markburv
3 Cadmium

Re: Aurora R8, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap

Jump to solution

@Douglas729 that image has had me wondering for at least 24 hours 🤣 Must give me another -10°C on the CPU maybe 🤔 but something doesn't look right 😉 

0 Kudos
r72019
5 Rhenium

Re: Aurora R8, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap

Jump to solution

"something doesn't look right"

Lol yeah EVGA would be upset with the photoshopping of their trademark!

Funny, but see #7 fyi:

https://www.dell.com/community/New-to-Dell-Community/Code-of-Conduct/td-p/7433612

markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

I was looking at my super idea of doing that pull/push thing, andd I think I found maybe a small spanner 😟

If I add a pull/push on my stock radiator, the cooling system would move out around 10mm (yellow).
But the radiator will move towards the CPU 25mm (grey) due to the Pull ML 120 Pro fan added above it.

markburv_0-1611082820649.png

@Dell630i or @r72019 (the experts with me here 🙂 ) do you think that hose will go up (red) or cause serious problems in this maybe not so great idea of a cheap man's mod 😉 ?

😞

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@markburv    do you think that hose will go up (red) or cause serious problems in this maybe not so great idea of a cheap man's mod 

I'm confused (again)  🤔    Why do you think the hose will go 'up' if the radiator is coming 'down' 25mm? You will have additional slack in your hoses with which you may need to contend. Rotating the water block was the @GTS81  method. Your results may vary . . . just do what is necessary to make the hoses 'kink-free' and 'comfortable'.

image.png

View solution in original post

markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Well the hose is straight for now, if it goes right it will push the RAM, it can't go down, no space, maybe left ?

It is not that flexible, a bit stiff, if it goes up it wil have a U bend, up and down.

I am thinking about that it may add pressure to the MB mounts 🤔

Turn it, not sure, doesn't look possible to turn anti-clockwise, it will probably need 60mm to loop round to that angle, only 25mm is given in the displacement. Turning it clockwise, the RAM will block the path, even if I move the RAM to the white slots to have an extra 10mm room.

Fans coming tomorrow, has this kind of sandwich ever been done with the stock radiator?

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

omg lol, my bad, just to clarify, the hose go up to the case left panel 🙂 not the same up/down for the cooling system, sorry

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

That picture!!! why do I see it only now, sorry 🙂 the head can rotate 30° ?

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@markburv    the head can rotate 30° ?

Yes, it appears so . . . I do not have an Aurora, but the photo is a push/pull radiator sandwich configuration in a R8.

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Looks like an OEM fan pushing, 

Is that possibly the OEM front fan (25mm) so it would be the same size (78mm with 2x25mm fans), or is it the OEM top fan (38mm) + slim (15mm) above the radiator, that would be bigger (82mm, radiator 29mm + fans 38mm+15mm).

Anyway, I am relieved of my initial worry if the Alien head can rotate, thanks @Dell630i , hope it's nothing complicate like dismantling it 🤣

0 Kudos
GTS81
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

@markburv :

It is an OEM fan. Very sharp eyed observation of my tardiness. I was so exhausted after trying to rotate the 👽 head that I didn't want to change the fan that time. Actually there's an ML120 Pro sitting on the other side of the radiator doing pull duty.

IMG_7130.jpg

The Asetek OEM cooler made for Dell features a standard "toothed" design that lets you rotate and grip the pump based on the notches as seen below:

IMG_7132.jpg IMG_7133.jpg

As you have mentioned, rotating the head will cause the rubber tubes to exert rotating force on the pump mounts. You have to hold the pump with one hand to counter the force while tightening/ loosening the screws. I made the mistake of not doing so while unscrewing the pump leading to a stripped screw and taking hammer to rig.

Please tell me it isn't a nail in the coffin for my R8.Please tell me it isn't a nail in the coffin for my R8.