Alienware Desktops

Last reply by 06-06-2020 Solved
Start a Discussion
3 Zinc

Aurora R7, upgrade to i9-9900K?

Would it be possible down the road to upgrade the  i7-8700K in my Aurora-R7? I ask because the new i9-9900K CPU's are still utilizing the LGA-1151 socket. In addition, many benchmark tests of the i9-9900K online seem to show the CPU running on Intel Z370 chipset. I'm assuming at least from what I know that an upgrade path is feasible as long as Dell updates the BIOS on the Aurora-R7?

ETA: just saw this which seems to confirm my assumption: https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-core-i9-z370-support

Replies (175)

Has anyone plucked up the courage to install R8 BIOS on an R7,M, if so, what was the result?

I tried once. All I got was an error message saying the BIOS file wasn't compatible with my computer.

Welp i made a big mistake.

Time to throw together a personal computer and be able to actually mess with BIOS settings beyond boot order.

7 Thorium

@amstel78 wrote:

Would it be possible down the road to upgrade the  i7-8700K in my Aurora-R7? I ask because the new i9-9900K CPU's are still utilizing the LGA-1151 socket. In addition, many benchmark tests of the i9-9900K online seem to show the CPU running on Intel Z370 chipset. I'm assuming at least from what I know that an upgrade path is feasible as long as Dell updates the BIOS on the Aurora-R7?

ETA: just saw this which seems to confirm my assumption: https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-core-i9-z370-support

I've never really seen Dell, HP, or Lenovo support an Intel processors family that it didn't initially ship with. Especially not on consumer models (Alienware is NOT business-class). None of them use Retail (after-market/custom-build) Motherboards. 

You can look to business-class models (OptiPlex and Precision) for a wider range of installable processors, but pretty sure above statement still applies. They do have a slightly longer life-cycle.

It's hard for a motherboard (and company) to support a processor that hasn't been released yet, but this caught my attention.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-i7-8086k-compatible/m-p/6115941#M4478

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

Welp, I guess I'll be returning my Alienware Aurora R7 i JUST purchased. Especially since its still within the return policy date. I'll just wait until i guess the new one ships with the i9. 

@moe9992 wrote:

Welp, I guess I'll be returning my Alienware Aurora R7 i JUST purchased. Especially since its still within the return policy date. I'll just wait until i guess the new one ships with the i9. 

I think the (possible) future Aurora-R8 will only have an Intel-i7. Aren't the i9's considered "enthusiast" and reserved for Area51 ?

I know it seems impossible, but no matter what computer your buy today for $1000, in 1 year there will be a better one for $1000. 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

It's possible Dell may use the same motherboard for the i9 processor. The main difference with the z390 chipset is the inclusion of integrated WiFi and gen 2 USB-C ports.  Otherwise, everything is the same. Also, preproduction i9 CPUs were tested on z370 boards without a BIOS update and ran fine except for an incorrect CPU ID. 

I may end up buying an i9 down the road and installing it to see what will happen. If it doesn't work, I can always sell it or return it and go back to the 8700k.

@amstel78 wrote:

It's possible Dell may use the same motherboard for the i9 processor. The main difference with the z390 chipset is the inclusion of integrated WiFi and gen 2 USB-C ports.  Otherwise, everything is the same. Also, preproduction i9 CPUs were tested on z370 boards without a BIOS update and ran fine except for an incorrect CPU ID. 

I may end up buying an i9 down the road and installing it to see what will happen. If it doesn't work, I can always sell it or return it and go back to the 8700k.

I'm looking forward to the results of your test.

I will be disappointed if they do not allow a bios update for the i9 on the r7 motherboard.

2009 DDR3 mac pro towers are hackintoshable to allow unsupported processors.

Older units from 2006 to 2008 are DDR2 so the chipset as well as the ram is not able to keep up.

Having a 2009 or better machine means you can hack it to be current including but not limited to running Mojave 10.14.5

Apple failed to come out with new mac pro in 2018.

The new proposed update starts out priced wayyyy beyond what I am willing to pay.  The other issues are now Spectre and Meltdown and Zombie Load.

Apple tends to update OS every year and force out old hardware every 7 years OR LESS.

Microsoft learned from this by making all future pc's WINDOWS 10 only and 64 Bit Only.  Intel plays games with sockets and ram and chipsets to force you to buy new equipment every 3 to 5 years.  INTEL, NVIDIA, ATI, QUALCOMM, etc have all signed onboard to the secure boot 64 bit windows 10 only for drivers and everything else.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

If they end up not supporting the i9-9900k in the Alienware R7 like all The other Z370 motherboards out there I plan on selling my alienware r7 and all my other dell computers and I will not continue buying my computers from dell. I have bought quite a few recently aswell. I've recommended others to do so, but now I'm afraid if this is the case that's going to stop and tell them otherwise due to the lack of care for their customers. If all the other z370 motherboards just require a bios update to support 9th gen processors then I don't see why dell couldn't push out an update for the R7. I didn't buy an Alienware expecting to be left out for no valid reason.

Planned Obsolescence: a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete & so require replacing

10/8/18: Intel’s 9th Gen K-Series CPU Added to New Aurora R8 

'we are already moving to new 9th Generation 8-core K-Series (i5, i7, i9) just in time for the holidays!' --> lol --> 'we', not meaning R7 owners, who got tossed under the bus --> Now – a mere 12 months later ... ... ...

'Because doing so would then take away from possible sales of the future Alienware Desktop model!' ... 'so we're not doing so' = tossing you the owner under the bus

Hmph. You'd think that all aftermarket board companies offering a Bios update for older boards ('doing so') would take away from their future sales too - yet - they still freely offer it anyways as a courtesy (who'd re-patron a board manufacturer or, say, a gaming company that failed to offer a simple firmware update?)(do the Aliens really think that after they dis R7 owners by turning their PCs into dead-end products, those same folks would reward them for it by coming back for an R8?)

'Our past customers may hurt future sales, therefore we must toss them all under the bus!' What?

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions