Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 2nd, 2018 23:00

Aurora R7 - which power connector?

My R7 comes with an 8700K processor and a GTX 1070Ti graphics card. I plan on upgrading the PSU from the stock 460W to an EVGA 750W gold rated. There is a power socket on the mobo that is throwing me off. It is a black 8 pin socket labelled GPU_PWR but the connector from the current PSU only has 4 wires going to it. What is this socket powering? There are already the 24 pin ATX and a 4 pin CPU power connectors on the mobo, plus my graphics card is directly connected with a 6+2 pin PCIE cable. So what should I plug into this GPU_PWR power socket - should it be a CPU connector (and should I only use one side with 4 pins or the full 4+4 pins) or should I be plugging in a PCIE power connector into it?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 10:00

@kclee1025 wrote:

1. My R7 comes with an 8700K processor and a GTX 1070Ti graphics card. I plan on upgrading the PSU from the stock 460W to an EVGA 750W gold rated.

2. There is a power socket on the mobo that is throwing me off. It is a black 8 pin socket labelled GPU_PWR

3. but the connector from the current PSU only has 4 wires going to it. 

4. What is this socket powering?

5. There are already the 24 pin ATX and a 4 pin CPU power connectors on the mobo, plus my graphics card is directly connected with a 6+2 pin PCIE cable.

6. So what should I plug into this GPU_PWR power socket - should it be a CPU connector (and should I only use one side with 4 pins or the full 4+4 pins)

7. or should I be plugging in a PCIE power connector into it?

1. OK

2. You are not the first to ask, and there are several threads about it in the old area.

3. Right, because it's a baby low-amp/few-rails power-supply

4. Like it says, I think power to the PCIe slots themselves. Some PCIe cards don't have external power-cables and even video cards get some power from the slot itself.

5.  right

6. It should be a 4+4 CPU Power connector. The new Power Supply should have two sets ... one for this (4+4) and one for the CPU (4).

7. DEFINITELY NOT :Surprise: . However, due to keying, it should not fit anyway.

No Events found!