Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2020 14:00

Aurora R8, EVGA Geforce RTX 3090 install results

I recently snagged an EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming, 24GB GDDR6X and tried to stuff it in the Aurora R8 case.   

If you remove the front case intake fan it fits length wise.  However, the width of the card prevents the power supply from fully closing the case.  The little triangle piece on the power supply that has the cord holder gets in the way.

I could probably cut the metal piece off but wonder if there is a more elegant way of removing.  

I've circled in the 2nd picture the part that is preventing case closure.

Fits with front intake fan removedFits with front intake fan removed

This triangle piece is blocking it from closingThis triangle piece is blocking it from closing

Almost closed! The pic is presented sideways...Almost closed! The pic is presented sideways...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2020 15:00

@eastsider2    I could probably cut the metal piece off but wonder if there is a more elegant way of removing. 

triangle cutting technique 

November 25th, 2020 19:00

I like Dell630i's way of cutting off the triangular steel support of the swing arm. If I were the OP, I would also install a (ultra-compact) GPU brace support though. Without the factory plastic hinge, now that one poor PCI-e slot on the mobo is bearing the weight of the entire EVGA 3090.

15 Posts

November 26th, 2020 02:00

Thanks @Anonymous !

Seeing that someone has done it already gave me the courage to cut that triangle piece off.  The bottom half of the swinging contraption is weakened without the triangle so I need to be a little more careful when closing the case now.  Here are the pics

Triangle is goneTriangle is gone

WIth side panel onWIth side panel on

Since the front intake fan is removed from inside inside the case, I have a slim noctua nf-a12 in the case grill as intake.  It kind of reduces the aesthetic of the case front though as you can see the fans cream coloring.  But you can also see the RGB glow from the graphics card which adds some coolness factor.

front.jpg

15 Posts

@Anonymous @AuroraHasManyFans 

Final results (still need a GPU support beam)

Triangle cut awayTriangle cut away

Side panel onSide panel on

Need new front intake so have a Noctua NF-A12x15 in the grillNeed new front intake so have a Noctua NF-A12x15 in the grill

15 Posts

Benchmarks:

Timespy Extreme

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/15593088

timespyextreme.jpg

Timespy

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/15593755

timespy.jpg

When will I finally get a "Premium Gaming PC" ?   :sad trombone:

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

November 26th, 2020 10:00

Nice!  Just a heads up the the metal vents on the bottom of the chassis where the noctua fan is covering don't go anywhere ( so the noctua fan is pulling air from the other side of the case where the 2.5" hdd caddy and unused cables are placed. The plastic legend cases have outside exhausts but the R8 doesn't.  If you wanted you could open up thr bottom of the case so your noctua is pulling outside case air to cool the gpu instead of recirculating inside air.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 26th, 2020 10:00

@eastsider2    Final results (still need a GPU support beam)

Very Nice Job!  Enjoy your killer rig   

Consider this type graphics card support if it looks like a viable option.

Adjustable Aluminum VGA Support 

image.png

568 Posts

December 29th, 2020 05:00

Excellent job on the 3090 FTW eastsider2

Just to let you know and maybe others that also may be interested, the black version works too for replacing the front fan.

4 Posts

April 20th, 2021 07:00

very good job !!

Can the 850W original PSU handle the RTX3090 or you had to upgrade it ?

In such a case, which PSU did you use for the upgrade ? 

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2021 04:00

Hello there, could you give us an update on how the 3090 is performing. I am considering on installing it into my R8 as well.

August 5th, 2021 08:00

Yo man great job. I want to upgrade my Aurora R7 V.Card to RTX 3080 ti from Asus. It's length 318.5 mm. Will it fit into this case? And if you remove that front fan doesn't it kill the hardware inside?

2 Posts

October 30th, 2021 14:00

Look at my result bro ... a rx 6700 xt into my r8 ... i had to cut the corner of the frame and the power supply corner... exchanged the front fan for 2 little one 4 pins.   Pretty satisfied of my result

20211030_120222.jpg

20211030_115843.jpg

1 Message

July 27th, 2022 03:00

Hey Danyboyz! Thanks for sharing this very cool mod! I like the potential of GPU upgrades your mod opens up. And the two smaller fans sending fresh air to the bottom of the graphics card is just brilliant.

Got a few questions for you:

What’s the size / thickness of those small twin fans? If you can share the make and model that would be great!

Does the plastic panels still go on after the mod? I think the front panel would be the main concern here.

How’s your case / frame been holding up so far? Seeing that you cut open the front of the chassis, I’m afraid the case would eventually bend on its own weight and press onto the graphics card.

Hope to see your answers if you get the message. I’m interested in replicating your mod if I can get my hands on one of the Strix 3080s / TIs.

2 Posts

September 7th, 2022 05:00

Are you using the stock power supply that was in the R8? I don’t want to fry my card with too low of a power supply for the new 3090 

2 Posts

September 7th, 2022 05:00

Did you ever figure out if the 850 watt was good enough or did it need to be upgraded 

No Events found!