markburv
3 Cadmium

Re: Aurora R8, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap

Jump to solution

doh sorry, forum errors blew this up 🙂

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Re: Aurora R8, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap

Jump to solution

As you have mentioned, rotating the head will cause the rubber tubes to exert rotating force on the pump mounts. You have to hold the pump with one hand to counter the force while tightening/ loosening the screws. I made the mistake of not doing so while unscrewing the pump leading to a stripped screw and taking hammer to rig.

Wow @GTS81, very nice pics and thanks for the explanations!

Sorry though, I have a couple of additional questions just to help me understand better.

Which screws, the 4 mini ones under the cooler on the dark ring or the 4 MB fixing screws?

Attached to the MB or not while rotating?

Hammer? I'll make sure I have one handy nearby 🤣

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Oh another question... 😁

Do I have to take the MB out of the case to do this? maybe irrelevant 🤔

0 Kudos
GTS81
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

@markburv :

I was referring to the thumbscrews securing the AIO pump to the motherboard from the top. You don't need to take the motherboard out of the case to do this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@GTS81    Please tell me it isn't a nail in the coffin for my R8.

I considered mentioning the 'stripped screw' when I posted the photo upthread . . . but decided not to make you relive that nightmare    🍺🍺🍺      . . . at your expense, it was a lesson learned for me  👽

0 Kudos
GTS81
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

@Dell630i :

Yeah my friend. Alcohol and PC building don't go well together.

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Ok thanks @GTS81 and @Dell630i 

Started looking at the pump again, decided to prepare the work today, get the cooler out and make a plan.

Removing the left panel, the led connector gave in, the plastic lip broke that helps disconnecting the leds, black wire no longer connected. Panic, put it back together, broke the left panel bottom left plastic push in clip, also lost it's lip to fix.

😭Plastic, plastic arrrrggggggg

Light up pc, no led left panel, no led on 👽 but fortunately no POST errors. Must have been the -/+ power to leds.

Time to prepare plan B for more the radical idea.

• CPU Temps manageable but not satisfactory
  • Plastic stuff breaks
  • Little space
  • The twisting pump does not seem an easy solution

I love AW, my R3 was brilliant, I love my my R8, however they are limited, time to go forward.

New Case odered, last one in stock. Slightly influenced by some thread, sorry 🙂

markburv_0-1611146105864.jpeg

I see this as an intermediate move by keeping my i9-9900 and having an evolutive solution for going to a better processor later.

Now what z390 MB should I look for?

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Small correction for above, the right panel

0 Kudos
r72019
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

The C700M is a nice case.

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

C700P,  pretty much the same case, I found it nearly half the price of the C700M, so couldn't resist after the above problems. The case will be coming next month.

I still plan on making the ML 120 Pro sandwich this weekend, the fans are delayed now for delivery on friday. I shall post progress here for others albeit already done before, but if it is too difficult, I will back off.

0 Kudos