Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

42 Posts

August 6th, 2020 14:00

Aurora R7, upgrading OEM 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD to 1TB or 2TB?

Hello:

I know there are a number of Aurora R7 SSD drive upgrade threads on this forum. Like many here the 256GB M.2 SSD (boot drive) is just too small for my use.

I'm looking to upgrade my Dell OEM 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (Part No. 400-AVIX) to a larger capacity (1TB or 2TB) M.2 PCIe SSD.

Should I consider the Dell 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Part No. 400-AXJF)?

Or, however, would it be best to opt for a popular after market M.2 PCIe SSD product?

I'm considering, either, a Seagate FireCuda 510 M.2 PCIe SSD, or the Samsung 970 M.2 PCIe SSD, 1TB or 2TB. Are either of these SSD products significantly better quality and performance over the Dell OEM M.2 PCIe SSD's? Obviously there are many owners using these products.

Would there be any Dell customer support issues opting for the aftermarket item?  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 6th, 2020 17:00

Dell uses several suppliers for their m2 drives, so you won't actually know in advance who makes the one you get (luck of the draw). You may end up with a samsung pm981 (970 evo equivalent) or you may get for example a toshiba.  I'd just go with what ever is cheaper.  You won't get support installing an aftermarket drive but at the same time it won't void your warranty on the rest of your pc.

42 Posts

thanks for your input, that's what I was looking for (response on quality/performance)

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Also, you want top quality go for a samsung evo pro.  One of the last drives left on the market to use mlc storage.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

But I think $665 is too much markup for a 2tb nvme drive.   There are a number of viable options in the $250 or lower range.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-2tb-m2-pcie-nvme-class-40-ssd/apd/400-axjf/storage-drives-media

42 Posts

August 6th, 2020 19:00

Exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. 

I figured Dell's components (ie. SSD drives, etc.,...) were manufactured by 3rd party companies- just a matter of which brand, and what is actual Part No. crossover/equivalent (specs) .

In regards to Dell support for installation, I purchased multi-year Premium Support (Onsite/In-Home Service warranty). I still have like 1.5 year coverage remaining. However, Dell Technical Support, explained to me:        "Due to the pandemic situation no one would be able to come to your place and do the physical installation of the SSD. However you can contact technical support and get the assistance for set-up of the new SSD (ie. configuration, and Windows 10 installation).

So looks like I will be physically installing the new M.2 PCIe SSD board myself anyway. 

42 Posts

August 6th, 2020 19:00

Thanks. I figured Dell uses third-party manufacturer's for components/peripherals. Just matter of knowing which particular brand vendor manufacture's their SSD's, and what Part No./crossover equivalent (specs).

As far as Dell customer support, I purchased Premium Support (Onsight/In-Home Service) warranty. I still have like 1.5 years remaining. However, upon speaking to Technical Support recently, in regards to requesting physical help with installation of the new M.2 PCIe SSD board, it was explained to me:                                  "Due to the pandemic situation no one would be able to come to your place to perform the installation of the SSD. However, contact technical support, and get assistance on setting-up/configuration of the SSD, and installation of Windows 10 Pro".

So, looks like I will be performing the installation of the M.2 PCIe SSD board myself anyway. After which, I will contact Dell Technical Support in regards to set-up/configuration of the new SSD, and installation of Windows 10.

No Events found!