interface speed ofc but no helping that.

To be fair, I've not seen many mobos (not just alienware) supporting 3 m.2 card slots, perhaps because there'd be lane sharing issues.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2018 08:00

These are the drives i am referring to:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Performance-NVMe-PCIe-WDS100T2X0C/dp/B07BRCLMTS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529506400&sr=1-3&keywords=wd+nvme+black+1tb

I'm kinda new to this are and haven't been researching it long, but I believe the key on M.2 is just a physical attribute and that  protocols and whatnot is the same on all NVME drives.

So to my understanding, as long as motherboard doesn't have limitations beyond physical attributes of connectors, I can ad more NVME drives using adapters.

This is why I am looking into ways of making use of my 3 NVME M.2 without losing the NVME speed. whether through PCIE or U.2, But I can't seem to find solid info on whether this is doable. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

June 11th, 2019 10:00

@pt3pt3 wrote:

has anyone been able to get the Asus Hyper to work in their Aurora R7? I can only see one nvme drive and only when its installed in the first slot.

You'd probably need to set the slot for x4x4x4x4 bifurcation in bios, if supported.  

edit: Or x4x4 - note above, someone posted that the R8 slot #1 runs at x8, so that's probably the same for the r7. 

1 Message

June 11th, 2019 10:00

has anyone been able to get the Asus Hyper to work in their Aurora R7? I can only see one nvme drive and only when its installed in the first slot.

No Events found!