Highlighted
Mr. Weston
1 Copper

Aurora R8, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Memory

I see that the r8 supports up to DDR-4 3200 and the Dominators are DDR-4 3466, so I know they are not technically compatible. I had 64gb worth on hand for another build and decided to try them out in the R8. I get only 3 sticks to work at a time though. Any reason for this? I would think the motherboard would reject them all. It's not the slots, it's not the sticks (I rotated them in every configuration). The motherboard will only take 3 16gb sticks! Any more and it fails POST. Has anyone gotten these to work? Is there a setting or tweak? 

I have bios 1.06. Bios 1.07 is available but so far It's been failing to update. 1.07 only has changes unrelated to the RAM so I don't think that is the issue. 

0 Kudos
23 Replies
amstel78
3 Argentium

Re: Aurora r8, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Memory

I thought the R7 and R8 boards could only support 2933.  Regardless, the memory would have been downclocked by the board.  Not sure why you can't get the 4th stick to work.  Must be something funky with the BIOS... again. Perhaps they don't fully support that particular line of Corsair RAM. With the R7, I believe it was BIOS version 1.0.17 or 1.0.18 that recently introduced extended support for Kingston HyperX modules.

0 Kudos
GTS81
3 Zinc

I have only 2 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200GHz running at XMP1 on my R8. Not sure how much higher the board can support when it comes to RAM speed.

What you're trying here is pushing the perennial Dell RAM problem to the limit. There's already posts about even HyperX RAMs bought without going through Dell getting **bleep** over and not to mention non-matched pair RAMs stopped working after BIOS upgrade. By buying so much RAM without paying Dell-tax, this is going to be an interesting one...

0 Kudos
amstel78
3 Argentium

I have only 2 8GB Crucial Ballistix 3200GHz running at XMP1 on my R8. Not sure how much higher the board can support when it comes to RAM speed.

Is it actually running at 3200 MHz or was it down-clocked to 2933?

0 Kudos
GTS81
3 Zinc

Gotta take a snapshot of CPU-Z tonight. It's 3200 MHz. Would've gone ape-bleep if it's down-clocked.

0 Kudos
Mr. Weston
1 Copper

The R8 will do 3200 according to Dell. Like I said this is over that but why would it take only 3 is the mystery. I'm going to try and update the BIOS again tonight and see if it makes a difference. If not I'll pick up some 3200 that's recommended. 

0 Kudos
Mr. Weston
1 Copper

double post, ignore

0 Kudos
r72019
3 Argentium

When you were running the 3 x 16GB sticks, did you confirm the frequency or operating speed of the RAM with CPUz and what was it running at?   

The R7 officially supports up to 2933, but there have been some users who have gotten up to 3200 running a post-2019 version of BIOs.  The R8 officially supports up to 3200, but this would be the first I've heard of anyone getting faster than 3200 on an R8.  

0 Kudos
GTS81
3 Zinc

I think one factor is the 1.35V vs the 1.2V that Dell's version of HyperX fury is running on. If you bought the Kingston HyperX from retail, then it's 1.35V and some users have reported issues with that. Maybe for all 4 slots to work, you'll need to have them running at 1.2V or during boot at 1.2V, with 4 DIMM modules, the timings get messed up.

Overclocking forums have suggested adjusting latencies and timings but we can't do that with the R8 BIOS. At the end of the day, if you want to go top-of-the-range with components, be prepared to pay Dell-tax or have issues like this. Go see the epic thread(s) on R7 trying to go 9th Gen CPU. I'm sure it's gonna get more epic when 9900KS is released.

@amstel78 , photo below. Will need for approval.

Memory.JPG

0 Kudos
r72019
3 Argentium

Not to nitpick, but it's the Dell Kingston RAM that requires higher voltages to maintain stability (not as good).   Dell Hyper X = 1.35V, Kingston Hyper X = 1.2v. 

Dell HyperX p/n RMWRN  =16GB HyperX Fury (DDR4,XMP,2933MHz,2Gx64,Unbuffered,Non-ECC,Dual Rank,1.35v,288 pin, Kingston XRMWRN-HYA/XRMWRN-MIE)

Dell HyperX p/n J69DF 8GB HyperX Fury (DDR4,XMP,2933MHz,1Gx64,Unbuffered,Non-ECC,Single Rank,1.35v,288 pin, Kingston XJ69DF-HYA/XJ69DF-MIE)

Kingston Hyper X: 2933 = 1.2v.  https://www.newegg.com/p/0RN-00F1-00080?Description=kingston%20hyperx%20fury%20ddr4&cm_re=kingston_h...

Kingston Hyper X 2666: = 1.2v  https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426C16FB3_16.pdf

0 Kudos