Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

May 9th, 2020 16:00

Aurora R7, thermal sensors

I got my aurora R7 a few years ago and just recently noticed the fans never turning on, I went ahead and looked into thermal controller and was greeted with a few odd things 1) CPU pump failed 2) HDD, CPU, and PCL sensors all showing 0*C 3) both my top and front fan on idle. I downloaded NZXT cam to check my thermals on a secondary source and all my thermals were showing, however where it showed fan speed it said "N/A". my computer has been regularly heating up due to the fans not kicking in. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 9th, 2020 17:00

@sammyplays    I got my aurora R7 a few years ago and just recently noticed the fans never turning on

The lucky thing is you noticed it after only a few years. Allowed to persist, that could cause some real damage.

May 9th, 2020 18:00

No, sorry i should have clarified my pc did not have this problem until around a month ago, at which point i contacted a local repair shop and asked for some help, just got it back the order week and havent had any progress

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 9th, 2020 20:00

@sammyplays wrote:

No, sorry i should have clarified my pc did not have this problem until around a month ago, at which point i contacted a local repair shop and asked for some help, just got it back the order week and havent had any progress

There was a BIOS update version 1.0.20 that came out 4/6/20, and which by default gets automatically installed by Dell Supportassist. This update has been causing several issues for a number of users who updated.  You can type in "supportassist" on the bottom left box of your PC, and then click on "history" in the box that pops up, to see if version 1.0.20 was installed recently.  If the troubles you are experiencing started coming up around the same time that the BIOS update was installed on your PC, you might try downgrading to BIOS version 1.0.19 by clicking here, and see if that resolves your issue:  https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=gvt0j&oscode=biosa&productcode=alienware-aurora-r7-desktop

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Reinstalling AWCC would normally be a good first step and may still be worth a try, but I'd note that a number of other people had this exact same issue with their R7 and reinstalling AWCC (and clearing CMOS) didn't help them.  

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

maybe uninstall AWCC completely and reinstall it?  for some reason your AWCC was detecting super low temps so it decided to shut down all fans accordingly?  Have you tried HWMonitor?  If it is a bios error preventing temps and fan speeds from being picked up from motherboard, presumably that might affect any temperature and PWM fan monitoring apps?  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Do keep in mind though, that there's always risk in upgrading (or downgrading) BIOs.  That's part of the reason why I have automatic Dell updates turned off on my PC. 

May 10th, 2020 06:00

I degraded my bios and uninstalled then reinstalled AWCC and yet there has been no progress, but now whenever I open up AWCC I'm immediately met with a few messages from user account control asking if I want to allow command center to make changes. if i click no on any of them AWCC doesn't launch.

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

May 10th, 2020 10:00

I know it sounds drastic but if I were in such software situation I would wipe my hdd to do clean install of Win 10 then clean install of AWCC.  Did you downgrade bios to ver, it originally came with?  If yes what is ver. #?

No Events found!